It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User
How do you help baby turn head down??

When did your current or past baby turn head down if he/she wasn't already head down around 30wks? Did you do anything to help your baby turn? If so, what?

I know babies generally drop around 36wks. Well...my little guy was head down but turned bottom down at 29wks. I am now 32wks and he is still bottom down. So he has about a month to turn head down before my midwife starts to "worry" about it.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: How do you help baby turn head down??

with my last pregnancy (my 2nd) i was like 38wks and my daughter was still breach. my doc said that if she did not go head down by the next visit i would have to be scheduled for a c-section, i don't know why but that scares me.
anyway a couple of nights later i was laying in bed and i literally felt and could see her move all the way around. it was so crazy to see and also was painful.
i have seen on some baby stories on t.v that the doctor will actually try and turn the baby for you, it looks so painful though.
goodluck and keep us posted,
robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I was with my sister in law when she delievered my nephew....he was a big boy, and in a breech position, and they did have to try and turn him.....they tried three times to turn him, and it was painful just for me to watch! I could see him moving and everything, and they could get him about halfway, but he just didn't want to go head down, so SIL had to have a c-section because delivering breech naturally is very dangerous from what I understand. But really, if the baby won't turn on their own, all you can do is hope for the best, or get your doctor to try and turn them manually.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I am going on 31 weeks and I have no clue what side is up and which side is down on our baby girl. How do you tell? I just feel her move all over all the time. Anyways, I have much younger sister, she is 11, and when my mother was pregnant with her, she was breech and they tried to turn her by the doctor placing his hands on her stomach and physically trying to turn her from the outside. My mom also said it was extremely painful. She ended up having a c-section with her because she didn't turn around.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCouture
I am going on 31 weeks and I have no clue what side is up and which side is down on our baby girl. How do you tell? I just feel her move all over all the time. Anyways, I have much younger sister, she is 11, and when my mother was pregnant with her, she was breech and they tried to turn her by the doctor placing his hands on her stomach and physically trying to turn her from the outside. My mom also said it was extremely painful. She ended up having a c-section with her because she didn't turn around.

Im the same way I ask everybody because they say you can tell how there positioned and I cant I feel her move all around but couldnt tell you what is what..

Old 02-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Orange & Denise - I only know what position he is in because of ultrasounds. At normal Dr ultrasounds he had been head down. At 29wks I had a 3D/4D ultrasound and he was still head down. The next day I felt tons of movement in there and could see tons of movement. When he was done, I could tell he was in a different position because where his butt had been lodged (at the top of my uterus making me sore) it was no longer there. lol I knew it was his butt that had been there do to the 3D/4D u/s the day before. Well the next week we had a rescan 3D/4D done to see if we could get better pics (the rescan was free) and that's how we knew he had turned butt down. As far as I can tell he is still like that. I haven't felt the major movement like I did before. It was pretty crazy feeling! I would definitely notice if it happened again unless he just slowly inches himself into the right position. But if he does it all at once - then I will surely feel it!

If it weren't for the ultrasounds then I wouldn't know what position he is. But the Dr can manually tell what position the baby is in too. They will generally check at 36wks to see if the baby is head down.

Last edited by laurabelle1317; 02-05-2006 at 04:34 AM.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
(female)

amlve HB User

Hello all. Hope everyone is as good as they can be. I am 36.5 weeks right now with DS. I went to my doc on Thursday and when he examined me he said that he thought he was breach. We have known that he was since November. Well for some reason I thought he had turned since I was feeling hiccups down below. Not paying attention to the fact that I was also feeling kicking down there as well. Needless to say he pulled me across the hall for an US, and hes transverse. Almost at a 45 degree angle. So I asked him if he will turn on his own. He said maybe, but hes a fairly big boy. So in other words there may not be enough room for him to turn. I asked him in he will manually turn him and he said no. He doesnt like to do that due to risking injury on the infant. He said that injury doesnt always occur but its easier for a Mom to heal from a section. And trust me, from what I hear I would rather have a section. Not to mention that I had a 46 hr labor with DD and do not want to go through that again. LOL. I hope that all of our babies decide what to do soon. Take care ladies. It will all work out for the best.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Ok, this might sound crazy, but I've read it in a few places, so I'll just add this in case it does in fact work--
I've seen in a few places where it suggests holding a flashlight to the top of your belly when your baby is active and moving it towards your lower abdomen to encourage them to move. Also, it says try the same thing with some music or dh's voice. I'd be really interested to know if it works. Sounds crazy to me, but I know this little guy really likes dh's voice so, who knows, worth a shot I guess...

Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

for me it is to scarey to feel the baby in my tummy but i was watching another show on deliveries (i watch alot of T.V, lol) and the midwife was feeling the baby through the belly to feel what position the baby was in and she said you can definately tell the head from the butt. she said the the head is harder than the butt is. but then again they have more experience in all this.
just thought i'd add.
robin

Old 02-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyz
Ok, this might sound crazy, but I've read it in a few places, so I'll just add this in case it does in fact work--
I've seen in a few places where it suggests holding a flashlight to the top of your belly when your baby is active and moving it towards your lower abdomen to encourage them to move.
I've heard of this also. I guess there have been studies where during an ultrasound, they put a bright light on the mothers stomach and the baby follows the light. I guess at this point nothing hurts to try! My little guy has been head down at every U/S and every prenatal but the last where he flipped the nite before. I felt it and it wasn't too pleasant! I can deffinitely tell which way he is laying though. When he was head down, you could obviously tell when he was pushing against my stomach that they were feet. Now it's easy to distinguish his hands and head now that he's in the breech position.

Has anyone here had the manual version done? I know my dr said she offers it, but would rather a cesarean. Me too! EEK that manual looks and sounds painful. And I know risks to the infant are rare, but still. I do have a very high pain tolerance, but when it comes to something like that, I tend to chicken out lol
Amy

Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

What are the risks to the baby if manually turned?

Old 02-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I'm not really sure what the risks to the infant are, although I do know that the external version has caused some woman to go into labor right away. (I was just reading on this is, it was dated 2004 so I know it's a tad bit old) but it says there is only a 65% success rate. Everything I have read only says "risks to infant" they never describe what they are. Although I'm sure if you talked to your dr he/she would be obligated to tell you everything

Old 02-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Veteran

sickofit HB User

I know what you ladies are talking about with the painful gymnastics!! My baby was sideways (traverse?) - his head was over by my left arm and his legs were over by my right arm. I could tell this just from the way I felt and the way I was feeling his or her kicks. It was confirmed by my midwife when she felt the head. Well, a few days later I was in some awful pain as my little guy was doing gymnastics - it hurt so bad it took my breath away! Then I was feeling the kicks in different places so I just knew that he/she had turned. What a weird feeling!!

Laurabelle, with my first I was scheduled for a section because he was breech for WEEKS before my due date. I opted not to do the manual turn because of the risks (althougth I don't really remember what the risks are). The day before my section he turned head down and I had him a few days later vaginally. So don't give up that he or she will turn on their own.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

Thanks sickofit. It just frustrates me because he was head down for a while and then at almost 30wks he became breech. I am pretty nervous that he won't turn head down. I really don't want a C-section. This is my first baby and I really want to go through labor and have him normal. I have had a good pregnancy so for the most part this is the only thing to make me really nervous throughout this pregnancy.

If a baby stays breech, when will they normally schedule a c-section? I'm assuming earlier than the due date, right?

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
(female)

cark HB User

EV was VERY painful for me and didnt help.. the baby stayed breech and refused to turn with the diocs help. There ARE complications with this prioceedure.. ot pleasant ones and thats besides the pain. . Then at the LAST minute.. righ tbefore I was to go in for a scheduled C section the doc did an ultrasound and she had went head down! Who says they dont have enough room to turn on their own at 9 months!

Closed Thread