It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User
Re: any dog owners out there

DH22 - how did you train your dogs to not touch the baby toys?
We have two large labs that have stuffed toys etc. etc. I would think this would be impossible - so I am soooooo interested!!!

And also- I have a friend and her dog really gave them a hard time at first (he was the baby and an older dog)... now the baby is about 11 weeks old and he brings her HIS toys to calm her down when she cries... so cute! sometimes you have to give it time too.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobannon
Any suggestions?
Do you have anywhere in the house where the dogs can be crated? Dogs are social creatures, and even though your dogs have each other for companionship, you and your husband (and ultimately your child) are sill members of their pack. In fact, you should be the pack leaders. By putting the dogs outside you're not allowing them the opportunity to adapt to that, and are in fact encouraging that attention seeking behavior.

Dogs that are intended to be family members need to be members of the family, ALL the time. Your house is essentially their den, and it's important then you teach them to respect it as such. It sounds like your guy barks out boredom and perhaps fear (although I'd have to meet the dog to know that for sure).

My male JRT is a barker if left alone too. But not because of external stimulants like yours, but because he objects to being alone. The only cure for that is not allow him to be alone. Simple.

I think you'll find a lot of the disruption your dogs cause would be stopped by brining them into the house and into the family. I have two sets of crates. Once for the bedroom at night time, and two more just off the kitchen for every day use. That way they're never ostracized from the family and always feel included. This has decreased 98% of Rhino's frustrated barking.

As for waking the baby, just keep in mind that if keep the house as a quiet as a church basement, that your baby will end up VERY sensitive to sound. My mother said she could vacume the house with me and my sisters because she never kept it museum quiet and we just learned to adapt.

My biggest suggestion though, would be to bring the dogs in the house and put their crates somewhere where they can see and/or hear you. It will work wonders.

From there you'll be able to sooth the dog with out yelling, etc. Teaching them to be quiet in the crate will be a priceless endeavor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

Well, for now the problem is that the JRT is destructive when my husband and I are not home. I have another family member who lives with us and they are not cooperative about leaving them in the kennels, but does not watch what they are doing at the same time. They get restless at night and my two older dogs become ill (physically b/c of the heat) at night if they are not outside. And if I bring one in and not the others, they grieve and howl like maniacs. They come in the house daily, so a lack of attention is definitely not the problem....lol. We bring them in when we get home at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and they stay in until 11 or 12 at night. As far as waking up the baby, I don't want my house "quiet" so to speak. His bark is just soooo startling that at times it almost makes me jump out of my seat. They are definitely part of the family. We have discussed, after this family member moves, installing a new back door with a "doggy door" so when we are home, they can come and go as they please. and lock it while we are at work. Right now, things are so chaotic in the house, that is just not possible. Call me a control freak....ol.....lbut I don't think that dogs, or children for that matter respond well to mixed signals. I want them to know the rules, and that the rules are the same from everyone. I thank you for your advice.

Amy

Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobannon
Well, for now the problem is that the JRT is destructive when my husband and I are not home. I have another family member who lives with us and they are not cooperative about leaving them in the kennels
You can always try the rolled up news paper technique. Obviously start with some newspaper, roll it up tight, and whack the family member who is not co-operating in YOUR house.

Quote:
I don't think that dogs, or children for that matter respond well to mixed signals. I want them to know the rules, and that the rules are the same from everyone. I thank you for your advice.
You hit the nail on the head!! Make sure everyone is on the same page. And when necessary, use the newspaper.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:44 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

I never claimed that pitts are bad pets, however any case you read about mangled babies, at least all the ones I have read are directly related to pitts, my cousin who lives about 3 hrs away is an avid dog lover and trainer also. I am not pulling information from opinion here. I think alot (not all) pets feel discomfort alot of the time new babies enter their family..I would just be cautious..my brothers pitts ( he has 2) are BIG BABIES but I still would never trust them around children.......just my opinion~Good luck with the decision, I know its tough cause pets are like family members

Last edited by Valerie_s; 01-22-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

LOL North.....I wish that newspaper thing would work, hopefully he will be gone soon. I have 3 terrific dogs, they just need more stability. Thanks for the laugh....I sure needed it.

