It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #1

lil'momma HB User
ovulation(releasing 2 eggs)

Okay I know this may seem weird but I was just really curious about something. When a woman is pregnant with fraternal twins( resulting from 2 eggs that were released during ovulation) Is it possible that 1 egg can get fertilized and the other egg not? I have heard of people being pregnant and say they had a period for the 1st month during pregnancy and that was it. Maybe that is why they had a period because the other egg didn't get fertilized? Is it possible you think? My husband and I had a little incident and I very much thought I was pregnant, at first I didn't but then a few days after sex I started cramping and have on and off for a couple of weeks. I started peeing all the time and felt just like I did when I was pregnant with my 1st child. I could have swore I was, I took a test at about 2 wks. after and it was negative , however it read positive the next day when I looked at it(could have been an evaporation line though) a few days after that I started me period. I keep feeling tingling around my belly button just like I did the first time , I really do feel like I am pregnant(could be in my head I guess, or may just even be a really bad crampy period I am going through) Anyways I know it is not a miscarriage( heavy bright period, no clumping or anything, it was heavy the 1st day and the 2nd day it seems to be very light) I just want to know for sure though so I don't end up with any suprises later like some people who have periods and then they find out later. I was really getting happy about the possibility of being pregnant again , but it wasn't like I was trying to so I'm not that upset or dissapointed to the point that I am exagerating these symptoms, just want to know . Also, twins are in both sides of my family (fraternal-2 eggs) so that is why it has crossed my mind. Would being on my period and taking a pregnancy test affect the true outcome ? I want to test again. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: ovulation(releasing 2 eggs)

hi lil'
i guess it could be possible for one egg not to get fertilised? i wanted to add my early m/c was only light bleeding with few severe cramps and few stringy likre clots tmi.
i think bleeding in pg is not normal and shpuld always be checked out to establish the cause afterall if a woman claims to be having periods when she is pg this would mean her uterus lining coming away and would lead to m/c. i think some women may bleed fairly regularly through pg and therefore believe it is their period but it is down to some other cause that should get checked out. i also have a friend who did not know she was pg for 6 months as she was having regular bleeds and only went to see the doc as she was having funny feelings in her tummy well she nearly died when he told her in fact she still wanted a test to confirm it, and she continued regular bleeds up till 7 months pg, again this could not have really been a true period for the reason i stated earlier.

sorry went a bit off track. i guess if you had a proper period and you got a bfn then it is most likely you are not pg. however if it is a slight bleed could it be implantation? i never got this sign of implantation bleeding but i am sure someone else would be able to answer this. take care

Old 01-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

I believe an unfertilized egg is sluffed off prior to mestruation. Your period, and the blood that comes with it, is your uterine lining shedding because no fertilized egg has implanted itself - not your unfertilized egg itself.

Someone pls correct me if I am wrong!

P.S. I am now 17 weeks, and I have been bleeding the whole way through. Bleeding is due to a couple of subchorionic bleeds which cleared up by 12 weeks, and the rest is from my cervix - I had a LEEP done Sept. 13 and conceived on Sept. 28 (oops!) so the increased blood to cervix from pg. is causing bleeding.

Last edited by **Peaches**; 01-11-2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: More to say...

Old 01-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #4

lil'momma HB User

Hi peaches, your answer was very interesting (as I did some research after reading it , I learned something I never knew before.) I always thought that your period was from an egg that did not get fertilized, I had no clue that an egg can get fertilized and just not implant and that be your period also. lol. hmmm, so I always thought birth control prevented an egg from being fertilized . I didn't know that it prevents a FERTILIZED EGG from being implanted. So anyways then my question would be... Is it possible for 1 fertilized egg to implant and the other not to(or just not get fertilized) and go off to be your period , and still be pregnant from the other fertilized egg? Sounds confusing huh? I was also wondering if a fertilized egg not implanting can cause a heavier period than from an unfertilized egg?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

