It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User
How can docs be so wrong?

I just found out today that my due date is almost a month off. I'm due the begining of March now instead of April. How can the docs be so wrong? My OB(midwife) said that my son is a lot bigger than kids normally when a woman is just a little over 7 months preggo but she told me that I'm more like 8months preggo. It's now like panic mode to get everything done.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User
Re: How can docs be so wrong?

Were your periods regular when you got pregnant?

If not, that could be how they could be wrong.

I was at Fort Bragg for my 3 youngests' births and they changed my due date on one of my boys all the time.

On the other hand - if your periods were like clock work - it could be that the baby is growing really fast...and you're NOT due earlier. Have you had your gestational diabetes test? Does diabetes run in your family? I might ask to have it rechecked - cause that can cause a high birth weight baby...which could cause a big weight gain for the baby- which would cause the mid wife to believe your due date is wrong....

Regardless - I think if they moved your due date up a month...I might want them to do a definitive test to make sure your baby's lungs are mature before you deliver if they induce you......

(which a military facility WILL NOT let you go past "42" weeks...) and you might technically not even be that if the baby grew for a different reason (like a regular growth spurt)....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

Yes they were regualr as could be. I could go by clockwork on them. I got tested and my diabetes test came back normal. That is really not what my OB is worried about, she was mainly worried bout my protein in my urine. So I guess it will be interesting to see. They have moved my due date so many times that anymore it just doesn't surprise me. Both my dh and I knew that it was wrong, but I can honestly say that I didnt' realize it would be this badly off. My OB had told me from the begining that he was going to be a big baby that by the time I was due he would be between an 8 and 9 lb baby. So I guess they really could be off because she said that he is a lot bigger that he is growing with me being just bout 8 months preggo now. Thanx for the advice.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

I dont really understand how doctors can be wrong on due dates, especially when they go by the date of your last period. With my 2nd daughter...they changed my due date 3 different times.....Jan 25th to Jan 24th, to Jan 21st....not big changes...but nevertheless, it was a change........my daughter was actually born January 28th!! They also kept telling me that she would be very close to being 10 pounds, if not over......she was 8 pounds 11.5 ounces!!! (and being born a week later than they projected the last due date that they gave me!!!) I know that the baby can come anytime 2 weeks before or after the estimated due date...but to keep changing it due to the babys size and weight...is just not right, because not every baby grows at the same rate, or will be the same size at a certain point in every pregnancy. All I can tell you is.....whenever you think its close to your due date.....be very well prepared to go to the hospital! Doctors dont always know everything. A friend of mine was pregnant and a smoker....he decided to induce labor a month early..."out of concern for the baby JUST because she was a smoker"....nothing was wrong, nothing to indicate the baby was in distress or anything.....it was just the simple fact that she was a smoker...the baby was born a healthy 6 pounds....so had she gone the full 9 months...she would have had at least a 7 pound baby. I dont know why some doctors act like they dont know how to be a doctor. When my doctors had me guessing as to which date would be right...knowing the 2 week before and after deal.....I was prepared at the beginning of January for anything to happen. So thats all that I can tell you. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

Thank you very much for that advice. I know it seems so many doctors now just dont know what they are doing almost. But it was weird because when they had told me that I had gotten pregnant, I really didn't think they were right. I have a gut feeling that they were off. I thought maybe by 2 wks that they were off but not by almost a month. I was like holy crap when I talked to my doctor today. But it seems that we have knowin since we have seen ultrasounds. I am going off what I know best and that was my last period (NOT the break through bleeding) and that makes me due around March 8th. Both my dh and I have had a feeling that he is going to come early, so we shall see if that ends up true. I"m just tryin to swallow everything that he can be here in a couple months. To me it makes a lot of sence too because of all of the problems that I have been having lately. I just feel that I'm not going to be prepared because I dont have a crib, because of the fact that my father in law is making it and well he lives in another state so I'm just like OMG. Well I cant thank you enough...this has helped to put my mind at ease.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

I don't know how they can get it so wrong but they did with me too I was told my first son was due 21 december then the last few weeks they started bringing my date forward to the 15th dec then the 6th dec then the 1st but he was actually born on the 26 november lol and they said he was only 4 days early strange but I suppose a baby will only come when its ready.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

I'm kinda glad to know that it's not just my docs. It seemed they kept changing it by days like April 9, than April 10, than they said it was a couple days off but no big deal, and now almost a month I was like OMG. So now I get to talk to my OB and tell her that my husband should be home the end of March for r&r so I have to make sure that I have him and am able to bring him home so that he can spend the time with his son. I cant believe I only have like 8 wks left.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
(female)

marie81 HB User

Did you have an early u/s? My ob does one between 10-12wks, because she said it more accurately dates the pregnancy.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

My first u/s (very early at 5wk5days) dated me exactly when I knew I O'd (we'd been trying awhile and were charting). The second at 10wks moved me 2 days up to May 24. My 19 wk scan moved me to May 18. My midwife however has never changed my dates...she says the same thing the last poster did...early u/s is the most accurate. Of course I went 10 days over (even being induced at 7 over) with ds so maybe this time I might actually give birth sometime close to the date I was given at the start!!!! That and I think this baby might be huge too!!!!
Good luck everyone!!!

Closed Thread