Amy

Old 01-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

just a suggestion, i think that it is also important that when your child is old enough, to teach the child how to be gentle with the dog. i saw something on t.v about that and they showed how some kids would end up upsetting the dog by pulling at it or hitting it and the dog would get upset and strike.
i only have cats and i have been somewhat able to teach my children to leave them alone especially when they see their tales pounding up and down.
you know i wonder? do you think that a dog can sense the baby in our belly and kind of be a little use to it when the baby comes home.
robin

Old 01-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

[QUOTE=Valerie_I have noticed however that I cant stand the sight of him or my cat this whole pregnancy which in a way makes me feel bad but I am chalking it upto hormones.[/QUOTE]

Valarie, this is what happened to me. I can't explain it. I love my dog and he's a great dog!! He has no obedience problems whatsoever. It may be because I tripped over him a few times and that scared me. He LOVES to be under our feet and that's a bad combination when you're pregnant...duh!! I am 3+ weeks PP, and I'm not feeling 100% happy with my dog just yet. I will say that it's better. I agree, it could be the hormones!

I did make the mistake of not preparing my dog for this baby. It is SO important. I didn't think I needed to because my dog is so good. Well, like I said HUGE mistake. He was freaking out the day we brought Noah home, he kept howling and barking! We had to lock him up in our study all night!! It was like that scene from Something About Mary when the dog's in the bathroom. He wanted out so bad. It took a couple of days, but he really freaked out.

It wasn't fair to him, we didn't prepare him. The funny thing is that the baby isn't bothered by him in the least!! We were so worried that his barking would wake him up, but it seems that our dog is more bothered then the baby!! LOL

Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #24
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

I have two retired greyhounds and a rat terrier. Total opposites but they are the best, never in my wildest dreams would I think these guys would attack or bite. They do get alittle jumpy. I just managed to teach one of my seven year old greys to sit which I thought was the best thing in the world because she is either a really good actor or shes really stupid. I talked to the vet the other day because of some strange behaviors one of my dogs has been displaying and she said that they may be able to sense a change coming, that being the baby(she said they can sense pregnancy, wierd huh) and said to watch how they act with each other and with us because it can start aggressive behavior. I suppose the same with a child and feeling neglected. I am always under a watchful eye whether or not they are near someone that is new to them or a young child just because you never know what can happen. Like I said these guys are the best dogs ever but you never know what will happen. Whether it be a pit or a layed back greyhound you just need to be aware. I do feel bad for the bad press the pit bulls get, I think just because of the power they have doesnt mean they are going to be anymore aggressive until they have been taught that. But like I said never truly TRUST a dog around children, be aware and yes training is a biggy!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

I too couldn't agree MORE with North of 60!!!! I have 4 dogs! All of which are rescues. 2 of which are Border Collies. A very very intense breed. They need a lot of interaction with their owners, and some kind of activity that involves their brain......and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have gone through training classes with 3 of them. I wished I had done it a long long time ago with my other dogs. They gain so much from it, as do I. The bond between human and dog when training is very very strong! I do agility training with all 4. And 1 is even a therapy dog. None of these activites will cease when the baby comes. Perhaps not as much, but I won't stop. I know they need this constant training to be healthy happy dogs.

A dog is not a thing, or property. You must work with him/her as you would a child. The alpha training is an excellent method for a strong willed breed as the pit. They are absolutley wonderful companion dogs! But they take their ques from their handlers. If you can't be the alpha with them, set them up to suceeed, then you are doomed to failure. A year old dog is a puppy. They will have puppy behaviors for a quite a while more.

Please take North of 60's! She knows of which she speaks. If you aren't going to take the time to train, then yes, please find your dog a good home.

Oh, I didn't mention that one of my Border Collies is deaf. And with the signs I've taught him, and the training we've done, I can trust him implicitly with an infant. BUT......that doesn't mean I'm not getting a play pen for my child so the dogs don't bother him!!!!!!!

My dogs have been my children up until this point. They won't stop being my only children, but I wouldn't give them up for the world! But this relationship took time, hard work, and patience.

Closed Thread