It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Arrow Mentally preparing for natural childbirth...

I am planning on having a natural childbirth meaning no pain medications like the epidural, IV, etc. I would also like to avoid the episiotomy and pitocin if I can. If it is necessary to have a c-section, obviously I will have pain medication. Anyways, I am really focusing on trying to prepare myself mentally for natural childbirth. I think of things like: "Well, it will be a day or so of actual labor. I can deal with the pain for that amount of time." Is there a book, class, or technique that helped those of you who have had natural childbirth or what do those of you who plan to have your child naturally plan to do to mentally and so forth prepare yourselves? Thanks.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User
Re: Mentally preparing for natural childbirth...

I was given a book when pg with ds by Sheila Kritzinger. I was too afraid and in denial to even really get to that section....I really thought it would be o.k. and I had decided that if I had to, I would use meds...but only as a last resort. Well I was induced...didn't read anything about that either....and after 30 hours of h*ll I gave in and had an epidural.
This time I am reading everything, using a midwife, avoiding an induction if I can and hoping/praying for the best. If I could do 30 hours of contraction upon contraction (and induction contractions are supposed to be the worst) I think I'll be o.k.
My suggestion to everyone is to read everything you can, find techniques to meditate or remove yourself from the pain (the book I've been reading suggests finding ways to focus on the journey and the end destination), keep moving as long as possible and most of all, do what seems right for you. Also try to find out ways that your partner can help you relax....there is a great section in my book on massage and you really need this. You get so tense your face hurts, your arms and legs ache, your fingers and toes cramp. I wish I had used some of these as I wasn't able to hold my son for more than 5 minutes at a time for the first 48 hours as I would cramp up so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I see a midwife right now in a military hospital. We are moving in a few weeks and I want to find a midwife in a hospital when I move and I would like to be surrounded by someone like that rather than a bunch of nurses and doctors. Anyone ever use a doula in a hospital? Are they expensive?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
(female)

Laetitia HB User

I am 26 weeks pg with my first, and I am going to try Hypnobirthing. My husband's cousin used this method, and had a very good outcome (if you count giving birth 10 minutes after arriving at the emergency room ).

Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User

I had a COMPLETELY natural childbirth with my second child and I am so glad I did. I used a kind of self-hypnosis technique, where I found a focal point and concentrated on it while the contractions were going on. Basically I just looked at and focused on it while breathing through the contraction. I remember it was a little picture of a hand on the rail of the bed pointing to where the nurse call buttons were. Toward the end as the contractions got really bad I would start to panic and lose my focus, but I stuck with it. I also tried to relax during the contractions instead of fighting the pain, and could feel them working as the baby moved lower with each one. The really bad part only lasted about an hour. In fact the nurses didn't actually believe I was in labor yet and never even checked me until I told them comtemplating getting something for pain. Then they checked me and to everyone's surprise I was 9+ centimeters. They kept saying "Don't worry, we'll start some pitocin for you at 5 a.m. and get this over with" so I guess they thought I wasn't really in labor.

With my first child I was induced and believe me there is no way to combat pain like that except with more drugs, and I had some Stadol, but no epidural.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertyme
I used a kind of self-hypnosis technique, where I found a focal point and concentrated on it while the contractions were going on. Basically I just looked at and focused on it while breathing through the contraction. I remember it was a little picture of a hand on the rail of the bed pointing to where the nurse call buttons were. Toward the end as the contractions got really bad I would start to panic and lose my focus, but I stuck with it.
My mother told me that she used this with my last two siblings. She was recomending it to me, but I didn't really know what she was talking about until I read this post and have been doing some looking into on hypnobirthing. Since I've been told I don't need the c-sec that I thought I would, I'm trying to go completely natural. I guess I'll see when it comes to it, but I plan on attempting the hypnobirthing. I've been talking to DH about it, but he's hasn't been much help. He just keeps telling me that he can't stand to see me in pain and he doesn't know how well he will handle it knowing he halfway caused it. Sweet of him, but I'm going to need him to be a good support! lol

Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
(female)

Laetitia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bmommy
My mother told me that she used this with my last two siblings. She was recomending it to me, but I didn't really know what she was talking about until I read this post and have been doing some looking into on hypnobirthing. Since I've been told I don't need the c-sec that I thought I would, I'm trying to go completely natural. I guess I'll see when it comes to it, but I plan on attempting the hypnobirthing. I've been talking to DH about it, but he's hasn't been much help. He just keeps telling me that he can't stand to see me in pain and he doesn't know how well he will handle it knowing he halfway caused it. Sweet of him, but I'm going to need him to be a good support! lol

I just got my Hypnobirthing book and CDs this weekend. I'm about 1/2 way through the book, and I'm really excited about it.

It's interesteing to me that your DH is worried about seeing you in pain - that's part of the fear that many people have about childbirth. One of the basic premises of Hyponobirthing is that fear causes tension which causes pain. (If you think it's going to hurt, it WILL!) When you're not afraid of the natural process of labor and delivery, you won't be tense, and won't feel pain!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

Anyone ever try getting into a tub during labor to ease contractions? If you did, what do you wear, I am modest? Also, can the water be warm, I wouldn't want to be cold? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I used the tub for a little while during labour but not too long as I was monitored for most of the labour due to being induced and therefore not in the tub. It was absolutely awesome and I hope for the same thing this time...where I deliver you have a jaquizzi tub right in your bathroom...in each of the 7 birthing rooms so you don't get kicked out if someone else wants to use it!!!!
I wore nothing...the only ones in the bathroom with me were dh and the nurse and they really didn't ask me or offer any choice in this. I guess by that point I was o.k. with it all since they'd been checking me out for a bit.
I would suggest the top of a 2 piece or maybe just a tank top.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
(female)

Laetitia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCouture
Anyone ever try getting into a tub during labor to ease contractions? If you did, what do you wear, I am modest? Also, can the water be warm, I wouldn't want to be cold? Thanks.
When I see water births on TV, the mom is always wearing a bathing suit top or a tank top or a sports bra.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #11
(female)

Angellica HB User

::::::::::YOU CAN DO IT::::::::

................I did it!!!!

My labor was 4 hours long and pretty intense only at the end, but you can get through it!!!! I walked all the way through labor until I had to push which was wonderful. I also had my mother in the room with me and when a contraction was nearing, she would push on my lower back with counterpressure which helped the most!!! Right when you think that you need med's, you are probably in Transition and are ready to push your baby out!!!! I did not take the meds and I happy I didn't. I pushed my son out with about 6 pushes (30 min)! I could feel when to push and that really aided in helping my son come out.

great labor experience!!!~***

Angellica~

Closed Thread