It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8
pregnant34 HB User
To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

Hi everyone!

Are there any of you who are pregnant now and have had a child before by C-Section? My first was (an emergency C-Section) , and my doctor is leaving the choice up to me on whether or not I want to repeat. I don't really want to, but with all of the information out there, it almost seems safer to do a C-Section again then to try for a V-BAC Anyone else contemplating this issue?

Thanks mama's!

 
Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 29
TeresaAnn21 HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

this is my frist pregnacy and my Dr. believes my baby is going to be about 8 to 9lbs at birth and we have talked about a c-section. I am scared of the thought of having a c-section but what has to be done has to be done I guess.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 24
Kennidy's MaMa HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

I had a C-Section with my Daughter ( was not able to have her..my hips did not spread) and I am due again in June and I will be having another C-section. It is ( From what I was told ) much safer. I was told that if you try to have a vaginal birth after a c-section, you can risk rupchureing ( Not sure how to spell ) . If that happens mama and baby can die. I am not trying to scare you at all. Just wanted you to be aware of this.

So, I personally would go with the repeated C-Section. It is not worth the risks. Good Luck to you.

 
Old 01-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 557
gel2005 HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

I too had an emergency c-section with my first. Right now my husband and I are trying for our second. I am thinking about what I should do too. My Dr told me when I had my dd, that it would be up to me. When I get Pregnant I am goin to talk to my Dr about it. You know the pros and cons. I would like to try for a vaginal delvery, but I just don't know.

 
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kentwood
Posts: 111
Tweetymommy HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

I had a c-section with my first child and became imediately pregnant again. However, I was told that its perfectly safe to try a v-bac after one only they monitor you more closely and keep an iv in you just incase. I went through 23 hours hard labor with my second daughter until it was decided to do another c-section (too big). There were no additional problems brought on by the attempt. The old way of doing c-sections with the vertical incision was much more dangerous than that of the bikini incision. So its up to you. I am pregnant with my third now and its mandatory now to c-section and thats ok with me. I wont miss the labor pains.
__________________
One Day Soon, I swear !!!!

 
Old 01-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 236
Valo99 HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

Ihave to have a vertical c-sec... long story. I am kind of scared. Sometimes you have no choice.

 
Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 104
walnutsmom HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

I am going to try for a VBAC assuming everything is going well with the pregnancy towards the end. The risk of rupturing is not actually that high and I have found that doctors/hospitals that are not particularly supportive of VBACs are the ones that perpetuate this fear. I do recommend that if you are going for a VBAC that you go in with realistic expectations and allow yourself to switch to a C-section if things aren't going well and you or the doctor start to feel anxious.

If everything with you and the baby is healthy and it is really a choice for you then I feel that a smooth, vaginal birth would be ideal over another surgery. You recover much quicker and your body goes into natural post-partum mode much better. Plus, typically babies will nurse better and you can start to bond with them, hold them, nurse immediately after they come out as opposed to a c-section where they are just shown to you and whisked away to have their stats checked out and for you to get sewn up...

It is very scary, though. I am totally anxious. It's a tough decision to make. Good luck!

 
Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 782
roxyfoxy HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

Just because the baby will be 8 or 9lbs does not mean you have to have a c-section. I can't believe a doctor would discuss a section when there is no reason to.

It is not dangerous to try for a VBAC. Depending on what happened to cause the first section, it is completely up to you and your doctor. My baby was breech, therefore I can try for a normal birth given the circumstances. For the person that mentioned their hips didn't spread, this is a reason to have another section. Chances are, her hips won't spread this time either. If the reason had to do with your own body and not breech presentation probably best to have a section. It also depends on the incision. If it was a vertical then my understanding is its not safe to have a vaginal. This is one of the reasons most doctors do horizontal at the bikini line nowadays.

 
Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 382
hotmamma13 HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

My Dr told me that if you have a VBAC, there is a 2% chance something could go wrong (i.e. uterine scar from last c-section ruputuring). Which means there is a 98% chance that everything will be just fine. I am going to have another c-section, though. B/C my Dr also told me that even though the chances are so low, she HAS seen it happen, and something happening to Baby or Mommy. Also, I have some ENDO on the outer part of my uterine scar, and would like to try to have it removed at the same time. So that all works out just fine for me.

 
Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 245
Donte HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

I had a c-section with the first and two v-bacs after that. Vaginal birth is most definitely easier. Painful, but once it's over, it's over. Now, 14 years after my last birth, I am having another one and this one will be c-section. It was my choice because I am older and not real sure I want to go through all of that labor. Another deciding factor is that I want to tie my tubes and the doc can do it right then while doing the c-section. So, it would save me a second trip, I guess.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. Either way, you will heal and will have a beautiful baby to enjoy!

 
Old 01-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 104
walnutsmom HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

Hotmamma13---what is ENDO? I must know. Thanks.

 
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 8
pregnant34 HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

Hi all,

First, to Walnutsmom - I believe when Hotmama13 said ENDO, she was referring to Endometriosis.

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses - It helps having all the input possible.... Although I have not made my official Pro/Con list yet, I do feel at this time that repeating the C-Section might be best for my specific situation.....but, add on the pregnancy hormones and more input, and I'm bound to change my mind a couple dozen times more before committing

Hope you all are feeling good!

 
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,060
Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: To repeat or not repeat a C-Section

I just had a repeat c-section and it was great. It was actually better than the first c-section. I would do it again and again if I had to. They worst part about a section is that you can't return to normal activities. I am 3 weeks PP today and I feel like a bum because I can't work out yet. If you deliver vaginally, the recover is SO much easier.
__________________
Noah Daniel 12.29.05

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Repeat Cone Biopsy j3nny08 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 3 11-21-2008 02:58 PM
Repeat Cryosurgery dezziedoo Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 2 04-05-2008 06:24 PM
Repeat Dexa scans suzieuk45 Osteoporosis 3 05-06-2007 07:14 AM
Repeat Microdiscectomy ? JediKnight Back Problems 5 12-31-2006 12:53 AM
HGISL followed by repeat pap...Malpractice? wendy674 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 8 12-16-2006 08:12 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Seraph (6), cattieos (2), mumovhann (2), kittenkaboodle (2), Xkwizit (2), TwinMamma (2), quinyonna07 (2), Kali333 (2), Mag311 (1), soo sad (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (904), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), midwest1 (668), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:56 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!