It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

mandimorris HB User
Please Help

My Cousin told me that having a glass of wine a day is actually good for the baby so I took 3 swallows of wine and that just felt bad so I called my Mom who told me that the alcohol I just drank will probably make my baby have that fetal alcohol syndrome. My Mom called the doctor and he said not to drink anymore (which don't worry I won't everything I read about this syndrome scares the heck out of me)but since I'm 4 and a half months pregnant will my baby more suspectible to it and is my baby really alright please give me relief its my first baby and right when I found out I was pregnant I fell in love with him or her so please don't tell me he's going to be retarded or something I need facts please help.?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Please Help

well if that is the case i might as well shoot myself now lol. no on a serious note i had a couple small glassess of champagne at christmas but i am sure my baby won't be retareded because of this. i think your mom has frightened you to death . yes if you drink regular or lots of alcohol there could be big problems but not from a couple of sips. it really annoys me how people offer their advice without being sensitive. i hope you are able to relax soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

As long as you don't drink anymore I would honestly say your baby will probably be fine. Of course I'm not a doctor or a psychic, but I don't see how 3 swallows will make your baby have FAS. I am kinda in the same boat as you, before I found out I was pregnant (I would've only been about 3-4 weeks) I drank about 5 shots of alcohol and then freaked out that I was going to have a FAS baby, but my doctor calmed me down and said that I shouldn't worry too much as long as I don't drink anymore (which I haven't at all since I found out I was preggo). Usually babies with FAS come from mothers who drink all throughout their pregnancy. Even my mother went on a binge and drank for 2 days straight when she was pregnant with me and I came out perfectly healthy(if that makes you feel any better.) I guess it all depends on who you are but as long as you don't drink anymore you should be perfectly fine Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!

Old 01-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

If you really only drank a few swallows,I wouldn't worry at all.Stressing about it will do more harm then a couple gulps of wine. I just wouldn't drink anymore...

Old 01-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User

I wouldn't worry. There was a study by the Royal College of OB & Gyn's that found no incidences of FAS when a woman drank less than 8.5 drinks per week. IMO that is a lot of alcohol. There have been incidents of miscarriage for women who consumed more than three drinks of week in the first trimester and also low birth weight. I talk to a woman in London whose doctor told her one glass of wine a day is her limit. I think that is a little too much though.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

candice12 HB User

Hey Mandi... my cousin also Mandy Had gotten drunk maybe 4 or 5 x's before she found out she was pregnant... (She was a party girl) and this was within the first 2 months which is when it would be the worst to drink alcohol since that is the time most people have their miscarriages and he is now 6 months old and SMART as a whip! I don't think a few sips of any kind of alcohol will hurt the baby. They have a Pregnancy for Dummies book and one of the doctors in there actually states that a glass of wine every once in a while would be fine. I actually saw it on the discover health channel but it was out of the Pregnancy for dummies book. No worries!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

A few sips will not damage your baby for life. However, next time, I wouldn't listen to your cousin. Why did he/she tell you this?

I always look at alcohol this way -

Think of what drinking alcohol does to an adult's body. Now think of what it could do to something that is 1/16 the size of you.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

There is no way that a couple of drinks one day could affect your baby on a permanent basis. At most, the baby might be a little sleepier than usual for a few hours!

FAS occurs when there is very frequent alcohol use in more than moderate amounts and is especially dangerous to the baby in the 1st trimester, but it isn't good long term for anyone. Do a search and read for yourself. The folks who scared you should have been sure of their facts.

Nothing you've done has harmed your baby. Fret not.

Barbara

Old 04-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

The most critical time to avoid alcohol in pregnancy is in the first 2-8 weeks of life...that is when the organs are forming. So I don't think you need to worry at all and especially not when all you had was 3 sips. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
With my ds I had a small shot of champagne at New Years when I was 24 weeks or so and then another shot of a light liquor when I was 35 weeks. He turned out just fine.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I liked my doctor's explanation for allowing women to drink some during pregnancy:

Back in the dark ages (ok, a long time ago, not necessarily the dark ages) there wasn't always clean water to drink. People, men and women, pregnant or not, drank fermented drinks -- wine and beer. They did this on a regular basis.

He also said that "science" as it relates to pregnancy is very "yes/no" but that it's not always the same for everyone. For example, you are either pregnant or not, in labor or not, having twins or not, etc. But if, perchance, something "out of the norm" happens to YOU during pregnancy than you are a "YES" while most other people are a "NO", so the science for you is totally different.

Can excessive drinking hurt your baby? Yes
Can an ocassional glass of wine or beer hurt your baby? Probably not
Can a half glass of wine one time cause FAS? Definitely not

Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

I like your doctor!!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

polbilly HB User

oh hunny dont worry yourself fetal alcohol comes from mothers that drink large amts through out their pregnancy, your mother shouldnt have said that to you, your baby will be fine enjoy your pregnancy
Jackson James born March 8th 2006

Closed Thread