It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #1

Tweetymommy HB User
Amnio

Hello Ladies and gents,

My original due date for my daughter was to be Feb,27. However I always knew that it would be atleast a week early due to a necessary c-section (first two were sections) And the doctors set the surgery date for the 20th.

Around Thanksgiving I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and we attempted to control it with diet and exercise this didnt work so I was put on Insulin a month later. I have been on increasingly higher doses of insulin since than. But there was no change in the surgery date.

Today I had my regular doctors appointment expecting my first physical exam and instead was suprised to find out that I am being put in for an Amnio next week Thursday when I will be 36w3d pregnant to determine if my daughters lungs are prepared for birth. And if she is than I will be delivered immediately. I am surprised to say the least.

My questions are this, firstly is the test painful? will there be a local used? and has anyone else had a amnio at this stage and had the lungs come back ready?

Old 01-25-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Re: Amnio

I'm surprised they would be worried about the lungs at 36 and half weeks, concidering 37 weeks is "term".

If they're worried about your health, I would probably go through it, otherwise I would opt not to have the amnio and just wait another week (or two if possible).

Weird.. then again, I don't know much about diebetic moms/babies.

I didn't want an amnio the first time, and I'd try to avoid one later on as well. But that's just me.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

I'm surprised they would be worried about the lungs at 36 and half weeks, concidering 37 weeks is "term".

If they're worried about your health, I would probably go through it, otherwise I would opt not to have the amnio and just wait another week (or two if possible).

Weird.. then again, I don't know much about diebetic moms/babies.

I didn't want an amnio the first time, and I'd try to avoid one later on as well. But that's just me.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Hi - I had an Amnio at 16 weeks. I am having a csection as well - this is my first baby but I have herniated discs ya da ya da.

I think its less dangerous later in the pregnancy - but I can't be for sure. I didn't have the local etc. - I had cramping etc. but I would totally do it all again. As soon as they pulled the needle out - I looked at my hubby and said I would do it again. Even though it wasn't pleasant.

The doc is probably worried that your baby is going to be big due to the GD... I am sure there are women on here that have had the amnio at 36 weeks etc.
Best wishes to you for a great recovery - and healthy baby!

Old 01-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #5

Tweetymommy HB User

From what I gathered with the docs viset today is that a GD babies lungs dont mature as fast as a normal pregnancy say at 34 weeks. And due to the Insulin I guess the placenta beguins to deteriorate earlier so they want to get to her. I am just freaked out by the whole thing.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetymommy
From what I gathered with the docs viset today is that a GD babies lungs dont mature as fast as a normal pregnancy say at 34 weeks. And due to the Insulin I guess the placenta beguins to deteriorate earlier so they want to get to her. I am just freaked out by the whole thing.
I never knew that, I guess it makes sense.

I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!!

Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Yes good luck and best wishes to you and your little one! Many women have GD and have the amnios! Just take a deep breathe and stare at the ceiling.... that is what I did - I just tried to think of being any where else but there!

For me the sensation of the needle (when they took out the fluid) was a severe "pinching" some women would call it cramping - I thought it was more of a pinching - a strong pinch... NOT fun or comfy - and it makes you worry.... so keep trying to get your mind off of it while its happening.... and of course like I said before - I would totally do it again - and I will do it with my second pregnancy if we decide to have another baby.

XXOO Friday
let us know how you did!
35 weeks = and 1 day.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Hi TweetyMom:

All I can tell you is that I was insulin dependant with my son and had GD. He was also delivered at 34 weeks. He was 6 weeks early and my doctor never did an amnio. All they did was an ultrasound and set me up for a c-section, as I also had preeclampsia. I would question about the lungs. They are usually strong enough by now. It just does not make sense to me, but I'm no doctor either. I do know that because of c-section infants do have a bit of trouble breathing moreso than vaginal births. My son had a little bit of trouble, but NOTHING to worry about. He was also a bit jaudice and had to have an iv himself because once they cut the placenta, the sugar is cut off to the baby and sometimes they can get low blood sugar, so I guess they give them an iv in case? Anyway, I'm sure you will have more than one doctor in the room when you deliver. Usually the have a few nenatal doc's in there prepared if a woman has had a high risk pregnancy. Everything went great with me. My son is a healthy 7 year old little boy now and I would do it over again in a hearbeat. Actually, I may be doing it over soon. Best of luck to you, and again, ask the doctor about why the amnio is so important as to the delivery or is it possible that you don't really need it. Some doctors, not to say all, are a bit greedy and will run any tests for money's sake.

Best of luck!!!

Melly

Closed Thread