It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

shannonkristin HB User
any dog owners out there

ok... so right now im feeling a little hormonal, and just got into a little tiff with fiance.
we have a year old pitt bull terrior mix, who is pretty hyper, she loves to jump on us, bite, play and jump around on us. When company comes she is the same way. We currently take her to classes, but shes still so hyper, because it is in her nature. Ihave expressed my concerns about this to him many times about her, and he just gets mad at me, and im sooo sick of it. I know its not going to work out with her... so i just need to know if any of you have experiences with all this!

Old 01-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User
Re: any dog owners out there

our dog is a beagle pug mix, about medium size, he doent walk around our house he would rather sit in the crate so we are lucky in that sense, if hes not in his crate he is outside...I have noticed however that I cant stand the sight of him or my cat this whole pregnancy which in a way makes me feel bad but I am chalking it upto hormones.I dont htink that the mix breed you have is a good idea to have around kids..there is alot of info online about what does to have or not to have with children

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

i was just curious if you talked to the trainers about your situation and if so what did they say.
i know that most puppies are hyper and i think that with the help of a trainer like you are doing your puppy will grow up to be a good dog. are you kennel training? that is really working well for some family members of mine who have just had a baby. their dogs also have a separate part of the yard in the back that has become really helpful.
pit bulls do have a bad reputation and i think that it is all in how you raise them.
i have been around some mean ones and ones that think they are big kitty cats trapped in a dogs body.
good luck and i hope that everything works out so both you and your husband are happy.
take care,
robin

Old 01-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I'm dog owner and trainer!!

The reason it's not going to work out is because you've already decided it won't. You've sealed this dogs fate, basically. She's a puppy, and is acting like one. This is a classic case of the dog walking all over the owners. Take a deep breath, it is VERY fixable!

Taking her to classes is simply not enough, not in this situation. You need to WORK HARD at getting her to listen. It's all about life style.

A few things I suggest you "google" and read up on that WILL make the difference for this dog...

- Crate training. This dogs needs to have a safe place where it can go as a "time out". And as a new mother, you'll enjoy having a place you can safely put the dog where it can't get into trouble. It will help enforce you as pack leader, which in turn will help with jumping, nipping, and other indicators that this dog is walking all over you.

- "ALPA" training or "NILF" training. Alpha training is an adaption of how wild dogs live. You'll essentially be placing yourself as the pack leader and instructing the dog to follow through natural methods - body language, feeding practices, tone of voice, etc. NILF stands for "nothing in life is free", and there has never been a better acronym in the dog world. NOTHING should be free to dogs. Not even a scratch on the head, and this is something you have to start RIGHT AWAY.

And lastly, I would encourage you to see a trainer one-on-one. Even just once to get you started in the right direction.

In the mean time, here are a few things you can do.

- Do not allow the dog on the furniture. You must be seen from above. Allowing the dog to become closer to eye level when it already disobeys you is only perpetuating the behavior problems.

- Do not pet or acknowledge the dog (not even eye contact) when it misbehaves. Ignore bad behavior and reward good behavior. If the dog jumps on you, IGNORE it, turn your back, and walk away. If you are going to speak, it should be to distract the dog into doing something different, like "sit" or "down". Even negative behavior is a stimulant for some dogs.

- Snap a leash onto this dog and make her wear it ALL THE TIME (as long as you are supervising). When she jumps on strangers, stand on it! Put your foot near the buckle and pull her to the floor, and give a stern "DOWN". When she has settled, allow her to come up, but repeat it again if she jumps.

- Always, always, always reward good behavior. Set her up to succeed, not fail. Ask her to do things you KNOW she can do, however simple (even just a sit), and then reward like crazy. Right now she is acting out to get attention, even if it's negative. You want to switch her motivator from seeking any attention, to wanting to please. By ALWAYS rewarding her for something she'll soon learn that certain behaviors get her treats, or scratches, or time to play with her favorite toy.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie_s
I dont htink that the mix breed you have is a good idea to have around kids..there is alot of info online about what does to have or not to have with children
I couldn't disagree more. Pit Bulls make excellent family pets, and are wonderful with children. They are dog-dog aggressive, as they have been bred to fight, and not all dogs have had this bred out of them. But pit bulls were bred to be mindful of their owners who are able to walk into a fighting pit and pull them apart without injury.

ANY dog, even a pitt bull, needs to be properly socialized and trained. Failing to do this will result in an animal that is not compatible with certain living arrangements, including families with kids. But do not be mistaken, with the right handling, your children will have a companion for the duration of the dogs life in a Pitt.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

I myself was in the same situation. My dh and I had a pure bred beagle. I loved this pup to death. He is almost 2 years old now and we had him for almost a year. When we found out we were pregnant, I looked at my dh and told him we really had to find him a good home because he was just to jumpy and still had all his puppy in him. But of course that's how a pure bred beagle is because they are a hunting dog. I was lucky that we were able to give him to my parents when they came out for Thanksgiving. Now we presently have 2 cats. My husband wanted to get a boxer pup right before he left for Iraq and I put my foot down on that because I wasn't going to have the time or energy to want to train a pup. So thankfully I"m lucky that we are waiting on that till he gets home for good. I told him that I wasn't going to be the one to train his pup. The best I could suggest for you is to talk to your fiance and tell him, you have to really think about the baby. That's what my dh did with me. It was hard for me to give up my baby. We both loved him dearly but we know that we can go to Cali any time to see him. I hope this helps. Cause trust me I understand. I'm actually going through it too right now with one of the cats that we have. I"m ready to throw her out the door. It's amazing how bad a hyper animal can really affect you when your pregnant.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

shannonkristin HB User

see what really concerns me is that the behavior that she has now, and how we treat her has been done since she was a baby. like i don't like to allow her on the bed, but that never happens, i feel like i have no bearing. we tried to have a kitten, and all of the introdution things didn't work, i've read so much into this, and tried so much with that, and had to give the cat to my mom because of it.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

