It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Can someone explain braxton hicks to me?

I woke up the other night in pain. It's a hard to explain kind of pain. My whole mid section hurt. Not sharp, just a dull ache. That's what woke me up. Then it progressed into a sharp pain, which kind of felt like a mix between an upset tummy and gas pains.

When it got really bad my shoulders and arms hurt too, almost like the flu aches.. but then it went away.

It seemed like it came and went (but not with too much varriation), but this went on for about 2 hours.

Was this braxton hicks? I've never felt anything anything like it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User
Re: Can someone explain braxton hicks to me?

I felt Braxton Hicks at about 20 weeks. For me it felt like my entire tummy got rock hard for about 15-20 seconds and then it would go away. This happened a couple times a day until I got really far along and they happened alot more often. I hope that helps...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

PS
How far along are you?

Old 01-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I'm almost 31 weeks. I haven't felt anything like it before.

The sharp pain of it wasn't on the surface, like my tummy going hard. It was inside, like a cramp/gas pain/upset tummy type thing.. then it go away.

It lasted about 2 or 3 minutes and slowly eased up, then slowly came back about 10 or so minutes later.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

It doesn't sound like BH to me.. I could be wrong, but my Dr stressed that braxton hicks will never be painful, just uncomfortable. And so far for me they have been exactly what she said. When I had what felt kind of like BH along with pain, I was in premature labor. You are pretty far along aren't you? I would call your Dr. Also, my BH aren't consistent. I can't time them and I can't tell you for the life of me when I guess my next one would be.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

If they come frequently or in a pattern maybe they are real contractions? I'm not sure, but that is kind of how contractions started out for me but they were coming in a constant pattern. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

I had the same thing the other night I didnt know what to do and it only really comes at night time it felt like I had a bad stomach ache or gas but I also got nausea with with it and my shoulders were aching it was unexplainable the type of pain it was..

Old 01-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Denise, YES, I got nauseous with sore shoulders too!! It's just.. unexplainable, huh?

It didn't do it last night, it was the night before (Wed night), and it hasn't done it since.

I've looked on the net and nothing I see makes me think these were BH's. I'm definitely going to ask at my next appointment!

Old 01-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi north
iknow i have been having lots of cramp pains different to bh's although i do get lots of bh's but the arm thing and nausea i don't know i would just see your doc/midwife just to be safe. take care

Old 01-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

are you taking anything for gas pains? I get terrible gas pains that travel around my body if I don't take my zantac twice a day and sometimes I take the phazyme (anti-gas) pills too after dinner... just a thought. but I would check w/the doc.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

No, I haven't taken anything for gas. I haven't really had to. It wasn't really a gas pain. Well, I guess it could have been, but that's the best I can explain it. And it was high up, more like under my breasts, or near my belly button, then down low.

It's the weirdest thing, I know! And I haven't had anything like it sice.

Last edited by debating; 01-20-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

where you say the pain is reminds me a bit of heartburn or indigestion try taking some remedies for this and see if it helps, i have been doing this and it seems to ease all the wierd pains i have

Old 01-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Well, if it ever happens again I'll try.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi North -

When pg, I had gas pains under my collar bones and in my upper back. It was so odd. Keep Anti-flatulance Maalox in the house!

That said, BH are never, ever regular and they are not painful. Uncomfortable, yes, but not painful. As a mom who had a 26 weeker because I didn't realize my contractions were not BH, I say call your doctor this weekend or talk to the doctor on call for your doctor. The possiblilty of early labor is nothing to blow off because you don't want to bother the doctor and it's never the right thing to wait until your next appointment to tell the doctor about something unusual that happened or is happening.

And, yes, early labor can come and go. I was awakened in the night with contractions that were every few minutes, but I was sleepy and didn't count. After about an hour, they stopped. The women I worked with made me call my doctor the next day and I was told to head for the office where I was checked and sent to L&D because I was in active labor and hadn't felt it.

Call. Your doctor cannot take good care of you and your baby if you don't tell him/her what is going on. That's why there's always a doctor on call. That's what you're paying for.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Last edited by BarbaraH; 01-21-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I'm not going to call my doctor, only because it's Saturday, this happened on Wednesday. I feel great, it hasn't happened since, no signs of anything else happening, etc.

I doubt it's heart burn, it felt more like an upset tummy, although I picked up some more rolaids today just in case (barely ever need them).

My husband is also a doctor, so I feel as though I'm in good hands. I have another appointment next week, and I'll be sure to bring it up then.

Thanx for all the replies.

Closed Thread