It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Pregnancy and Exercise

Hey there. I am wondering if any pregnant women out there use cardio machines (eliptical, tread mill, stepper, etc.) and work out often? I normally exercise 30-40 minutes 3-4 days a week and hope I don't have to give this up when I get pregnant. I also use weight machines and free weights.

I am just wondering what your exercise routine is like now that you are pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Exercise

I jog on my treadmill 5 times a week and have just now switched to power walking at 4.7 for 45 min. I also use elliptical machine as well. I was lifting weight 3x a week as I have been lifting weights for 4 years and recentely switched over to yoga due to the fact that I felt so stiff all the time and for some reason my muscles were building so quickly I guess all the extra protein in my diet made more muscle tissue anyway, I do love the yoga it makes me feel long and lean so different than the weights I just might continue with this for life. I am 14 weeks. My dr told me it was great to continue with my exercise but you should get the ok from your dr as well. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

You don't have to stop exercising, in fact it can help ease some common pregnancy discomforts and labor. I power walk on the treadmill at a very high incline. I also like the eliptical machine, it is great. Weights are also great, although I am seven months now and I have to stick to my arms because my belly does get in the way when I try to work my legs. Some other people take up yoga. It is beneficial to continue!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

It helps if you are physically active prior to becoming prengnant. I was active prior to and still am at approximately 18 weeks. I do power walking on the treadmill on an incline at least 4 days a week for about 30-45 minutes in addition to pilates reformer (on the machine) 3 days a week! I can definitely say working out gives a huge boost in energy levels!

So, go ahead and workout! In anycase, it's best to not gain so much unecessary weight during pregnancy!

Last edited by Infinitum; 01-22-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

With ds 3 years ago I gave up walking once it got too cold...likely at about 16 weeks. Since then we have purchased an eliptical and I usually get up every week day morning and do about 30-35 minutes on it. I don't let my heartrate get up too high and don't even really get very sweaty (but I am working out in our unheated basement). The eliptical broke between weeks 14-18 and that's when my sciatic began to really act up (all day long and even at night too) and I began to feel super tired. Now at 22.5 weeks I am feeling fairly good, my sciatic only bugs me if I stand too long and I am not nearly so tired. Despite the fact that I am not really burning any fat or working out too hard I can certainly tell it makes a difference.

Closed Thread