It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User
Other pain medication options besides Epidural

I was truly thinking about having a natural childbirth but I dont know if I will be able to with my complications since I will more than likely be induced. If this is so, is there any other options besides an epidural. I'm really paranoid about having a needle stuck in my spine. I know that anastesiologist are very well trained but I"m still worried that something could go wrong and they could puncture a nerve or what not. Has anyone had any other pain medications besides epidurals? Or been induced and not had any sort of pain medication. Please let me know. Thanx.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User
Re: Other pain medication options besides Epidural

I was induced and had Stadol. I wasn't crazy about the needle in my spine either. Everyone told my I would change my mind, but I didn't. I had an IV and they added Stadol to it. They told me "This might make you a little drowsy" and that's the last thing I remember for about 2 hours. It was great, but it made me feel really drugged out for several hours after the delivery.

With my second (not induced) I had NOTHING and I plan to do that again if I have any more kids. I was able to get up and walk around about a hour after having the baby and recovered a lot quicker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

LovinArmyWife,
If you are due in April, how do you know you will probably be induced? I am also due in the beginning of April and I have no clue what will be going on then, whether I will go into labor early, late, right on the due date. Has your medical already discussed with you that you need to be induced? Just curious!

Old 01-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

Orange~
I have preeclampsia so I wont go to my due date. I will have him by 38wks. I can have him anytime between now and than. They will induce me when they see fit because of my kidneys and liver not functioning the way they are supposed to be and he could end up in serious trouble if I carried him to term.

summer~

Thank you for that insight. I will have to see if I can have him naturally when/if they do induce me. Otherwise I will ask for stadol. That is another of my concerns is how fast I will be up and moving and what not after I have the lil man. I dont even want to call him lil cause oh dear he is big. LoL. Thank you again for the insight.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

LovinArmyWife,
Okay, I see.....sorry to hear you are having complications with your pregnancy. April still seems like so far away and I couldn't imagine talking about being induced or having the baby yet. I know my girl is barely two pounds now. She is small, I was 6 pounds 1 oz. and my husband was 6 pounds and we both are not big people at all, so I expect her to be a small baby. Is your baby large because of the pre-eclampsia? I don't know anything about it. Good luck to you!

Old 01-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
(female)

**Peaches** HB User

I went to my hospital's website, and it has a brief article on pain relief options during childbirth. It lists relaxation techniques, position choices, and these ones -
TENS: (Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulation) is given through electrodes taped to your skin (a mild electric current tricks your nerves so that you feel less pain).
Entonox: "Laughing gas" (a mixture of 50% nitrous oxide and 50% oxygen) is given though a face mask.
Narcotics: Pain medication such as Demerol, Fentanyl or morphine is given by injection into the vein or muscle.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

Orange~

It's okay. Trust me March still seems like it's so far off that I dont know what is going to happen. I cant seem to even think of being induced but well right now for me it's just reality and that's about all that I can do is face it. My husband has a big stature. He's 6'2 so we are more than likely to have larger children. I was almost a 9 lb baby and my husband was a 6 lb baby but he was born 3 wks early. Actually preeclampsia normally makes the baby smaller but because they are off on my due date I say by at least 2 wks that is what my ultrasounds are saying so he's bigger.

Peaches~

Thank you for looking into that I never thought of doing that just because well I am not sure at what hospital I will be having my baby at. If I have him anywhere earlier than 38wks I will be having him here on post and than more than likely getting sent to the other hospital here because they have a NICU whereas the hospital here doesnt. I will have to look into those options thanks again.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Army Wife,

With pre-eclampsia, you may have to have a section because of the danger associated with it. You may not be allowed to labor at all. That's the situation my friend was in and she did fine with the section. Ask you doctor if that's likely for you because you'll need a friend or family member to be with you as you recover and are alone.

I still hope you can use the paper saying your complication is pre-eclampsia to get your DH home! Fingers crossed.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

Barbara~

Thank you so much. I went and turned in the paper to the commander in charge today so we will see what ends up happening. My new doc told me he doesn't know what he wants to do yet. And it's bothering me really bad because I want to know. I dont know much and that is pretty much how they are going to keep me, in the dark. It's hard because I really dont have anyone who can be here if I do end up with a c section. That's why I"m scared to have one.

Courtney

Old 01-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinArmyWife05
Barbara~

Thank you so much. I went and turned in the paper to the commander in charge today so we will see what ends up happening. My new doc told me he doesn't know what he wants to do yet. And it's bothering me really bad because I want to know. I dont know much and that is pretty much how they are going to keep me, in the dark. It's hard because I really dont have anyone who can be here if I do end up with a c section. That's why I"m scared to have one.

Courtney
If you dont have anyone to be with you if your hubby doesnt get home, I would look into getting a doula. Im sure they would go through a C-section with you so you are comfortable. You can get to know them and they can help you out with labor if you dont have to have the c-section.
meg

Old 01-23-2006, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

Meg

Thanks for the advice. I will definitly look into one once I find out what they are going to do with dh. I tell you it's more stress right now than it's worth so it seems.

Closed Thread