It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

Dalgi HB User
Traveling with an infant

Hello again and thanks to everyone who replied to my question about air travel during pregnancy.
I'm now considering postponing my trip till after baby is born. So, the question is at what age is it safe and not too uncomfortable to take an infant on a very long flight? Initially I thought I would at least have to wait a year. But a friend said the younger the better because they sleep all the time when they're tiny. But, a four hour flight, followed by a 12 hour flight? I could probably get the lay over stretched out...if that would be wise. But I just don't know what I'd do with a screaming baby in the middle of the night on an airplane! Keeping all the passengers up....

Any ideas?
Thanks everyone!
E

Old 01-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User
Re: Traveling with an infant

I'm interested in knowing what people have to say about this too. We're planning on taking a 10+ hour flight as soon as the doctor says it's okay.
For what it's worth, I've taken these overnight over the atlantic flights several times with screaming babies on board, and I've never been bothered by them--the airplane kind of muffles the noise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

Faythey HB User

I've heard to at least wait a month before taking a newborn on a plane, but i think thats referring mostly to domestic flights which wouldnt really be above 5 or 6 hours.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

sousou HB User

Hi All'

I did travel with both of my babies..but I did not get the tickets until they were born because I did not know what to expect..
first one was 3 weeks and we went all the way to north africa, 12 h to paris stayed there in airport for about 5 h than 2 more h to get to north africa..I did check with my doctor and he said that it is okay ( my baby 's weight was 10 pounds )
second one I traveled to same destination and he was 40 days old ( his weight was about 9 pounds )
the trips went great the doctor told me to make sure to give them a pacifier while the plane is going up and also lending for their ears
I did check with doctor before taking them ( of course)

Old 01-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

LovelyBabydoll HB User

I would also like to have information about this subject.Im planning on Taking a flight from oklahoma city to Nyc with my 4 month old...I just dont know if i should.What do you all think?

Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
(female)

Dalgi HB User

Sousou, that sounds amazing! Were both your babies asleep for the most part of the flight? And were you breastfeeding? Your story really gives me hope that I'd be able to do that too! Thanks!

Old 01-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
(female)

sousou HB User

Yes they were most of the time sleeping,I was breasfeeding only, I did take with me a baby bottle ,mineral water and few cubes of sugar just in case they will start crying somewhere where I can not breasfeed them ( with the first one I changed airport in Paris ) but still my baby was sleeping all the time
no problems at all.
with the second one my first baby was 2years and half, and that was the hard part, I was traveling by my self both times ( no husband with me) so the hard part was taking care of the toddler but still it was not that bad.
I made a mistake of taking care seat both times( the airline will ask for that) and I did not take a stroller....so the second trip I had a car seat in one hand , my toddler in the second one and the diaper bag on my shoulder..when I got to my parents house in north africa I had the impression that my arms were paralysed ( I guess it is a good idea to take a stroller )
any way check with the airlines , make sure that you sit in front where there is a bassinett and if you are traveling with your husband or other family member than you really do not have to worry at all.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

if you are going international they have bassinets they can give you and it will help
we took my 5 month old on a trip from Frankfurt, germany to San Fransisco to Honolulu (27 hours total travel time) - and i bottle fed him! whew

they hardest part was in the airport. i had bottles preped and ice bags my eniter carry on was a baby room in a box... but during our lay over i changes his clothes gave him a bird bath in the bathroom sink with a cloth and changed old bottles for clean ones.

my big tip is make sure the baby is sucking on a bottle or a pacifier during take off and landing to help with the ear pressure.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 AM   #9
(female)

Dalgi HB User

Great tips, thanks very much!

Closed Thread