It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
(female)

babysmile HB User
pregnancy with sperm donor anyone???

hi all i was just wondering if any of you are pregnant with a sperm donor????this a route i have to go down one day i just wanted to hear from people who are actually pregnant using this method. i was wondering how your partner feels with the pregnancy and have any of youtold your family members that it is adonor if so what did they say? i am happy to try a donor my partner want to think about it a little more im just worried about him, i feel for him so much, i have a son from prev marrige and my husband is fantastic and he brought him up as his own im just scared that it wot feel as special to him, also what is the law like when it comes to anninomity??do we have tell the child? im so confused. i think i need more time to come to terms with it.whats usetng is that beause of my husbands sperm count ivf with icsi is our only option.we cant affort this but we can afford a donor,isnt that awful. i want to start our famiky now wHILE we saVE FOR ICSI. HOW DOES A DONOR WORK DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE IUI???? AND CAN THEY MATCH DONOR CLOSE TO YOUR HUSBAND LOOKS? PLEASEHELP ME ANYONE. THANKS. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: pregnancy with sperm donor anyone???

hi
sorry i can't answer your questions but i know i have ssen some ladies on the ttc board who would now be on the pg board who got bfp's from donors. wishing you all the best and that someone on here will be able to help (i am sure they will)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Yes...My husband and I conceived using donor sperm. We were in the same situation. DH has a good count, poor morphology/motility for unknown reasons with a good count. We did 7 IUI's total, the last 2 w/ a donor. The last IUI worked. We just could not afford IVF w/ ICSI as a "chance". DH is fine with it most of the time. He has had a couple of breakdowns about it, not regarding the baby so much, but just because he feels like less of a man because of it. He says he wishes we could have conceived together. I do too. I tell him that we did conceive together, we went through the process together, cried together during our BFN's, and went through all of the emotions. We just used someone else's little fishies...lol. We went through a few cryobanks and narrowed down the list together....make sure he is involved. They tell you just about all of the basic information you could want to know. Physical characteristics, emotional characteristics, likes, dislikes, blood type, hobbies, etc. You choose the donor.

Now, as far as telling people......

NO JUDGEMENT PLEASE.

We have no plan to tell anyone, including the baby. This is our child. We do have an extensive physical history regarding the donor. This is our personal choice. I don't think I want to go any further in detail into that, as I know this could turn into a very ugly discussion.

I hope this helps you....for us, it was a feasible option and we could never thank the donor enough for what he has helped us achieve.

Amy

Old 01-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

My hubby and I had to use a donor to conceive. My clinic made us use IUI to get pregnant which is very easy and inexpensive. Each time its cost about 250 for the procedure. You just have to use the ovulation tests to make sure you are ovulating and then you go in and it takes about 20 minutes or so. Honestly for us the hard part was picking a donor. You can have the company compare pics with your husband to find a close match but we did not do that. My first daughter(from my first marriage) looked exactly like me and we had found one that we liked from his profile(we always looked at pics last) and he ended up looking like my brother when he was a little boy. So we figured in the end our little guy would probably just take after me again. Basically for us it came down to personality and the answers to questions on his profile. Our second time we got pregnant through the procedure and boy was my hubby happy. I think I have more issues that its a donor than he does. I would consider seeing a therapist just to get things talked over about will you tell people and will you tell the child when he is older. How does he truly feel about using a donor, does it make him feel like less of a man because he cant do it himself, my hubby had a few of those issues but now he is fine with it. He knows the only way we can have a baby that is biologically his is through IVF and we cant afford it right now. We may try in the future and we may not, who knows.
He seems to be doing really well with it, he is just happy to be having a baby and he knows whether or not the DNA is his that its his child to nurture and take care of. I have only told a very close family member and my father. Just because I needed to talk about it other than with my hubby and that helped, but if you do just make sure if your not going to tell anyone else they will keep it to themselves. Honestly we have not decided on whether or not we will tell him when he is older, I guess time will tell. Its a personal decision for the couple involved.Right now we are in the mindset that we will not tell him. Can I ask what is your husbands infertility problem keeping him from getting you pregnant?
Meg

Last edited by rounsy222; 01-20-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Amy,
Did you get more of a history than what was just on his profile?
Meg

Old 01-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Yes,

We purchased an extensive profile for him, just to have stowed away as a just in case. We based our choice on the initial information, but after the BFP, we purchased the whole package on the donor to have just in case there was something we needed to know in the future.

Amy

Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Oh thats good to know, did you ever buy more viles just incase you want to use him again.
Oh how are you doing, I lost our old tread!

Old 01-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

No, no other vials.....we only plan to do this once. We are hoping that we can do IVF later, when we have the money saved.

I am doing great....big as a house. Baby is moving so much, he is starting to interact with me alot. Spending alot of time pushing his little feet into my ribs. I had my glucose tolerance test Wed, and I was sicker than a dog, but I passed it. Otherwise, I am just rapidly expanding, but enjoying every minute of it. I think he weighs somewhere around 2 1/2 pounds and I am 27 weeks. Thank goodness we are finally in our 3rd trimester.

You doing okay?

Amy

Old 01-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Yup im good and fat, we didnt buy more either we are waiting to save more money to do the IVF but the money never seems to be there to save.
Hes moving a ton here too. I will find our old post.
Meg

Old 01-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User

I just thought I would add my two cents for another perspective. I am 28 weeks pregnant, but I am also a product of artificial insemination. I, along with a few other women, were featured in Glamour Magazine last year about being products of Donor Insemination. It would benifit you all if you could check it out at a local library?!

I wasn't told until I was 19, and I was devistated! Not because I wasn't my father's biological child, but because I had been lied to by the people who love me the most. It is something I have tried almost 10years to move past from, but it is very difficult! Trust me when I tell you this, you may say that you don't plan to tell your child or anyone else for that matter, but it will come out one way or another! You will need to tell your child's doctor information for years to come, along with other people you will least expect.
You child will not love you any less if they know where they came from!
-Stacey (Again, just my 2 cents!)

Closed Thread