It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

dragonsbeauty HB User
question about preeclampsia

Ok, the other night I had to go to the maternity triage, I was hurting on my right side, where my bladder is, and it burned when I urinated. Well, I had to collect a urine sample as usual, and get hooked up to the monitor. Well, my bp was really good, about 116/73. Well, they told me that I was very dehydrated, and of course, I wasnt drinking a whole lot that day. And I had dark urine. Anyway, I asked them if I had any protiens in my urine, and they said it was +1. So you know, I just freaked out, they said that my doctor wasnt worried and they gave me water. Well, I drank, more than normal, and had her do another test, she told me it was just at a trace at that point. So I am thinking why is it when I drink, the protien goes away, perhaps the water is diluting the protiens, when in actuality there are protiens, and I am going to get preeclampsia??? I dont know what to do, anyway, I went to the doctor 2 days later, and I asked if there were protiens, and they said no. OK!!! I dont get it should I be worried, because the docs arent, and they seem to not care to answer my questions about preeclampsia, and they know I am so worried about it. I am litterally terrified. Anyway, can someone help me on this subject. It would be helpful on what I should worry about. Oh, I have a lot of the symptoms that accompany preeclampsia, lower back pain, some stomach pain... swelling of my hands... but it goes away. I know that pregnancy can cause these symptoms, but do I need to worry???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #2

lil'momma HB User
Re: question about preeclampsia

Hi, I had preeclampsia the last 2 mths. of my pregnancy when I was pregnant. Preeclampsia is swelling, I had swelling all over, I had gained alot of weight and my blood pressure was high. They ended putting me on bed rest and was admitted into the hosp. for observation overnight, then they tried to induce me twice. Has your blood pressure been high? How much swelling do you have?

Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #3

lil'momma HB User

`Okay sorry, I see now about your blood pressure. Since it looked good, that's probably why they aren't worried. Everything is probably fine, but if you still worry then maybe you can start checking your blood pressure at home. (sometimes you can have high blood pressure and don't know it) however a headache is a symptom or dizziness, and nose bleeds. Hope this helps. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
(female)

dragonsbeauty HB User

They said that I also had an infection. I didnt know that this could possibly be a reason. As for my bp, I am on meds for it. So Its pretty much good, It gets higher but not too high, once I stand and move around, but, other than that its really good. I do get headaches, and get dizzy a lot, but I did that before I was pregnant. And they go away, and are fairly easy to manage. I swell mainly in my hands. No feet or anything like that. But that goes away too. Especially if I drink and rest.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Dragonsbeauty..are you still around??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsbeauty
They said that I also had an infection. I didnt know that this could possibly be a reason. As for my bp, I am on meds for it. So Its pretty much good, It gets higher but not too high, once I stand and move around, but, other than that its really good. I do get headaches, and get dizzy a lot, but I did that before I was pregnant. And they go away, and are fairly easy to manage. I swell mainly in my hands. No feet or anything like that. But that goes away too. Especially if I drink and rest.
If you are, could you please tell me what kind of med's you were on for your b.p. I just had a prepreg visit and was told my b.p. was high, but it's always usually good other than when I see her. Now I"m kind of nervous to get pregnant because of that , so can you tell me what they can or if they can give you something for that while you're pregnant. I had preeclampsia with my first child 7 years ago, and even though I've lost alot of weight and I'm healthier, I worry about this blood pressure.

Thank you!

MElly

Old 01-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

If your bp is under control and the main thing that is worrying you is the protein I wouldn't be too worried. I had protein in my urine during a prenatal visit towards the end of my last pregnancy and it was in fact due to dehydration. I never had it again. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

dragonsbeauty HB User

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Thanks everyone for all the hope and this actually eases my fears. My bp is good, and is still good.

No protiens in the urine has been great since. I also had my diabetes 3 hour test, passed it. Failed the 1 hour by 9 points.

As for the meds I use, I use a generic called methyldopa 250 mg. Works very well for me. My bp was never high before pregnancy, but it started getting worse way before 20 weeks. I am now 26 and a half weeks and still kicking hard and trying to stay healthy, and for the most part pregnancy is good, just have some braxton hicks and some soreness in my back at times. But other than that I am good.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

More than likely the reason you had protein in your urine is because of an infection. I have preeclampsia and was just diagnosed with it. My protein levels are extremly elevated because of the fact that well my kidneys aren't absorbing the proteins they are just expelling them. I had a protein count of 298 than less than a week later a protein count of 400. It truly doesn't sound like you have preeclampsia unless you also have high blood pressure and the swelling. I would think it's just you need to push more fluids. I thought that was my problem, but it sure isn't. And I truly wish that it was.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chysmom HB User

Lilmomma is right. I had it also with my dd the last 3 mos of my pregnancy. I wasnt put on bedrest but I had high bp and swelled up like a balloon. Since your bp is fine I wouldnt worry too much and since your the protine doesnt stick around I wouldnt try to worry. I was induced over a month early because my bp was so high.

Last edited by chysmom; 01-20-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Closed Thread