It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

pregnant34 HB User
To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

Hi everyone!

Are there any of you who are pregnant now and have had a child before by C-Section? My first was (an emergency C-Section) , and my doctor is leaving the choice up to me on whether or not I want to repeat. I don't really want to, but with all of the information out there, it almost seems safer to do a C-Section again then to try for a V-BAC Anyone else contemplating this issue?

Thanks mama's!

Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
(female)

TeresaAnn21 HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

this is my frist pregnacy and my Dr. believes my baby is going to be about 8 to 9lbs at birth and we have talked about a c-section. I am scared of the thought of having a c-section but what has to be done has to be done I guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

Kennidy's MaMa HB User

I had a C-Section with my Daughter ( was not able to have her..my hips did not spread) and I am due again in June and I will be having another C-section. It is ( From what I was told ) much safer. I was told that if you try to have a vaginal birth after a c-section, you can risk rupchureing ( Not sure how to spell ) . If that happens mama and baby can die. I am not trying to scare you at all. Just wanted you to be aware of this.

So, I personally would go with the repeated C-Section. It is not worth the risks. Good Luck to you.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User

I too had an emergency c-section with my first. Right now my husband and I are trying for our second. I am thinking about what I should do too. My Dr told me when I had my dd, that it would be up to me. When I get Pregnant I am goin to talk to my Dr about it. You know the pros and cons. I would like to try for a vaginal delvery, but I just don't know.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #5

Tweetymommy HB User

I had a c-section with my first child and became imediately pregnant again. However, I was told that its perfectly safe to try a v-bac after one only they monitor you more closely and keep an iv in you just incase. I went through 23 hours hard labor with my second daughter until it was decided to do another c-section (too big). There were no additional problems brought on by the attempt. The old way of doing c-sections with the vertical incision was much more dangerous than that of the bikini incision. So its up to you. I am pregnant with my third now and its mandatory now to c-section and thats ok with me. I wont miss the labor pains.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

Ihave to have a vertical c-sec... long story. I am kind of scared. Sometimes you have no choice.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

I am going to try for a VBAC assuming everything is going well with the pregnancy towards the end. The risk of rupturing is not actually that high and I have found that doctors/hospitals that are not particularly supportive of VBACs are the ones that perpetuate this fear. I do recommend that if you are going for a VBAC that you go in with realistic expectations and allow yourself to switch to a C-section if things aren't going well and you or the doctor start to feel anxious.

If everything with you and the baby is healthy and it is really a choice for you then I feel that a smooth, vaginal birth would be ideal over another surgery. You recover much quicker and your body goes into natural post-partum mode much better. Plus, typically babies will nurse better and you can start to bond with them, hold them, nurse immediately after they come out as opposed to a c-section where they are just shown to you and whisked away to have their stats checked out and for you to get sewn up...

It is very scary, though. I am totally anxious. It's a tough decision to make. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Just because the baby will be 8 or 9lbs does not mean you have to have a c-section. I can't believe a doctor would discuss a section when there is no reason to.

It is not dangerous to try for a VBAC. Depending on what happened to cause the first section, it is completely up to you and your doctor. My baby was breech, therefore I can try for a normal birth given the circumstances. For the person that mentioned their hips didn't spread, this is a reason to have another section. Chances are, her hips won't spread this time either. If the reason had to do with your own body and not breech presentation probably best to have a section. It also depends on the incision. If it was a vertical then my understanding is its not safe to have a vaginal. This is one of the reasons most doctors do horizontal at the bikini line nowadays.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

My Dr told me that if you have a VBAC, there is a 2% chance something could go wrong (i.e. uterine scar from last c-section ruputuring). Which means there is a 98% chance that everything will be just fine. I am going to have another c-section, though. B/C my Dr also told me that even though the chances are so low, she HAS seen it happen, and something happening to Baby or Mommy. Also, I have some ENDO on the outer part of my uterine scar, and would like to try to have it removed at the same time. So that all works out just fine for me.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
(female)

Donte HB User

I had a c-section with the first and two v-bacs after that. Vaginal birth is most definitely easier. Painful, but once it's over, it's over. Now, 14 years after my last birth, I am having another one and this one will be c-section. It was my choice because I am older and not real sure I want to go through all of that labor. Another deciding factor is that I want to tie my tubes and the doc can do it right then while doing the c-section. So, it would save me a second trip, I guess.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. Either way, you will heal and will have a beautiful baby to enjoy!

Old 01-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

Hotmamma13---what is ENDO? I must know. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
(female)

pregnant34 HB User

Hi all,

First, to Walnutsmom - I believe when Hotmama13 said ENDO, she was referring to Endometriosis.

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses - It helps having all the input possible.... Although I have not made my official Pro/Con list yet, I do feel at this time that repeating the C-Section might be best for my specific situation.....but, add on the pregnancy hormones and more input, and I'm bound to change my mind a couple dozen times more before committing

Hope you all are feeling good!

Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I just had a repeat c-section and it was great. It was actually better than the first c-section. I would do it again and again if I had to. They worst part about a section is that you can't return to normal activities. I am 3 weeks PP today and I feel like a bum because I can't work out yet. If you deliver vaginally, the recover is SO much easier.

Closed Thread