HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Has anyone ever heard of this??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/359415-has-anyone-ever-heard.html)

myloathe 01-22-2006 04:13 PM

Has anyone ever heard of this???

OK, the other day, I was in the kitchen stretching to reach the top of my cupboard for a cookbook, when my sister came in the room screaming at me not to do that. She said that if you stretch your arms over your head alot, you risk the chance of your baby being strangled by the umbilical cord.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing???

OrangeCouture 01-22-2006 04:31 PM

Re: Has anyone ever heard of this???

No, I never heard of such a thing. If it is true it somewhat puzzles me because it is beneficial to workout and stay physically active during pregnancy and that includes weights for your arms and during that exercise you reach upward.........maybe someone else knows more about it, but I don't necessarily believe it at this point.... :)

sobannon 01-22-2006 04:35 PM

I have heard of it, but I think it is an old wives tale. I reached up to get something off of a shelf not long ago, and this woman, who I didn't even know about ripped my head off telling me the same thing...lol.

Amy

LovinArmyWife05 01-22-2006 04:36 PM

What it is, if you lift over your head to much supposedly you wrap the baby's umbibical cord around their neck. This is not true though. I asked my OB about this and she said that 1 in 3 babys will have their around their neck. Mostly how this happens is the baby is pulling on it and stretches the cord out and with them moving about they end up getting it wrapped. It's something so common that it's really nothing to worry about.

Denise98 01-22-2006 04:55 PM

My SIL told me that when I first found out I was pregnant so I went and asked my doctor and she told me its an old wives tale and not to worry about it..

OrangeCouture 01-22-2006 05:15 PM

I hope no one at my baby shower gives me unwanted or ridiculous advice, I think I would honestly just lose it if someone told me not to reach upwards because I could strangle my baby. I would really have to challenge that person and where they got their information.

debating 01-22-2006 05:30 PM

I asked my doctor about this as well, and she told me it's bunk. Stretching your arms above your head does not stretch the uterus enough to reposition the umbilical cord. And if it, the odds of it actually going around the neck are slim.

Valerie_s 01-22-2006 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=myloathe]OK, the other day, I was in the kitchen stretching to reach the top of my cupboard for a cookbook, when my sister came in the room screaming at me not to do that. She said that if you stretch your arms over your head alot, you risk the chance of your baby being strangled by the umbilical cord.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing???[/QUOTE]

Old wives tale

summertyme 01-22-2006 06:52 PM

I heard that too when I was pregnant. A well-meaning co-worker told me "A friend of mine reached up to get something off a shelf, and the cord wrapped around her baby's neck and....well...the next time she went to the doctor her baby was dead..." Thanks a lot for the great story!!! Needless to say, it's not true.

Brooke85 01-22-2006 09:55 PM

My doctor also told me it is not true. She even told me before I asked (probably because she gets asked so much!!) at my very first appt. she told me this. Plus, I've been doing a lot of yoga and they even make prenatal yoga...and what's yoga without stretching your arms above your head? obviously they wouldn't let pregnant women do it if this were the case!

Laetitia 01-23-2006 10:17 AM

I always wondered how you were supposed to take your shirts off without raising your arms over your head. People will believe anything!

feb06baby 01-23-2006 04:40 PM

My pyscho MIL swears to this!!!!!!!! Only b/c the day before she gave birth to one of her kids she was up dusting shelves and cabinets, having to raise her arms over her head. Well of course the baby had the cord wrapped around the neck, but only b/c its so common. It's and old wives tale for sure. Every time we are around her she tells me this and even gets on to me about everything I do that is [I]slightly [/I] strenious like carrying a laundary basket up the stairs or something...ugh...MIL'S...lol