It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
(female)

Dalgi HB User
Air travel during pregnancy

Hello everyone!
I'm planning to travel half way across the globe next week. I'll be 28 weeks + 6 days when I leave and 32 weeks on the day that I return. It's a long haul flight but there is a bit of a break during the lay over. I'll be packing really light as it's a different season back home and I have NO summer maternity clothes! So, I'll be shopping the first day or two!

My mom's very concerned about me getting on a plain and one of my friends even said she would never risk it at 28 weeks. What are the risks, though? I've checked with the airlines and they let you fly internationally up to 35 weeks. I'll be seeing my doc early next week so he can declare me fit to travel...I have no serious medical problems...Not even high blood pressure. Besides the usual muscle aches and joint pains I have nothing to complain about.

Any reason I should stay? Any one else done this?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, E

Old 01-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User
Re: Air travel during pregnancy

I don't know what the risks are exactly but in the uk its recomended that you don't fly past 28 weeks majority of airlines won't fly you if your past 30 weeks I've noticed, we had to look into this befoe I got pregnant cause we have a family holiday booked in may but I will be 28 weeks ish when we return so I'm hoping they don't start bringing my date forward lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User

You should be fine, but talk to your Dr. My dr told me that it is better to fly then drive while your are pregnant and that I could travel up until I was 34 weeks pregnant. Alot of the thing that you hear about it are old wives tells. Just make sure you take yoiur reords and stuff and talk to you dr first and see what he says.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
(female)

Dalgi HB User

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just being a bit paranoid. People are saying it's a bad idea, but I can't find any information on the net stating anything about it being dangerous. The only precautions listed are the usual things like drinking lots of water and walking every now and then. I'm definitely seeing my Dr before I get on the airplane, so I'm hoping he'll say it's OK.
The airlines I'm using allow pregnant women to travel up to 35 weeks internationally. So in that respect I'm OK.

Thanks again.
E

Old 01-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

Faythey HB User

My mom works for an airline and says the only reason airlines dont want you to travel after 34-38 weeks is that you could go into labor during the flight. That would cost them a lot of money because they would have to land midflight.

I haven't heard any real risks of flying during pregnancy.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
(female)

paresse HB User

It's ok to travel; just make sure to take MULTIPLE walking breaks throughout the trip since air travel is linked to blood clots in legs.
Also take into account the discomfort factor, especially at 34 weeks.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
(female)

Dalgi HB User

I thought it was a liability thing with the airlines not wanting pregnant women to fly at a late stage. It is understandable, though.

I wouldn't want to take that chance in the last couple of weeks anyhow.

I'm sure it will be 16 hours of hell...I can't even sleep comfortably in my own bed these days. As long as that is the only price I pay!

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

Instead of waiting to see your doctor, why not call the office and ask the nurse to ask the doctor what his/her opinion is about the very long flight at this stage of pregnancy. Remind the nurse that you're coming in to be seen next week, but you'd like to have a idea about planning.

Air pressure in a plane is different that on the ground and altitude can do weird things to your circulation. While pg, you have more circulating blood, so you could have swelling in your legs, a clot develop, or be utterly miserable. You'd have to walk often and that may be awkward because of your girth. You might not be allowed to walk at all and be confined to your seat because of turbulance. Would you fit into a seat? Your doctor may say no international travel because of those issues, not to mention early labor.

Would it be more fun to travel after the baby is born so you can show the baby off to your far-away family?

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

It is okay to fly. You said across the globe or internationally.......ouch, I don't miss those flights at all. Hopefully it isn't a 12 hour flight straight across the ocean?! Make sure you stand up once in a while to get your blood pumping and take a comfy pillow for your back.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
(female)

Laetitia HB User

Also, ask about pre-boarding. I went on a cruise in October, and was able to pre-board our Southwest Airlines flight from Orlando.. I didn't know any better, or I would have pre-boarded on the way down to Orlando.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i know in the uk airlines won't carry you past 28 weeks and no one will insure you either, it is also important to think about how you would deal with things if you needed medical attention abroad what is their healthcare system like is it likely to be safe and hygienic? personally i would not do it but it is up to you. hope if you go everything is ok and you have a nice time

Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I have not heard of any risks either, but just curious, what airline is allowing you to fly? I was supposed to fly down to Florida last week for some family business but none of the airlines I contacted allow woman who are pregnant to fly past 28 weeks. I called every major airline that flies out of NY and no luck. Just curious how you got past that

Just wanted to add, I also had a note from Dr Ok'ing me for the flight.

Last edited by soon2bmommy; 01-18-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
(female)

Dalgi HB User

Hi everyone
Well, I don't know now...I've already paid for the ticket and I'm not sure that they'll refund it. It's not about the money though, I want to make an informed choice.
Soon2B, I'm planning to fly from Korea to South Africa, so I'm not using any American airlines. Cathay Pacific and SAA both allow pregnant women to fly up to 35 weeks as long as it's an uncomplicated pregnancy. You do need a certificate from your dr with all your info.

The flight is broken up into a 4 hour flight to Hong Kong and then a 12 hour flight to SA. It's long.

I don't know. I'll speak to the dr.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 02-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #14
(female)

Angellica HB User

I traveled at 34 weeks

Closed Thread