When you have two eggs released and one implants and one does not you do not get a period to shed the egg the body absorbs it. Just like they say 1 out of 8 pregnancys start out as a twin and one ends up getting absorbs because it dies off for some reason. By the time you realize your pregnant or alittle after is usually when this all occurs so most dont even ever know there was suppose to be two. This is how a chimera sometimes happens. When there are two eggs and one dies off, the body the placenta(I think I read) absorbs the embryo. But in a chimera the embryo aborbs it and so it can have two sets of DNA. Sorry I got off on a tangant, if im wrong someone let me know.
So to answer your question, you probably would not get your period just because you had one implant and one not implant. The reason most women can get their period throughout their pregnancy has nothing to do whether a second egg does not implant.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #6

lil'momma HB User

Thank you rounsy you have answered my question. I also need to know if I re-test now, being that I am on my period will it affect the accuracy?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

honestly I dont know the answer to that or not. I guess testing isnt a bad idea except that with women who dont get the positive they want will just keep testing thinking they still are pregnant. If I were you I would test see what it says, do not read anything after ten minutes of doing a test, it is just a evaporation line. If its negative wait a week or so and see how you feel. I know the month before I actually did get pregnant I knew I was pregnant and even made the doctor give me a blood test to prove it, well it did just not what I wanted. I had it in my head so bad I was that I thought I was having implantation bleeding or something. Be positive!!!!
meg

Old 01-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #8

lil'momma HB User

Rounsy, sorry I got a little confused with your last post, Are you pregnant now? or you're saying you thought you were last month and weren't? I took a hpt 2 wks. after we had sex and got a bfn(later it read positive, but it was way over the 10 min.) a few days after that I started AF. I know I am mostly likely to not be pregnant, I just want to be sure because I really felt like I was and around my belly button feels all weird like it did when I was preg. with my 1st. I also felt the cramping a few days after sex and on/off for the whole time , also the same way I did with my 1st. I'm not really disappointed because we weren't trying to get preg. anyways, but I was still happy about the possibility. I really need to have my wisdom teeth cut out and will have to be sedated and that is why I really want to be sure , because if I could be then that would be really awful harmful to a baby.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Oh I am now but the month before I actually got pregnant I thought I was and wasnt. Then the month that I was I didnt think I was. LOL Lifes wierd sometimes.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

Hey lil'momma - why don't you write down all your questions/concerns and make an appt. with your Dr.? I'm the type of person that needs to know everything about anything, so that's what I do. LOL Like - where do my abdominal muscles go while pregnant?? Who on earth needs to know that? I do! Also have your Dr. do a blood test for pregnancy and then you will know with greater accuracy whether you are pregnant or not so that you can (or can't) book your dentist appt.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #11
(female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User

If you have vaginal bleeding and take an HPT it would still show positive if you are pregnant. It will be positive all through your pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'momma
Okay I know this may seem weird but I was just really curious about something. When a woman is pregnant with fraternal twins( resulting from 2 eggs that were released during ovulation) Is it possible that 1 egg can get fertilized and the other egg not? I have heard of people being pregnant and say they had a period for the 1st month during pregnancy and that was it. Maybe that is why they had a period because the other egg didn't get fertilized? Is it possible you think? My husband and I had a little incident and I very much thought I was pregnant, at first I didn't but then a few days after sex I started cramping and have on and off for a couple of weeks. I started peeing all the time and felt just like I did when I was pregnant with my 1st child. I could have swore I was, I took a test at about 2 wks. after and it was negative , however it read positive the next day when I looked at it(could have been an evaporation line though) a few days after that I started me period. I keep feeling tingling around my belly button just like I did the first time , I really do feel like I am pregnant(could be in my head I guess, or may just even be a really bad crampy period I am going through) Anyways I know it is not a miscarriage( heavy bright period, no clumping or anything, it was heavy the 1st day and the 2nd day it seems to be very light) I just want to know for sure though so I don't end up with any suprises later like some people who have periods and then they find out later. I was really getting happy about the possibility of being pregnant again , but it wasn't like I was trying to so I'm not that upset or dissapointed to the point that I am exagerating these symptoms, just want to know . Also, twins are in both sides of my family (fraternal-2 eggs) so that is why it has crossed my mind. Would being on my period and taking a pregnancy test affect the true outcome ? I want to test again. Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

My doc seems to think that my pregnancy started out as twins, but one was absorbed. My HCG numbers were off and they thought for sure that I was going to miscarry. I starting week 27 and baby is doing fine. I never had any bleeding, just one of those things that can't really be explained. They said if it was twins that they would have been fraternal. Hope this helps.

Amy

Old 01-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #13

lil'momma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'momma

After a couple of days since I posted this I took another test because I only had my period for 2 days and then it stopped. I don't know what's going on here, I took another hpt and it was negative. I've had my period for almost 20 years and I have never only had a 2 day period. It usually last for a whole 7 days. I think I will call the dr. tomorrow, should I see my regular doc. or my ob/gyn doc? and should I wait another week or so or go now?

Old 01-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I would just see my regular doc. He/she can advise you whether or not to see your OB/GYN.

Amy

Closed Thread