It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

laydielov22 HB User
Question Any overweight pregnant women?

I was just wondering If there were any overweight pregnantwomen on the board besided myself dealing w/ the same problem that i am going through. I was overweight before i got pregnant and now that i am pregnant(5 months) i have gained alot of weight i am 5'11 and i was weighing 270 before i got pregnant now i weigh 290 the doc said that i was healthy and my blood pressure is normal and i have nothing to worry about! But i am concerned about how am going to loose all this weight after the baby? Any REAL GOOD ideas? I was fasting one time before i got pregnant and that worked i lost alot of weight but i gained it right back( i know it is unhealthy).

any thoughts?

Old 01-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User
Re: Any overweight pregnant women?

I was 246lbs when I got pregnant I am 37 weeks and I have gained 7 lbs but I have kept myself on a very strict low carb diet for gestational diabetes, I only gained the 7 lbs in the last month, so its working its tough especially when your hungry but its worth it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

I am overweight and was before I got pregnant. I actually gained weight before I got pregnant (couldn't figure out why since I was dieting) but I ended up losing 25 pounds the first trimester. I am currently 31 weeks and have only gained 5.5 pounds back. My midwife isn't worried about anything because I am a easy patient! Nothing been wrong the whole pregnancy. If your dr isn't worried I wouldn't worry about it! Remember when you give birth you can lose up to 20 or 30 (don't remember) pounds in the first six weeks. If you are breastfeeding that will also help. Good luck hunny and congrats!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

curly315 HB User

I was overweight when I got pregnant. I lost about 5-7 lbs the first trimester. Monday when I went to my OB appt I was told that I had gained a total of only 6lbs (that was losing a pound from the previous appt). I lost weight a few years ago (participating in the ********* program). I am not so sure of how much of the program really helped me lose weight or if it was the water I was drinking taking all of the pills - I was taking about 18 pills each day. I know alot of people that has lost weight just by making sure they drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. That helps keep the body cleaned out and your body learns that it does not have to store a bunch of extra fluids. The same with eating - eating several small meals during the day helps your body learn that it does not have to store so much for later use. I agree with the others that if your doctor does not seem concerned, I would not worry about it. At least not until after delivery.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
(female)

laydielov22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie_s
I was 246lbs when I got pregnant I am 37 weeks and I have gained 7 lbs but I have kept myself on a very strict low carb diet for gestational diabetes, I only gained the 7 lbs in the last month, so its working its tough especially when your hungry but its worth it
What type of things did you cut out of your diet? I was told by my doc that my baby was kinda big for me to be 5 months preg! I don't want to go through the whole gestional diabetes thing! do you think if you have gestional diabetes when you are preg it will continue after the pregnancy?

thanks

Old 01-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
(female)

TeresaAnn21 HB User

I was over weight when I got pregnant I was dieting when I found out I was pregnant I also have diabities and am on a strict diet for the diabities I was 281 when I found out I was pregnant and lost to 272 and I have only gained 6lbs but at my last visit I had lost 3lbs I had a good 7 months then these last months have been hard on me and I dont know if it is my weight or what but its gotten hard to cope with.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
(female)

pearoye68 HB User

I too was overweight before pregnancy. Had just gained around 20 lbs. before pregnancy. Newly wed and happy so hubby and I ate what we wanted. I started this pregnancy at around 230 lbs. and last month at doctor's appt. weighed 257, and go back next week and I am sure I have put on a few more lbs. this month. He told us not to worry. I am healthy and everything has been aok so far. Blood pressure is good, hardly no swelling yet. I go for gbt next Thursday. I will be 28wks then. I hope I don't gain over 10-15 more lbs. in these next 3 months though. I want to get this baby weight plus some off after ds gets here. Hoping to breast feed and that should help some. I want to walk but too tired now. Hoping weather will improve and I can start walking some after work in the evenings. Trying to drink more water too. I have to loose after this or I will never keep up with this baby. I am 37 too and that makes it harder. Anyway, that is my 2cents worth. Try not to worry too much unless it is affecting your's or the baby's health at this point. That is the way I see it.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I have a history of obesity, although I weighed 164 when I got pg. My advice is the same as some of the others. Drink your water. Give up foods with added sugar. I don't eat anything that has more than 5 gm of sugar per serving, unless it is natural sugar (fruit, honey). Also give up sweetened soft drinks like Coke/Pepsi. Increase your protein intake as this helps the body burn fat and retain/build muscle. My goal is to get back to 140 pounds which is the weight I was prior to fertility treatment. I do plan to breastfeed, so hopefully this will help.

Amy

Old 01-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydielov22
What type of things did you cut out of your diet? I was told by my doc that my baby was kinda big for me to be 5 months preg! I don't want to go through the whole gestional diabetes thing! do you think if you have gestional diabetes when you are preg it will continue after the pregnancy?

thanks
I have a nutritionist that has helped me I have very limited carbs, 25g for breakfast 45g for lunch and dinner also 15 g for snacks, I had it will all three of my pregnancies, this pregnancy diet worked awesome up until this week I was put on insulin but its only for two weeks so its cool, they say you are high risk for getting it late in life with in 5-10 yrs from the birth of your last child, I am going to continue this diet after the baby and lose the weight, the dr says if Ilose the weight I woudnt be in a dibetic state, he thinks I was borderline prior to pregnancy

Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I too am an overweight mom to be...actually according to my bmi I am obese and over 100 pounds overweight but they don't seem to account for muscle weighing more than fat....I've lifted weights and worked out for years and although weighed over 220 when I got pregnant, I look smaller than many people who are 180 and I wear about a size 18.
ANYWAY....I have gained about 12 pounds so far and my midwife is pleased with that.
With ds I was still heavier before getting pg than I am now but I lost about 8 pounds at the start, gained nothing for 14 weeks, put on 3 pounds and got sick and lost 9. So by 24 weeks or so I was back at pre-prego weight and from there gained another 32.5 (so total gain of about 37.5 from where I sat for most of the first half of my pregnancy). My doctor was never concerned then either.
My midwife did mention this week that she would be having me do a glucose test...she doesn't always do them unless the mom is heavier as we are more susceptible. She told me that it has been proven that even by knowing and treating you for gestational diabletes it may not prevent the outcome...a bigger baby. Does however, keep them from letting you go too far overdue, if at all.
I am working out every week day still....I'm 22 weeks. With ds I stopped at 16 weeks or so. I feel healthier in a way this time as I don't crave the sugars (and give in) like I did with him. I drink tons of fluids and avoid things like excessive pop (unless I am out somewhere I'd never have more than 1 every 3-4 days), starchy desserts...usually and fruit juices/sweet drinks.
I read somewhere that you should never drink your calories...save them for the fun foods!!!! Drink lots of water, it's all your body needs for fluids.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

laydielov22 HB User

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and comments b/c i know PERSONALLY that taking off the weight is hard b/c of the temptations out there . I really do believe that I will loose the weight after I have the baby but for now all i can do is eat healthy and do minimal exercise b/c i tire more easily due to the pregnancy. It feels good that I see that I am not the only one going through this problem and that there are alot of supportive women w/ ideas and encourgement to see each other through this!

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Unhappy Re: Any overweight pregnant women?

I just found out I'm pregnant a few weeks ago. I'm only 6 weeks along but I'm very concerned. I way 230lbs, and I'm 5'9. I know I'm bound to gain, and lately I haven't been eating the greatest things..so I know I have to start eating better! You aren't alone.

I do think the low carb way of living is a good route to try.....it is nice because I think you can have carbs, they are just good carbs with high dietary fibers....I may be wrong....but I don't think so

Last edited by here4support; 01-20-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread