It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User
Swollen hands?

I've had kind of an interesting development in the past couple days--thus far in my pregnancy I haven't really had much swelling, but in the past week or so my hands just blew up. I was wearing my wedding ring a week ago, and now, I've got no prayer of getting it on. My BP at my last appt. a week ago was 120/80. I know if you have sudden swelling it might be blood pressure, but mine has been pretty low so far. My question is, can your blood pressure rise that much in a short time, or are the swollen hands normal at this stage of pregnancy? I'm 35 weeks today.
Thanks
Amanda

Old 01-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
(female)

LauraC123 HB User
Re: Swollen hands?

I'm glad you asked this! My hands have been really swollen lately, too. My wedding rings are usually pretty easy to take off, but lately I've really had to pull! I'm 6-7 weeks pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyz
I've had kind of an interesting development in the past couple days--thus far in my pregnancy I haven't really had much swelling, but in the past week or so my hands just blew up. I was wearing my wedding ring a week ago, and now, I've got no prayer of getting it on. My BP at my last appt. a week ago was 120/80. I know if you have sudden swelling it might be blood pressure, but mine has been pretty low so far. My question is, can your blood pressure rise that much in a short time, or are the swollen hands normal at this stage of pregnancy? I'm 35 weeks today.
Thanks
Amanda
Amanda, To answer your question regarding the elevation of your blood pressure, YES...your blood pressure can rise VERY quickly for numerous reasons, however, more than likely the swelling you are experiencing in your hands has nothing to do with your blood pressure. It is quite normal to have some fluid retention, especially in your hands and fingers at this stage of pregnancy.

Of course should you have any other symptoms of hypertension then you should be checked by your Obstetrician. Otherwise, i wouldnt worry so much about the fluid you are experiencing in your fingers.

Good luck to you,
Valley

Old 01-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I am 31 weeks as of today (yay!) and my hands have been swelling on and off for a few weeks. It could be from bp, but mines have been fine. I noticed at night I keep my hands tightly closed (like a fist) and my midwife said that would def. make them swell. I am lucky though, it goes away in the morning and I never swell during the day. Seeing you are 35 weeks, and my sister is also who is swelling like a balloon, it's very common! Just make sure your dr knows!

Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

I called the doctor this afternoon, I guess just for reassurance, and he told me to come in tomorrow morning, so, now I feel kind of silly because it really isn't that bad, but, I guess it's good to get things checked out.
I guess I just got a little freaked out because a good friend just got induced at 36 weeks because of pre-eclampsia and her baby being in distress. She had been swelling but she said she had no idea it was so bad. I just can't wait for my baby to get here so I can look at him and see that he's okay all the time!
Thanks everyone!

Old 01-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

MJCota,
I also experience the same thing as you. I find when I bal my fists up at night when I sleep they get slightly swollen, but I never notice or seem to have any problems during the day.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Well, went to the doctor yesterday and he said I've gained about 5 pounds of water in the last week. I know it might not sound like a whole lot, but considering I've only gained about 14 pounds so far at 35 weeks, it feels like a lot LOL. BP and protien are ok, I figure my body is probably just gearing up to breastfeed or something.
Thanks
Amanda

Closed Thread