It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

smec HB User
Feta

I am 10 weeks pregnant and I ate some pizza with feta on it tonight. I didn't realize it was even on there. Should I be really concerned? I know it's on th list of things you're not supposed to have.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User
Re: Feta

From what I was told, feta fresh on a salad etc... not cooked is not good since it's usually not pasteurized according to US standards. But I did ask my doctor about Feta on my pizza--which I like very much as well. She said it was Ok as long as the Feta was cooked with the pizza--therefore ridding it of any lingering bacteria that could be detrimental to the baby.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Most feta cheeses are pasturized. It will say right on the package. If it's cooked, like on pizza, it's fine.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #4

jriegel HB User

in order for it to even enter the US through customs and trades, it has to be pasturized. it's fine. i had fresh feta the other night at a mediterranean restaurant - amazing, it tasted SO good!!

Old 01-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

Angellica7748 HB User

::::::: When in doubt, ask your Doctor::::::::::~*

Old 01-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
(female)

Angellica7748 HB User

:::::: I see that you did ask your Doctor!~*

I would call up other Doctors and or Pediatritians in your area (yellow pages) and ask what they have to say regarding if FETA is safe to eat during pregnancy and then get a consensus among the people you call and decide from there.

Angellica~*

Old 01-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

yummy feta...........
Ok so I have a thing for Feta cheese, blue cheese and anything else they tell us not to eat. It must be my curse. I always order blue cheese and then half way through realize im not suppose to be eating it. They say it can contain Listeria but it also says that it can be in unpaterized Brie, Camembert, and goat cheese, also hot dogs and deli meat. So I guess eat at your own risk, im starting to think that there is something wrong with everything we eat these days.
Meg

Old 01-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I think the lysteria thing is a load of bunk. If you're interested, take a look at the CDC website (center for disease control). It's a very RARE "disease". You'll find all the statistics there.

As has already been mentioned, cheese has to be pasteurized in the states (unless it's imported, but I think even now that has to be pasteurized as well).

As for deli meat, just use common sense and safe food handling practices. Your chances of getting salmonella from a chicken burger are higher then getting lysteria!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

North I agree.......give me my feta or give me ummmmmm just give me my feta.
Meg

Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

First off, a teeny bit of "soft cheese" is not going to hurt your baby. Secondly like one woman said, many brands of feta ARE pasteurized. When in doubt steer clear but don't stress out if you accidentally eat some.

Also, remember that in other parts of the world (france) pregnant women eat unpasteruized cheeses all the time, every day, and their babies turn out fine. Sometimes I think that American doctors scare us too much about what foods to avoid.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #11

jriegel HB User

Yeah, once again, for it to even be in the states, it has to be pasturized. unless you or a friend personally brought it from another country (and you would have had a near impossible time getting it through customs) or you bought it on the black dairy market from someone else who smuggled it in from another country, OR you bought it from a farm that sells raw milk as "pet food" and ate it for yourself. Pasturization is heating the substance within a couple of SECONDS to over 100 degrees farenheit to kill "bacteria" like polio (not kidding, pasturization was introduced in the early decades of the 20th century because of supposed diseases that were passed through "sick" cows) and listeria and various others. What walnutsmom said is correct: plenty of women in Europe eat unpasturized cheese, butter and milk all the time, and are perfectly fine. Cows stocked in huge wastelands called feedlots are much more prone to disease because they are overfed all the wrong things, they walk around (and eat) their own muck and other disgusting things... i would not hesitate to pasturize milk from feedlot cows. and like i said, any cheese you eat in the states is going to be pasturized, unless you some how obtained smuggled cheese, which then probably came from a clean farm where the cows get fed properly and get lots of air and sunshine and room to move around and don't each other's muck. sorry if that's too much information, but that's why pasturization is necessary.

so i wouldn't worry a bit about the cheese you ate. i'm not, i will eat it every chance i get. Pass the feta, someone.

Closed Thread