It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Angry I feel kinda ignored

I have been having contractions for a looong time, they are not 5 an hour or anything but I have gone and got monitored and I told them that I was having cramping pains like my period down low, they are not concerned, they hook me up to the contraction thing and I am off. I have called the doc so many times......my apt isn't till the 30th. I feel that if I have a question I should ask right? Well I guess they aren't to concerned. Should I leave it alone now? They give you this paper that states if you feel any of these symptoms call your doc it could be pre term. I call and it they say it's normal.
Ugh, sorry ladies, it is hard with your first not knowing what and how to feel and if your ignoring something..
Carly

Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Re: I feel kinda ignored

I'm sorry you're feeling so ignored, they shouldn't be treating you like that. I know (in my case atleast) sometimes those monitors aren't the greatest at picking up contractions. It took them a few tries to get the monitors right on me then once they were correct the nurse even said wow and apologized. Funny how their minds work sometimes. I say keep pushing. They are there for you, you are paying them for their services in helping you have a safe and healthy pregnancy.. So that's what they need to be doing. Have you had an internal yet?? They did one on me after they saw the contractions from the monitor and my dr has done one each visit ever since. Maybe if you request one? I'm not sure if I helped our not, but I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted. Don't ever let them make you feel like you are un-important. Your health and the health of your baby is the most important thing right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, They have not done an internal yet, i am going to ask next time I go in. I have been to labor and delivery 2 times, They got 1 contraction each time. like I said they arenot very frequent but they have stepped it up a noch in frequency.
Carly

Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

I think some people naturally have a lot of BH contractions--my mom said she sometimes would have 3-4 in an hour and sometimes none at all. I asked my doctor about the frequency and he said it's true, some people have BH much more frequently than others. How many weeks are you? And, when you do go in and you said you have one contraction--how long did they have you hooked up for? One or two in an hour is usually not a problem. Do your cramps go away when you lay/sit down? I'm 35 weeks and I get cramps when I stand too long--when I sit down they go away right away, so I'm assuming it's just stretching and strained muscles down there from the growing weight of the baby.
The 30th is kind of a long time to wait--even if they tell you there's nothing wrong. Is there another hospital you can go to and ask specifically for an internal exam, or, could you call your doctor and ask if they have any cancellations if they could get you in earlier? I'd just tell them you have had lots of cramps and contractions and just have this uneasy feeling that something isn't right. I went in to my family practice doctor because I had had some cramps for a few hours and told him I had been under some stress and the first thing he did was an internal exam--and he wasn't even an OB doctor--I'm surprised they didn't do that in L&D for you...
I'm so sorry you're going through this--It's got to be so frustrating. In my opinion, I think you're justified in pushing them until you get some answers.
Take care
Amanda

Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
(female)

curly315 HB User

From one of the other boards that I visit, there are a number of ladies that are due in April that have already been having contractions. They say they are different from BH contractions and have been checked out to be told that everything looked fine and it is the bodies way of starting preparations for the real thing. The main thing stressed to the ladies was if the contractions are timeable. If they are not regular and you can time them, I do not think the dr worries too much. But that is no reason for them not to check you and give you peace of mind. My OB has started seeing me every 2 weeks and checks my cervix each time to make sure I have not started dilating yet. I know how I would feel (this is my first as well) if my dr office did not at least try to ease my mind. I got sick the week before Christmas and did not have any energy (yeah, less than I have now) and was nauseated to the point I did not want to eat. I figured it was just a bug, but I was concerned about how my health might effect the baby. I had an appt that Wed, but when I called and told them that I had been sick and had not been eating and drinking like I should, they had me come in that day. The dr went ahead and checked me while I was there and told me I was beginning to get dehydrated. He put me on bed rest and told me that if I did not rehydrate myself they would admit me and do it by IV. He gave me something to help with the nausea too which I like during that time because it made me sleep which I needed. Point being is that you worrying about your pain is not helping you get the rest you need and it does not help with stress and blood pressure either.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi worry
they should always see you if you are concerned.
i too continue with this low period pain and i get it more often now i think though that i have resigned to the fact it is more strange growing pains but like you it is my first baby and these pains are pains .
when i was in hospital being monitored last week all was fine except for a low cervix she did not say it was dilated or anything which is why although i am concerned about these pains i keep saying they must be practise sensations i don't get the pain with bh's but i do get a lot of bh's too.

i am seeing my midwife on monday and will ask her about these pains we have both been experiencing i will let you know what she says, but i guess she too won't be concerned. i am also paranoid about my waters breaking as i keep having little gushes but it is just normal discharge of which i am having lots tmi.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ladies,I am just about 29 weeks, I am going to try and relax, I did walking today and I feel very heavy and lots of pains(stretching). I don't really want to go back to l&d I was just there sat. I just might me stressing to much on the pains.
Weepy, How often do you get the pains and how long do they last? I also get the gush of stuff but it is just discharge. ask your midwife see what she sais. I do get a lot of bh but not enough to concern anyone, they had me hooked up for about an hour and a half both times.
I told then I was terrified of preterm but she said I would be having a lot more contractions.
I guess I will see how I feel.
Carly
thanks again you are all a god send

Old 01-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi worry
the frequency of the pains has gone up. i get the period like cramps about maybe 3/4 times a day they last for like maybe a minute or two. now you have asked i will try and count and monitor them myself as it could be more really. thanks for asking me this. i will also update you on what the midwife says on monday. can i ask is your baby also incredably active? only mine seems to be turning and pushing outwards practically all the time.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks weepy! No my little one is not as active but when she moves it is like a turn or like you said pushing out. Not much room in there anymore I guess.
I was a little worried but she is getting bigger and the space is smaller.
Carly

Old 01-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i wanted to comment on something one of the posters said......you cannot compare bh to actual labor...as far as timing them. i dont know how many women this happens to...how rare it is, etc...but for me....i started having braxton hicks in my 7 month....i was so used to them that when i was starting to have actual contractions...i didnt know it. but, i started paying attention after it lasted longer than usual. little did i know that i would become more confused than ever!!! from 7 p.m. to 4 am I was on the phone with my sister trying to figure out if i was in labor or not....(and this was my 2nd pregnancy!!!)......my contractions bounced around all nite...not consistent in the least!!! 15 minutes here.....45 minutes there, 2 minutes here, 5 minutes there, 20 minutes, then 3 minutes...i think you get the point! so at 4 am i woke up dh and told him i had no idea if i was in labor or not, but i needed something so that i could get some sleep...so he took me to the hospital....i was dilated 5 cm!!!! so you cant necessarily judge whether or not you are in labor by timing contractions.

Closed Thread