It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

amor HB User
no baby heart beat at 5 weeks and 2 days

I Need Help, I Am Very Confused . My Doctor Called Me Yesterday And Told Me That My Baby Was Definitely Dead Because The Ultrasound Showed No Heartbeat And That I Should Have A Procedure Done To Get The Baby Removed. I Have Been Told By Friends That 5 Weeks Is Too Early To Have A Heart Beat And That I Should Wait At Least Another 2 Weeks. It's My First Baby And I'm Very Confused. Please Help.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: no baby heart beat at 5 weeks and 2 days

I didn't hear or see a hearbeat with my baby until 10 weeks and he is doing perfectly fine. I would get a second opinion. That's just me though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

RainyNight HB User

Hun I would get a second opinion pronto. I do think 5 weeks is too early. They seen a fetal pole, but no heartbeat yet. For me even 7 weeks was too early still. They finally got one at 8 weeks. I am now 23 weeks along with a baby boy. I would definately get looked at by someone else befor taking anything further. Have you been cramping or bleeding or anything? any pregnancy symptoms?

Old 01-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

amor HB User

Thanks, I Did Schedule An Appointment To See Another Doctor Next Week.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

amor HB User

Thanks, I Had A Little Spotting At The Beginning, But It Stopped. I Have Not Experienced Any Cramping Yet.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

You are definitely right for seeing a different doctor. That's strange that a doctor would assume a baby is dead so early on, especially being that most fetal heartbeats can't even be seen that early. Maybe he detected it some other way? I would totally see another doctor though. I hope everything goes good

Old 01-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
(female)

shelcal2002 HB User

wow..first off I can't believe a doctor would CALL to tell u that. I would think that would be something sensitive that he would have called u into his office to tell u. And yes, 5 weeks is VERY early. Is this the first time you have seen this doctor? If so I would find a new one and get a second opinion. I am so sorry that you had to hear that from him. And please, let us know what you find out and how u are doing.
Take care

Old 01-15-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

although i had a heart beat at the same stage as you when i had my 12 week dating scan i was actually further ahead than i thought so that is peobably why. i think in your case a second opinion and waiting a while would give you a more accurate answer. i hope all goes well for you

Old 01-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
(female)

christy0108 HB User

I had an ultrasound done at 5wks 4 days and my doctor told me the same thing. We waited a little bit longer and they found the heart beat. I would not assume the baby isn't alive just yet.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
(female)

poor_meatball HB User

It's too early to rely on the heartbeat. Has your doc looked at your hcg levels or anything? That was the only way they knew i miscarried with my first pregnancy... my hcg dropped significantly within two days and was back to normal within a week. You should definately exhaust all your resources to make sure the baby is gone before you do anything about it... Good luck!

Old 01-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

I agree with all the posters. It's too soon to write this baby off and shame on the doctor!! Insist on having your HCG blood levels checked and another U/S in about 2 weeks, then another U/S in 3 weeks if the HB isn't found and your HCG is up.

In fact, if you have a choice, I'd consider finding a new doctor. The very idea of giving you such bad news over the phone and without reasonable care and time just makes me angry on your behalf!

I hope this turns out as you hope it will. Barbara

Old 01-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
(female)

waiting4baby05 HB User

I agree with the other posters. Get a second and even third opinion if needed. I didn't see a hb until about 10 weeks and it was barely visible. I think that is horrible that a doctor would say that. I know I just reiterated what others said. But I also wanted to wish you luck and hope that the baby sticks.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #13
(female)

amor HB User

Thank you so much to all for replying. I have been very depressed since the doctor called me to tell me there was nothing else to be done. reading all your replies have given me hope. I will keep this board posted as soon as I see another doctor. Again thanks.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Amor, I went to the docs and had an u/s at 5 weeks because of pelvic pain and they couldn't find anything, but my hcg levels were sky-high. I came back exactly 1 week later and there was a sac and a heartbeat. Definitely get a second opinion.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #15
(female)

jennyback HB User

I was also told i lost my baby when all was said and done he was 10 lbs when born glad i didnt get D&C. When in doubt a;ways get second opinion.

Closed Thread