It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User
Question Softening of the Cervix?

i saw the dr today (i have been having very irregular contractions for a wk), and she said that i am still not dialating, but my cervix has softened a little. she scheduled me for an u/s next thurs.

what does the softening of the cervix actually mean?

Old 01-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User
Re: Softening of the Cervix?

(bump)

does anyone have any views on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i am not sure does it mean you are effacing that is, is your cervix getting thinner which it also needs to do as well as dilate to give birth to your baby???

Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Mine was thinning (2.5cm) and really soft and dilated just a tad at 26 weeks. How many more weeks do you have to go? My doctor said a normal cervix at 26 weeks would be long (4cm or so), closed and firm. Softening, thinning and dilating means your body is getting ready for birth. Some moms do this before others, but in my case, 26 weeks was way too early so I got put on medication and modified bedrest. I'm 34.5 weeks now and nothing has changed. My cervix actually lengthened a little. Another 2 weeks or so if everything is okay it's bombs away! I can't wait!
If your doctor didn't put you on medication or order bedrest, I wouldn't worry because he/she knows your symptoms/situation, but if you're not yet to term, I might take it easy a bit, just to be safe. I hardly have any contractions on the medication, but I totally can tell that they increase on the days when I'm misbehaving.
My doctor said BH contractions don't cause your cervix to change (soften, thin, and dilate) but real contractions do. Problem is, usually I can't tell the difference.
Just follow your doctor's instructions and you should be fine...maybe take it easy a little if you're not yet ready to deliver

Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I am 27wks today. So it is WAY too early for me to have my baby. I know that the cervix is supposed to soften right before dialation occurs. But my dr said I have not dialated at all. That is why she scheduled me an u/s for next wk. She said she wants to measure my cervix to make sure it's not changing too much.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

At what point during pregnancy does the Cervix begin to thin/soften?
What does it feel like?

I'm 31.5 weeks. I've been having sharp pains in what feels like the cervix.
I had my 2 week visit and my urine was fine. The doc, however, rushed me out
the door in about a minute flat and said the pains are normal. (He just listened to the heart beat and was ready to leave). My Braxton Hicks are still irregular, but getting stronger. I can feel the baby's head rubbing on my cervix when she moves. That might be why I have the sharp pains.

Last edited by Paet; 03-04-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Closed Thread