It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

BsChickie HB User
contractions felt in chest

Has anyone experienced tightening in the chest and neck when you have BH contractions? I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and for the last couple of days when I get BH contractions, which have been normal for me, I get a strong tightening sensation in my chest and neck and my breathing feels constricted. Am I weird? Is this just all my muscles reacting to the contractions?

Old 01-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Re: contractions felt in chest

I have read in my book the farther along you get the more intense the bh are, and often times the woman can feel them in the chest and feel like you can't breath. I get them strong and I am only 28 weeks but they don't take my breath away yet. hope that help
Carly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Chickie -

Call your doctor and ask this question. Anything that affects your breathing is important enough to call - even on the weekend. As they teach in middle school health classes, the ABCs of life are Airway, Breathing, so your unpleasant constriction feelings are really in two important areas. Please call today. Better safe than ... you know.

It could be possible that this is early labor in an odd way since you're 36 weeks.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Last edited by BarbaraH; 01-15-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User

I am 37 weeks and I know exactly what you are talking about. I think it is completely normal. It feels like someone is sitting on your chest and mine almost feels like it's putting pressure on my heart. Sometimes it takes my breath away. Because we are so far along, it's just our uterus doing it's job getting ready for delivery! Good luck!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Ok, so that's what that is. I was reading somewhere that sometimes when the uterus contracts like that it puts pressure on one of the arteries in your chest/abdomen and that's the reason for the short of breath/tight chest feeling. I was really puzzled because the midwife told me that it was just the baby moving and stretching but now from reading these posts, I think these are BH. Have any of you noticed that it only happens when lying/sitting down?--that's really the only time I get that feeling.
Amanda

Old 01-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
(female)

BsChickie HB User

Yes, I only get this when I'm laying or sitting down too. I have an appt today so I'm going to ask because I actually almost fainted yesterday. I got up to go to the kitchen and everything started going black and I couldn't breathe, I broke into a sweat and ended up on the kitchen floor. My hubby came into the house and had to pick me up and carry me to the couch because I was so scared I wouldn't be able to breathe again. I think I just got up to fast and my blood pressure has been going up and down lately.

Closed Thread