It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Unhappy Feeling Bad Need Your Help :(

Hi there Wondering if any of you could help me.....I am just a little under 2 weeks pregnant. Today I'm feeling extra nausiated and having to be at work isn't making it any better. I've already eaten breakfast thinking that would help but it hasn't and gingerale is making me want to gag. Is it ok if I sip on some regular coke?

Hoping that you are feeling better then me right now

Old 01-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User
Re: Feeling Bad Need Your Help :(

Why can't you drink a Coke? If you can stomach it, then drink it. I only had some mild nausea that lasted no more than two weeks and the trick for me was to force myself to keep something in my stomach at all times and by doing so I stayed ahead of the nausea and it went away for me. Letting your stomach empty also upsets or causes the nausea because of the extra acid in your stomach. Keeping something in there to absorb helps tremendously, at least for me. Stay away from strong smells and eat what you have to, to get through this hopefully short phase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Unhappy Re: Feeling Bad Need Your Help :(

Thanks Orange.....

The reason I didn't think I should be drinking regular pop (or any pop) is because of the caffine..?????

Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

Faythey HB User

Caffine isnt good, but if it will prevent nasuea then you should drink it.

There havent been any studies that identify the negative effects of caffine, so it can be assumed that having a coke every day shouldnt be harmful.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User

My dr told me one or two cans of coke will be fine. I had "all day" sicknes for the first 5 months of my pregancy. Coke did work a little. Warm Coke worked too if you can somach it. Nothing gave me complete relief though. Raw vegies, plain pasta, and boiled potaoes all helped me. Oh yeah, salt and vinegar chips helps the most. Water made me sick quicker then anything, especially on an empty tummy.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I actually did a study will pg with ds on caffeine. I had a friend who commented to another friend that she could not believe how much caffeine I had...how much pop and didn't I know that was harmful. (I think I'd drank the equivalent of 3 cans over the course of a day...and this was highly unusual for me).
Anyway, I did some research and found out that they recommend you keep your coffee intake to under 3 a day while pg. A regular coffee has about 150 mg of caffeine it it and a can of coke has 55. So by this math I deducted that when talking caffeine alone you could have over 8 cans of coke a day!!!! Obviously the sugar would be more of an issue!!!
So don't sweat the small stuff, especially when you are just trying to get through the day without throwing everything up. I also found salt and vinegar chips to be the best for me (I discovered those in my teenage years...great to combat hangovers with!!!!)
Good luck!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

salt And viear potato chips helped me as did sucking on mints

Old 01-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User

I'll have to try the salt n vinagar thing!!!!

Thanks for reassuring me about the coke!

Old 01-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Dont worry about the caffine thing, I quit for almost three months and then started getting pregnancy headaches and my doctor told me caffine will help and drink one in the am and one at night a few hours before bed. He said there is nothing wrong with drinking it just not a 12 pack a day. Im sure he didnt think 11 a day was ok he was trying to get a point across. I started drinking coke when I had the flu this time instead of 7up and it worked so much better. I would just drink it and hope it helps.
Meg

Old 01-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

Yup - don't sweat the small stuff is right. Not only did my Dr. okay my morning coffee - I found it did wonders to combat constipation in the first trimester. If I skipped one day, I'd be 'backed up' (sorry TMI) for the next three days! I must say, though, (now that I am into 2nd tri. and can stomach more variety) the most amazing things for keeping me feeling well all around are fruits and veggies.

Closed Thread