It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Is this heartburn indigestion?

I have never experienced it so I am not sure but I think it is. I feel as if my throat burns and it is worse when I lay down. like food is going to come back up or something. very uncomfortable. I feel as if i can't eat a big meal now and if I do I suffer for it! I am 28 weeks
thanks ladies
Carly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User
Re: Is this heartburn indigestion?

I started having the exact same thing happen to me lately too. i am also 28 weeks. Usually i will just have a glass of milk and let that settle for a while and it also helps not to lay flat, prop your head up on some pillows. I was told to not lay down for 2-3 hours after a meal. I would think that tums or rolaids would also help but i dont like taking anything and i dont really know because i've never had heartburn or indigestion before becoming pregnant. Maybe you could give those a try also. Hope you start feeling better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks steph, I will try some milk now!
You are do the same week as me!
Carly

Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Sounds like heartburn to me. Tums work wonders! I'd be a mess without them. Hope you get some relief!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Yep! Tums, Rolaids----work wonders!!! As is with everything---moderation is the key!

I hope is passes soon for you! I know the feeling---17 weeks now and have severe indegestion. Eeek!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I suffered with heart burn through the last part of my pregnancies, too. Not fun at all! I was ok'd by my doctor to take Tums or Maalox for it. Rolaids have other ingredents that weren't good for me if I remember right. I was up to a bottle every two weeks by week 39.
As your baby grows, it pushes up on your stomach and the little valve( spinster muscle?) that keeps the stomach contents in the stomach is pushed open, making the acid in your stomach enter your esophicous(sp?). You can help it if you don't want to take anything, by sleeping with your head raise a few inches when in bed. Or don't eat or drink anything after 7pm. This allows you stomach contents to stay in your stomach.
I also now have acid reflex disease because the valve was stretched too much and now stays open all the time. Will have to have surgery when I no longer can stand it.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi worry
didn't you just know i would be going through the same thing lol. i feel like hot acid in the back of my throat so have been taking gaviscon and sitting up in bed at night. yes it is heartburn it is gross. take care

Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I just got done complaining to my midwife about this in my last appointment. Now that I'm 31 weeks she FINALLY told me I could take Pepcid AC which is a life saver. No matter what I did (not laying down after a meal, proping my head) nothing would stop it from coming. My suggestion is to get pepcid and take it 30 mins before dinner and it will be with you ALL night. Tums are also good too. They are like candy to me now lol.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I took tums last night because it got so bad!!!!!!!!!!! It helped, Wow I really do hate heartburn,acid! Horrible, I almost just gaged myself to get it out of my throat!! thanks so much ladies!
Carly

Old 01-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
(female)

AngelaSue HB User

Worrywort ~ I had the indigestion that your describing my last pregnancy and am starting to develop it again with this one (I'm 17 weeks) and TUMS w/calcium worked great for me. Perhaps try raising the head of your bed up 6 inches (if your husband/significant other can tolerate it) That will help the acid from coming up your throat. You sound like you have acid reflux disease. I hope you find some relief soon, I know that can be so uncomfortable. Good Luck!!

Angie

Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

It goes away after right?

Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
(female)

AngelaSue HB User

Yes ~ it did for me. It was such a relief.

Closed Thread