It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Glucose Test Question

Hi pg moms! Ok, I'm scheduled to take the initial 1 hour long glucose test (I think the script says 50mg??).
Anyway, I was wondering- how much of this stuff do you actually have to drink? - is it REALLY gross?- and what can you eat prior to the test?
The receptionist at the doctors gave me the script and said I had to fast for 4 hours before, which freaked me out, since I'm almost always hungry, and the only time to take that would be as soon as I woke up- anyway, the idea of drinking all of this stuff on an empty stomach makes me want to gag! She then said that I was allowed to eat in that 4 hours, just nothing with sugar.

That woman didn't seem very knowledgeable so I was just wondering what you guys experience was with this??? Thanks.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: Glucose Test Question

I had to fast for 6 hours. I woke up and went into the office right away because I need to eat. LOL You know those styrofoam cups you get coffee in? I had one of those full of the yummy stuff. Some people I've heard have gotten lucky and had better tasting drinks, sort of like soda. I had this nasty bad attempt at being lime tasting drink. First few sips weren't too bad, but by the end it was pretty gross. Tolerable though. I just drank it as humanly fast as I could so I wouldn't have to sip it for long. Wasn't one of the worst experiences I've gone through since being pregnant so I can't complain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I am going in for my glucose test on Tuesday and my midwife scheduled it right away in the morning so I didn't have to worry about fasting and being hungery so much. If you are concerned about eating and being hungery perhaps you can schedule it for first thing in the morning.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

At my midwife's office (there are also Drs there) they always schedule this test for the morning. It was at 8:45am. I had a tiny little cup - like a shotglass size. I asked if I could brush my teeth afterwards since I brought my toothbrush. The lady looked at me and said "You're kidding right? Oh...you're not. Just drink it." (She said this all in a nice way, just so you know. ) It was red and tasted like juice - kind of like Hawaiin Punch. So the kind they had there really wasn't bad.

I was told to stop eating at midnight the night before. Drink only water. I could eat a light breakfast in the morning - either eggs, toast, or bagel with cream cheese. Absolutely no sugar. Not even mints or gum. When I got there they asked if I had eaten anything. Since I had, they didn't take any bloodbefore drinking the stuff. Only after. Had I not eaten at all then they would have tested my blood before hand to see what it the level is while fasting in order to use for comparison. I'm thinking it is probably better to not eat. Eating might make more of a chance of you failing the test even if you are fine. But definitely go by the rules of your Dr and let them know if you ate or not, if you have the choice of eating that is.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

Mamasita_of_3 HB User

I had my apt at 10:45 am and told I could eat just nothing with sugar. I had the Orange flavor high in sugar drink. It wasnt to bad, just had to drink it kind fast. Good Luck cause that 3 hr one is a ........ Much worse then the 1 hr. I was GD with my first pg and had to check my blood and on a strick diet but no shots for me. I was luck not to have it with my 2 or 3 pg after that one.

David Anthony 4/16/98
Skye Lyn 5/13/01
Faith Lyn 3/20/06

Old 01-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I had to drink 8 ounces of orange like drink (sorta like flat soda). I couldn't eat or drink anything prior to. I would take something with me, like at least a pack of crackers for after the appt. It wasn't too bad for me.

Amy

Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #7

Tweetymommy HB User

My first glucose test was random meaning I could eat what I wanted when I wanted and take the test anyway. I had the cola version of the glucola which was awful, like someone else said its about the size of a small coffee cup. I was told to drink it all down before five minutes. Well, I failed that test terribly and was brought in for the three hour glucose test which involves a 12 hour fasting (only water) and four blood draws. I failed that one two an am on insulin shots now. But if I were you I would suck up the four hours and just take the test, I know when your hungry your hungry but by all means try to miss that big one than you have to drink double that glucola stuff ----- yuck!!! I survived the first one allright but the second one with the larger drink made me very nauseous and I ended up throwing up during the second hour. Good luck,

Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I also had the orange drink, as well as with my other two children. I hear the cola one does not taste very good. It doesn't taste too bad, but I think the hard part is that they told me I had to drink it in 5 min. I think it's about 6 oz. I fasted from when I went to bed and went in the morning for the test.

Closed Thread