It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

TeresaAnn21 HB User
Kicking the habit of smoking how did you do it if you were a smoker?

It was not hard for me to decide to quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant but it was hard to kick it. I think it took over a month for me to put them down completly and leave them. Anyone eles here a smoker and had to kick the habit how did you do it?

My method was replacing ciggs for chewing gum and candy it worked but it was so hard.

Plus I saw frist hand what ciggs can do to a baby my aunts baby boy was born 2 weeks early and he only weight about 3lbs he had asthma and was in the hospital ALOT.

My 2 cousins had babies born and they NEVER quit smoking and both babys where born healthy and normal but I couldnt bare to take the chance even though my cousins where telling me it would be ok. BECAUSE ITS NOT OK!

Its like giving your baby a cigg and letting them smoke it....

Last edited by TeresaAnn21; 01-17-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User
Re: Kicking the habit of smoking how did you do it if you were a smoker?

I unfortunately smoked through both of my pregnancies. I was told by my doctor that trying to quit cold turkey was too stressful and to cut way back, which I did. I quit 3 months after my second son was born and have never smoked again. That is now 12 years ago! I was successful using the nicotine patches. It is really a very hard thing to quit, but I had the mind set and just did it. I think they worked for me because it allowed me to find something else to do than smoke.
I wish you luck in beating this awful habit!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

waiting4baby05 HB User

I went as long as I could without a cigarette while pregnant. At times I would go more then a few weeks without one. I was a pack a day smoker pre-pregnancy. And then sometimes I would be really stressed and crying for hours non-stop and would slip up and have a few smokes. In the begining of my pregnancy I just cut down slowly and comepletly quit besides the slip ups by about 16 weeks along. That way I did not go cold turkey. I was lucky that my son was completly healthy. Not all babies are so lucky. But I also did not smoke a lot or continuously thoughout my pregnancy. I started smoking right up again recentlly and my son is not even a month old yet. However I only smoke maybe 4 or so cigarettes a day. I also wash my hands and face and rinse my mouth out and wear a specific jacket when smoking.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

I kinda ended up being lucky, I was just able to quit cold turkey. This was like the 3rd time that I was able to put them down. I didnt know that I was preggo though and I had smoked about a pack, and I was worried when I found out that I was preggo, but they told me that everything was okay with the baby. So I was happy about that, but I know I'm going to end up picking up the habit again after I have my son, just because I'm going to be stressed being a single parent for awhile with my husband being gone. But I guess I am one of the lucky ones that can quit cold turkey. I am around it a lot with my friends, and my husband while he was here.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran

sickofit HB User

I used the patch for a few days and then forgot to put it on one day and made it through the whole day without smoking.. so I decided to try cold turkey and it worked! Yay! It's been 4 months and I've been tempted to cheat, but I haven't - and I'm so surprised and proud of myself for it!!! BUT, I really think I probably will end up smoking again after... sometimes I just fantasize about having a cigarette!!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I was up to almost 2 packs a day, and was able to quit cold turkey. The second I found out I was pregnant I threw away my lighters and the rest of the carton of cigs. It was hard, I got sick, I was moody, but I was able to do it thinking about my little one growing inside me.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i just quit cold turkey in fact i don't really think about it unless someone asks. i don't plan on smoking again after it would be a shame if i went back after all these months besides i don't want me or baby smelling like an ash tray. after i am sure iw ill have to keep up the will power to be a good role model to my child. dh on the other hand has cut down but has the occassional cig, he knows no more after d day he also says he would feel an awful dad if he could not quit for his son.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

marie81 HB User

I smoked a pack a day and as soon as I found out, I just quit. I had tried so many times before becoming pregnant and wasn't able to. I guess this time I just had a good reason. It really wasn't as hard for me as I thought it was gonna be. The first 2-3 days kinda sucked, but after that I only had occasional cravings.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
(female)

Laetitia HB User

I smoked about a half a pack a day before I got pregnant. The day I found out, hubby and I finished the pack we had (3 each), and I haven't looked back since. I have had one puff since then.

Closed Thread