It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User
nightgowns/swaddlers

OK I have a question here - I am going to be a first time mom -

I have purchased some of those sleep gowns and also I have purchased those swaddle things that wrap 'em right up....

My question is: When you swaddle them up what do they wear under the swaddle?

And.... when they wear the gowns its just diapers I suppose.... but shouldn't you use one or the other? gowns or swaddles because they either liked to be wrapped or NOT??... don't know what to do here!!!

thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: nightgowns/swaddlers

Babies liked to be swaddled because they are use to be being in our wombs and they are born without being ready to be born. That is is fourth trimester. Check out the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Harp MD. He discusses why they like to be swaddled and it also shows you how to swaddle properly. If you swaddle the baby too loosely they can become upwrapped and at times that may not be safe. Please check out the book. I am an first time expectant Mom and I just read it and it makes sense to me.

They wear normal clothing under the swaddles, whatever they have one. In the winter I would have a onesis on under the gown, like those thin white ones. You can also use recieving blankets that are SQUARE to swaddle the baby in too. I hope I answered your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

I usually put a onesie on my baby and then a gown and then swaddle him. I usually have that on him at night. During the day it just depends. So about the gown or the swaddle, I usually do both and he seems to like that. They wrap them up real tight in the hospital and he really seemed to like that. They just had a t shirt on him underneath.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Thanks!! ladies!!

Old 01-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
(female)

JustinsMommy05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCouture
Babies liked to be swaddled because they are use to be being in our wombs and they are born without being ready to be born.

what do you mean by "they are born without being ready to be born???? Just wondering.....

My DS HATED being swaddled....I tried it a few times because so many people swore by it......but he screamed the whole time. He's a great sleeper now...12-13 hours at night....

You will find with swaddling, and everything else that it's all trial and error, until you find what works for you and your baby.

~*Justin Michael*~
~*06/27/2005*~

Closed Thread