My SIL's water broke around 3:30pm today but she's not in labor. She is also only 2 cm dilated. What is the procedure if she doesn't go into labor? She is 37wks tomorrow and has had horrible problems with her pregnancy. She is asthmatic and has tons of allergies. She developed bronchitis that never went away and coughed so bad she broke a rib. Now, I am just assuming that all of the coughing caused her water to break. When I cough really bad I sometimes leak urine. It puts a lot of pressure down there if the coughing is too hard.
If she doesn't go into labor will they induce her or suggest c-section?
Are there any dangers she could be facing with her water breaking at 37 wks and not going into labor? I know 37 wks is considered full term.
Last edited by roxyfoxy; 01-15-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Reason: forgot to add something
she needs to go to the hospital or call her doctor, you have 24 hours time from the time your water breaks to the time they want you to deliver. After 24 hours you can get an infection that can hurt the baby and the mom. If shes not going into labor on her own they will need to help her along. This is something they stress at my baby classes and my doctor has told me many times. If your water breaks go to the labor and delivery at the hospital right away.
Sorry, should have mentioned that she did go to the hospital. That is where she is right now. I didn't get any other information about what they were going to do and what the procedure was so I wanted to know for the rest of the family's peace of mind.
Hi, this happened to me with my first. My water broke at 5am, I went into the hospital at 7am and did not have any contractions. By 11am the contractions were very, very mild and at 2pm they decided they would induce me. My son was 3 weeks early so I would have been 37 weeks as well. By 2:30pm I was having some pretty good contractions and he was born at 4:39pm weighing 6lbs, 7oz. My guess is they'll induce her shortly.
As has been said, your SIL will have her baby within 24 hours of her water breaking and they may start her on antibiotics to protect her and the baby from infection. She's near enough term that the baby should be fine. If she doesn't go into labor on her own in the next few hours, she'll probably be induced. A section is always possible. Glad she's in the hospital where she and the baby can be well cared for.
Hope they think to stay in touch with all of you interested family members!
I am so excited and relieved to know everything should be fine. I had my baby in November and now she's having her's. She was due the 6th of February, but I am sure she is happy having the baby early. She has had so many problems with her pregnancy. Two grandchildren for my mom in 2 months, she's ecstatic! Thanks for all the info everyone and I will let you know how she's doing and if she gave birth or not.
She had her baby last night at 5:43pm. They induced her and she wasn't going into labor. The crazy thing I don't understand is they were going to let her go another 24hrs before the section if she wanted to try for normal delivery. She opted for the c-section because she felt that was too long. It was a little girl 8lbs 1oz and I am not sure about the length. Beautiful little girl with a full head of hair.
Why would they want to wait another 24hrs before doing a section? Is this not dangerous?
Since your SIL went longer than the recommended 24 hours after her water broke, I imagine she was on antibiotics while laboring. Your little niece would probably be sick if there had been an infection present in the broken sac and no antibiotics.
I'll bet your Mom is beside herself! Congratulations again!! Barbara
Thanks! My mom is estatic! She was on antibiotics, but I can imagine why they told her it would be okay to wait another 24 hours. She was still leaking fluid and when they did the section the baby wasn't even in the birth canal yet. This would have been dangerous, wouldn't it?