I would suggest if obedience classes dont work you might have to try and find someone to take her. I have heard too that if you carry a baby doll around to get the dog used to seeing you with a baby that they are supposed to get used to it. I knew that my dh and I weren't going to be able to break out dog of his habits and he needed another dog to play with (thank god my parents have another dog and they love him to pieces). Sometimes dogs just aren't good around kids. That's why with the pup that my husband is getting is one that is good with kids. Sometimes too people dont think of that not saying that all dogs cant be trained to be good around kids. Some are just harder than others. I really hope you have luck with it. I wish there was more I could help ya with.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Shannon- I agree 100% percent with North of 60. I also am a dog owner and dog trainer and would recomend the Alpha training she mentioned. I have seen it work wonders with dogs that owners think there is nothing more they can do. Your dog can sense your attitude, your fear, your nervousness, etc.

Also, the myth of pitbulls being bad family pets is, just that. A myth. It's a stereotype because so many of them are used and trained to be fighters because of their strength. I helped train a rednosed pit who lived in a house with a new born and a 2 year old. That dog is AMAZING with the children. Don't write the dog off yet, have a positive attitude towards training. You'll get a lot farther that way. Good luck to you, let us know how everything goes.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
(female)

shannonkristin HB User

see i love this dog, and i do know she is a good dog, and its not the breed that scares me, i grew up with rotties, one which was a 120lb version of her... i mean i guess we will have to work with her, and see what happens when baby day comes...

Old 01-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i have two mix breeds that were hyper, when i had my first son, i read up on how to train them to be used to the new addition, it's wonderful, they play with adults but are SUPER gentle with him, they let him do what ever he wants and they don't do anything, when they have had enough, they walk away.
the fact that shes a girl makes me think that her mommy insticts will come in because that's what happened with mine. she's still jumpy and crazy with us and other adults but not near the baby. we were also able to help the dogs distiguish what toys belong to ds and what belong to them, unfortunatley we haven't been able to train our son to leave thier toys alone.

don't shut her out when she hasn't had a chance to prove herself yet.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonkristin
baby. like i don't like to allow her on the bed, but that never happens, i feel like i have no bearing.
I don't quite understand that statement. You don't want her on the bed, but she ends up on the bed anyway?

You have toughen up. I know it's hard to do, but being a stern, firm, assertive (yet loving) dog owner makes all the difference in the world! Especially with terriers! I have two Jack Russell Terriers, which are miniature versions of your dog (but don't let the size fool you). By nature they are a hard headed breed that require a strong and dominant leader. Telling this dog what do, or forcing this dog into submission will NEVER work. You have step up to the plate and be the leader, and then the dog will naturally follow along.

You don't need to give your dog up, and I don't suggest you follow that advice. There isn't a dog on this planet that can't be whipped into shape in the nine months that we're pregnant. I have proved this theory right with my own two brats, as well as the countless other pregnant women I have worked with in my own clientel. In fact, if you read up on the things I mentioned and actually DO them, ALL the time, and STICK with them, you'll see a difference in a matter of DAYS.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

North of 60...I wasn't implying that she give up her dog, I was honestly truly just telling her what I had done with my dog. That was just a truly harsh comment I think that you made towards what I had wrote. I"m sorry I guess I should really watch what I say since I was just telling her what I had done.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinArmyWife05
North of 60...I wasn't implying that she give up her dog
Sorry, I must have misunderstood this comment then...

Quote:
LovinArmyWife05: you might have to try and find someone to take her.
Quote:
That was just a truly harsh comment I think that you made towards what I had wrote.
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound harsh, I just don't agree with giving up the dog. Not at this point. I don't think nearly enough has been done for this dog. It's still a puppy, and this behavior is completely normal.

I'm not going to get into the debate about whether or not we should give dogs up for our children. I've seen that conversation here before and it wasn't pretty. All I meant was that at this point I don't think it's necessary. That was not a slam against you, it was an honest assessment of what she's shared about THIS particular dog.

Last edited by debating; 01-22-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

North of 60,

I just want to thank you for all of your information.

I have 3 dogs and have different concerns regarding them.

I have one large, very clumsy Rott/Lab mix who is a love muffin. She listens very well and responds well to praise. My concern with her is her size. I don't really think that this is a big deal as she is very careful where she sits and she won't even sit on a piece of paper, she makes every effort to avoid touching things. She would rather sprawl out on the carpet anyway.

I have a border terrier mix. She is what we call our "miss priss". She is the one I worry about the most. She does not adapt well to change. In fact, when we got a third dog, she responded much differently than I thought she would. She salivated and nudged the new puppy. She did not attack or even attempt to bite him, but she was much more aggressive than I had ever seen her. She responded appropriately to redirection.

My youngest dog is a Jack Russell mix. He is a wild man. Fortunately for us, I kennel trained him off the bat. He is not aggressive, but is VERY hyper. He responds well to redirection, but I wonder how he will respond when the baby arrives. We do not have the extra money to hire a trainer one on one. He is the dog that I want to throw out the door (sorry, I know this sounds bad). They stay outside at night most of the time, but he barks at EVERYTHING. I mean a blowing wind, a blade of grass, anything. I have put a bark collar on him, it doesn't work, he barks right over it. I change the battery every day or every other day. It is not a shocking bark collar, just one that reacts with that screeching sound when they bark. I don't know what to do with him. I feel like the baby will be woken everytime he barks, it is not at all quiet. more like an ongoing howl. Any suggestions?

Amy

Thanks for all of the information you have already provided.

Closed Thread