It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

calgarygirl HB User
Ultrasound and sex of the baby...

My sil will be going in for her scheduled 18 week ultrasound (she will be 19 weeks though) and she is wondering if they will determine or tell her the sex of the baby? How many of you were told the sex of your baby at a dr's ultrasound? I know when I went in at 18 weeks they would not tell me and I had to pay for a private ultrasound at 22 weeks to determine the sex.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User
Re: Ultrasound and sex of the baby...

It was our choice to find out the sex of the baby. We actually had 3 choices of hospitals to go to for the military. I just stayed here at the hospital that is on our base, and they told us. I know it is some drs policies not to tell or the parents have to ask the dr to tell them the sex of the baby. I think it's truly a drs choice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

my dr does my u/s and i found out with the first at 14.5 weeks and this time at 15.5 weeks, as long as he can see it he'll tell me if i want to know.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

I found out at 16 weeks, and confirmed (doc said he was 99.9% sure it's a girl!) at 21 weeks.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

I went at 18 weeks and the doctor could tell but we decided not to find out and let it be a surprise. They asked me if I wanted to know. I don't think I have ever heard of the dr not telling you. That's just mean!

Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I know some places aren't allowed to tell due to lawsuits from people whose Dr told them the wrong sex. I personally think that is rediculous, but if your Dr doesn't volunteer the information, I would d*****itely ask.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Hey Calgary!
I know that some hospitals in Canada (the one where I will deliver) will not tell you....mostly due to lawsuits if they are wrong so I've heard but I think it has more to do with just disappointing the parents if they are wrong.
I went to a private clinic (still covered by my provincial health insurance OHIP) and they had no problem telling us but did state that they could only do it if the baby cooperated and would tell us how sure they were.
I had mine at 19.5 weeks and she said initially she was 80% sure it was a boy and then when dh came in and we all took a look she showed us the baby's genitals and it was very obviously a boy.
Good luck to your sil.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

Hi Calgary - I'm in Edmonton, and some clinics here will not tell you the sex, some will. Apparently (and my Dr. confirmed this) in areas with a high ethnic population there is a concern that some people may choose to terminate the pregnancy if the sex is not what they want. I just scheduled my 20 week u/s and confirmed while booking that the clinic I am going to will tell me the sex (if baby co-operates).

Old 01-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

they only just started telling you the sex of the baby in the uk in the last few years for the same reasons as peaches stated from canada. i found out at 19 weeks 4 days

Old 01-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Thank you for all your replies and best of luck to all of you!! I think I want to know the sex more then my sil, ha ha. At my ultrasound she told me she wasn't sure of the sex and rather not say. I'm sure it must have to do with lawsuits. In Calgary we have to pay for private ultrasounds and I wanted to know and found out I was having a boy. Five weeks later I was hospitalized for pre-term bleeding and they did an ultrasound to try to determine why I was bleeding and the technician told me she could tell me the sex if I wanted to know but I already had paid $110 to find out. I know alot of people here who have gone in for their routine ultrasound between 18-20 weeks and they were not able to find out the sex and I was curious why.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
(female)

Angellica HB User

This is my second pregnancy and we are going to wait until 23-25 weeks to
go in for an ultrasound. Our first we went in at 18 weeks and they told us they were not going to tell us at least until the baby was 21 weeks. I was furious at the time, but I should have waited.

The technitian said that she couldn't tell if it was a girl or boy, and at 18 weeks it looked more like a girl. We went to have a private ultrasound done, and we found out we were diffenetly having a boy. So, my storyline is wait until the genitals have a chance to develop. We are going to wait this time. The clinic that we had our first ultrasound with said that they were wrong with 4 outcomes this year on the sex, so they were really reluctant in telling us.

Good Luck,
Angellica~*

Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
(female)

Angela3 HB User

Im fromOkotoks!!! Not far from you!! I chose not to find out because of the surprise factor.

Anthony 11
Anna 5
Isabella almost 9 months

Old 02-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Boy you are close to me, I'm in Cranston!! My sil had her ultrasound and they couldn't tell her the sex of the baby or maybe she just wants it to be a surprise.

Old 02-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

I think it depends.. I went to a pernatologist and he told me at 14 weeks I was having a girl. He told me he could tell because of the U shaped pelvic bone. he didn't even have to bother looking at the gentials.

It's possible a regular tech doesn't eithe rhave enough experinece or maybe the eqiupment isn't as new. there are many possibilties why they may not be able to tell early on.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

I have a friend in Canada and she said that no Canadian hospital will tell what the U/S results are regarding the baby's sex - never. Your SIL may not have chosen to be a surprise package.

Cheers! Barbara

Closed Thread