It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Reason for crib bumpers?

I was wondering what the reason or purpose is for a crib bumper? I assume because they could roll over and bump themselves....? I am having such a difficult time finding bedding or pieces of bedding that are more modern rather than babyish and it is extremely aggravating. I found one bumper, but it is $80.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User
Re: Reason for crib bumpers?

You won't need bumpers until your baby can move around enough to get stuck in the bars of the crib.
My son kept waking himself up with his arms and legs stuck in the bars. It was actually kind of funny. But not when he had been sleeping 10+ hours for a month then all of the sudden wiggling overr to the sides and getting stuck. We (dh and I and his twin sister) didn't appreciate the wake up calls much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

in the uk they advise they are not used with babies under 12 months to reduce the risk of sids/cot death. but i have one ready for when the baby is old enough with a matching quilt.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Yes here in Canada they say the same thing and have done a lot of studies on them. I started using them with ds when he was able to roll over on his own for 2 reasons...he's wake himself up banging his head AND most importantly he could roll away from them if he pressed his face into them.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

I am in big favor of bumpers. I think the SIDS concerns are about overly puffy bumpers that don't fit tight. Most large companies such as Pottery Barn, Target and such follow strict guidelines and therefore make very safe ones. My son would roll over and hit his head on the sides of the crib so bumpers were very good for him AND made the crib super cute. The APA advises that you remove the bumpers by the time the child is climbing things as he/she may climb the bumper and then fall out of the crib. So, you don't have many months of use in the bumper but if you get a nice, MODERN, unisex pattern then you can use it with future babies Landofnod.com has beautiful bedding (though pricey).

Old 01-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #6
(female)

Faythey HB User

I've heard to not put anything in the clib because of a risk of suffocation. I think the bumpers were originally used because the bars of the crib were far enough apart that babies heads could get stuck. However, now the bars are supposed to be a lot closer together.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Orange,

If you are having a hard time finding a pattern you like, try going to a fabric store and pick a fabric and find someone local to make a bedding set. Anything in a store for the most part is going to be "babyish". I have considered this and have found several seamstresses that are will to make me a full set for about $250.00 plus the cost of fabric.

Amy

Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I have thought about having someone making the bumper, I just have to wait and find out once I move. For $250-$300 I can buy a bedding set that is not babyish but I thought that was somewhat pricey. Instead I was opting to forgo the ruffle and the comforter that they don't use. I found purple sheets that will work, but I believe I need to have a bumper, so I may pick out my own fabric of a solid color. I like the hot pinks, lime greens, purples, etc. Basically when you look for bedding for a little girl or a teenager, they have more fun colors and modern styles, that is what I am going for. I figure my girl won't want a lamb lamp in a year or two max anyways and it isn't my style either. I really thought there would be more variety but there isn't. The bedding is sooooooo expensive! Thanks for your advice SoBannon.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I have to say this....my sister died of SIDS when she was 6 wks old and I was 7. I am extremely paranoid about SIDS and will take every precautionary measure to prevent it. Hence the Anglecare monitor in my son's room! Orange, you say your daughter won't want a lamb lamp in a year or two, well, she won't want or need bumper pads then either. Why spend so much on them for such a short period of time? I didn't put the bumper pads in until my son was confidently rolling all over the place and hitting himself against the sides of the crib. Even then they only stayed in there for maybe 2 months and then I took them off. Such a pain to change the sheets with the bumpers in there! Also, it has taught him a lot sooner I think to stay in the middle of the mattress and not flip all over the place. He's only 18 and 1/2 months old and seems ready for a big boy bed already! The bumper pads I got were only $20 and as far as I'm concerned, too much money even at that price!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Thanks Baby #2,
The reason I began this post was to find out the real reason for bumpers and also if there is anyone who does not use them. It just seems the traditional thing to do, go out and buy the bedding sets and as far as I know, most of the bedding sets, besides the sheet isn't even used. That is too much money to blow of stuff like that. I would rather save the money and buy things that will grow with her more. I will probably not get the bumper right now, or maybe just buy a cheap one like you did for a few months if I need too when that time comes. I didn't know that you don't need them, I thought they were maybe there for a reason, or a real purpose.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Orange- I think it depends on your baby. I remember my brother used to get his arms stuck in the crib bars all the time until my mom put up a bumper. My sister on the other hand never needed one as she didn't move around all over the place in her crib. I know a close friend of mine had a problem still with arms and legs in the bars because her daughters bumper wasn't high enough. Her mother made one for her that was just a little higher and the problem was solved. I would just wait and see how your baby is when they get to that age where they are moving alot. That is what I plan to do as like I think you posted earlier, everything seems to be so babyish, I finally found some nice sheet sets and other things for the crib that were very contemporary, but no bumper pad. So I am just going to wait and see if my son needs one, then I'll fix that problem when the time comes. Hope this helped you out some

Old 01-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

A tip for anyone wanting bumpers later...providing you aren't too picky. I went to a thrift store and bought a set for 50cents. They didn't match my bedding but that isn't really an issue for me...I am more for thrift then co-ordination. I think I put them on when ds was 8 months or so and left them on till he moved out of the bed. He's a WILD man in bed (lol) and moved around all the time. I went back to work when he was about 10 months and got tired of getting up when he's bang his head everytime he rolled over....it was hard enough to be back to work and sleep deprived anyway.

Closed Thread