It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
(female)

Tear_Drop HB User
Growth Scan @28 Weeks - Worried!!

Hi all

I just need reassurance from anybody!!

I just had a growth scan @ 28 weeks to make sure my baby wasn't too little or anything, and they told me that she was 3 weeks ahead of her due date. ie she weighs 3lb now!!!! and is growing like she's 31 weeks!!

I am glad that she is bigger rather than smaller but oh my, I don;t know what to do.
I have another scan in 4 weeks followed by an appointment with a consultant, but I worried - what happens next?! If baby keeps going at this rate will I be induced? The sonographer said that she had a big head too - ARGH!!!

Has anyone else had a big baby? Please calm me!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: Growth Scan @28 Weeks - Worried!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear_Drop
Hi all

I just need reassurance from anybody!!

I just had a growth scan @ 28 weeks to make sure my baby wasn't too little or anything, and they told me that she was 3 weeks ahead of her due date. ie she weighs 3lb now!!!! and is growing like she's 31 weeks!!

I am glad that she is bigger rather than smaller but oh my, I don;t know what to do.
I have another scan in 4 weeks followed by an appointment with a consultant, but I worried - what happens next?! If baby keeps going at this rate will I be induced? The sonographer said that she had a big head too - ARGH!!!

Has anyone else had a big baby? Please calm me!!!
Please dont worry! Babies all tend to grow at different rates, you are still early enough in your pregnancy that it could all even out. Who knows, maybe next time you have your ultrasound the baby's weight may very well be right on with your gestation.

Is this your first baby? Has your doctor tested you for gestational diabetes?
Gestational diabetes is often the culprit for a large gestational age baby. I am sure that your doctor will watch you closely and there is absolutely nothing to be worried about. Should your baby be exceptionally large as you near your EDC there is the possibility that you could be induced. however, i wouldnt worry about any of that until/unless your OB tells you there is a reason to be worried!

Sounds to me like you have a very healthy baby in there!!!!!!
Congratulations to you!
Valley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

my baby was estimated to be just shy of 5lbs. at my 31.5 week scan. I do not have Gestational Diabetes and you need to keep in mind - its an estimation! they are USUALLY not dead on.... sometimes they can be - but that is lucky i say from what I have read. they take measurements of your baby and estimate its weight. so try not to worry be happy he/she is big and not being estimated too small!

Good luck - keep us posted!
XXOO Friday 34 weeks, 5 days now... almost there....

Old 01-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

It is very hard for them to accurately gauge how big the baby is inside. So keep that in mind. Many women on these boards were told they were having a giant, but the baby came out 7lbs.

But you may very well have a big baby. It will be OK. My kids were 11lbs 4 oz and 11lbs 12oz. My sons head was off the size charts (above 100% percentile) The docs knew they were going to be big, but actually guessed on the lower end. My biggest fear from the beginning (when they were the size of beans) was that I would have a large baby. I had no gestational diabetes. When babies are that big, they will usually not be able to come out the natural way. My son was too big to drop down and I had a c-section. With my 2nd I opted for the c-section. Your body is going to know what to do if your baby ends up being very big. Your doctor will know and take it all into consideration when observing you when you do go into labor.

Try to put your mind at ease, it really will work out OK. Plus having a big newborn is nice. They seem less fragile.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

calgarygirl HB User

Try not to worry too much. I had an ultrasound at 27 1/2 weeks because I had some pre-term bleeding and the weight of my baby at that time was 3lbs, 6oz's and he was born 4 days before his due date weighing 7lbs, 4oz's.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
(female)

Tear_Drop HB User

Thank you all SOOOO much.

I am deff not worrying as much!! and I guess it is better its a big baby rather than a small one!

Thanks again - and I wish you all luck!!

Old 01-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

again, i will reinterate what others have been saying...my dr said that my baby would be around 10 pounds, maybe bigger....she was 8 pounds 11.5 oz.......still a big baby...but nothing like he had me afraid of. so dont go by their estimate....remember, it is just an estimate!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
(female)

suziewong HB User

Hi just thought i would let you know that the doctors are not always right,i was told when i was having my son that he was a big baby and he was in breech position they said that if he didn't turn they would need to turn him.they also didn't expect he could turn because of his size,And that i may be to small to deliver,well how wrong they were on the very last week he was due he turned,head engaged and he was two weeks late needed to be induced and he wasn't big only weighed 6llb 2oz.He was my third child.labour lasted 1/2 hour.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I had another ultrasound at 29 weeks and my son was weighing in at 3lbs. After they got the results back from the tech, they said he's right on target and completely healthy! Don't worry about it, I'm sure everything will be fine

Closed Thread