It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

caliroo HB User
Question about Alpha-Fetoprotein test results

Anyone out there have abnormal test results for this test?? I did and I'm very worried..

Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User
Re: Question about Alpha-Fetoprotein test results

I had an abmornal test result also. I go in for an amnio today.

I was told not to put too much into it, it just means your risk is higher, I am having an amnio is just to make sure everything is ok, so far all the ultrasounds have shown normal development, so I am hopeful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
(female)

caliroo HB User

Good luck with the Amnio, hope it turns out ok. I had an Ultrasound today and everything looks fine, they want me back in a month to double check. I still cant help but worry though. I also found out its a girl.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

I too had an abnormal reading after my AFP. I had a nuchal translucency back on Dec 15 and it came back a 1:1100 chance of a Downs baby. The AFP was last week and it came back 1:159. A huge discrepency! I chose to go with the amnio. Had it done yesterday. Not nearly as painful as I was led to beleive. Just a short ***** and it was done. The doc did a thorough ultra sound exam prior to the amnio. She checked head, leg, belly size, a normal lip (no cleft), the 4 chambers of the heart, and more. She made me feel quite good about the impending results. I get a preliminary result back in 48 hours that will tell me if my baby has 46 chromosones. That's the magic number.
This doc (a perinatologist I beleive) who performed the amnio - this is all she does. Tests for genetic issues etc. She mentioned the AFP isn't the greatest determination of a Downs. She mentioned many that come back positive that are no such thing, and some who've had a neg result and have a Downs baby. An amnio is unfortunatley the only way to know ahead of time.
just my 2 cents.

Closed Thread