It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Question RH Negative, anyone else?

I am RH negative I was told today by my midwife. I need to go in today or tomorrow to have some lab work done and then go up to the clinic and get the (ro-gam) sp? injection. I have been reading up on this subject now, is there anyone else who is RH- and had to get this injection? Does it hurt and where do they inject you at? I am really curious, thanks!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User
Re: RH Negative, anyone else?

Hi, I am 30 weeks pregnant and just got my shot last week in my right upper arm it didnt really hurt just a pinch like a regular shot and it left a tiny eraser size bruise but nothing major, but then again I take two injections of insulin a day so needles dont really bother me anymore.. I questioned my doctor about it he said that I might need another shot after the baby is born depending on her blood type so we will see.... Years ago when my mom was pregnant you never got the shots while you were still pregnant they waited until after you had the baby and gave them in your big toe so Im glad there giving them in the arm now..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chysmom HB User

Sorry I was lucky Dh and I are both negative so I didnt need it. My mom had it through and told me they put it either in your arm or lower back/upper butt. She said it burned at first but it wasnt a painful burning.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

LadyLaine HB User

I am Rh- and I am pregnant with my second. My husband is positive so I had to have the rhogam shot at 28 weeks. They gave it to me in my lower back and it hurts way less then having you're blood taken and you know what that's like,so it is no big deal. After my daughter was born they tested her blood and she was positive so I had to have another shot of rhogam. If you're baby is negative then their is no problem.
With this pregnancy I was tested early to see if I had any antibodies in my blood from my positive daughter, because that can effect this second baby negatively if I did. I had no antibodies, but i still have to get another shot at my next appointment. You will have no problems being rh- as long as you have you're shots. Hope that answered some questions.

Lainie
EDD 5/9/06
DD 1/19/03

Old 01-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Re: RH Negative, anyone else?

I found out a lot of information about this subject today. I didn't know anything about RH negative and positive and that I was tested. My midwife called me out of the blue today saying she forgot to go over it with me two days ago when I was there and that I needed the rhogam injection. Before going in I researched the topic more and learned quite a bit. I also read that you get the injection in the rear and that is where I got it. That freaked me out somewhat because I got a "peanut butter" shot in the rear and unless you have gotten that shot you have no clue how painful it is, especially when it is jabbed into you at boot camp. We were so sore for a few days and I jumped when I got it and most people come out crying, males included. When I heard it was going to be in the rear that is all I could think about!!!! I did jump, but it wasn't bad, it only felt weird for 3 seconds as the medicine went in.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

sal946 HB User

Well I was rh negative, and yes I had the shot, and maybe I am out of place here as my son is 22 years old, but nothing much has changed. They injected me in the butt.

sal

Old 01-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
(female)

edogoneill HB User

Hi Orange,

I am RH- also and have to get my ro-gam shot at my next appt, although, I had to have one right after my miscariage in april. It was no big deal just a fast shot in my upper arm. I thought you only had to get the shot every other pg, however, my doctor told me that one is needed for every pg.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Re: RH Negative, anyone else?

Your suppose to get the injections during your 28th week of pregnancy, withing 72 hours of delivery if your baby is RH+ and after every miscarriage, amniocentisis, and abortion. Those are all the times when it the babies blood and your blood could or does come in contact with each other and in order to prevent yourself from being sensitized and have complications of rejection and transfusions in future pregnancies, you have to get the shot! I didn't know anything about this subject 24 hours ago....I got my injection in the rear though,

Closed Thread