It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

BsChickie HB User
Vaginal suppository to start labor?

Anyone here or anyone you know done the vaginal suppository to ripen the cervix to start labor before pitocin? I have plans to go in Monday night to get this done because my cervix is not thinning or dilating, then in the morning I am to start pitocin. But my question is, has anyone done this and has anyone gone into labor just from the suppository? I have had a couple women tell me they went into labor just from that. And if your answer is yes, was your baby low? My baby is very low already. I'm really scared about being induced, I am hoping I will go before then or at least before the Pitocin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Vaginal suppository to start labor?

hi bs
hope baby comes by himself i just wanted to say in my pg book if you are considering an epidural in your labour to get one before they start any iv to induce you as the pain goes woosh from nothing to intense. i have heard people who had the gel say it took a long time to work i know at my hospital they give you up to a max of 3 supositories 1 every6 hours before they try the iv. best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Hi. I'm going in Monday night also if I don't labor on my own by then. We have stubborn babies!

My doctor wants to start with Cytotec because they say it is most effective and works fast. I have read so many dangers about this and I told them I don't want it. They said they can do the suppositories but they don't work as well and in so many words said that I could wind up with a c-section. I am so hoping I will go on my own because I don't want to be induced either. Good luck to you, I hope you start on your own soon too!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I had the cervigel with ds 3 years ago. I had two doses - one at 5:00 p.m. and the next at around 10:00 a.m. By 2:00 p.m. I had major contractions that were ranged in time from 30-60 seconds and were anywhere from 1.5 min-5 min. apart. This lasted for another 10 hours or so and then after some demerol and a bath they dropped off to every 10 min. They didn't start the pitocin until the next day around 10:00 a.m. From there it was a nightmare for me as I didn't respond well to the drugs at all but in the end after 56 hours from the first cervigel dose I had a beautiful baby boy!!!
Good luck with it!!!

Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
(female)

BsChickie HB User

Thank you ladies for your replies. I am really getting more and more scared by the minute. We go in tomorrow already! My MIL has already come into town from another state so I feel like I can't back out now. I'm not scared of the labor Im just scared of actually having a baby! We wanted a baby but now I can't help but feel selfish and I find myself wanting more alone time. Does this selfishness go away? I know it's a little too late for these feelings!

Old 02-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

Lin35 HB User

Just wanted to let you know I know just how you feel. I was ready when my due date came and was completely chilled out about labour. But I am also now facing being induced this week and it just seems so much more medical! I'm now crapping myself about it all and don't want to have to go through it. Just yesterday I was asking my partner if he wanted to go off travelling instead of having a baby! He thought I was joking...

Just wondering if anyone has found out the best way to be induced. I also don't want the Picotin and in fact, don't know quite what the point is if I'm likely to have to have a c-section anyway. Why not just go ahead and have it? Anyone able to shed light on the different things they give you and what the risks are? I have been googling for info but now just feel quite confused.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Same here...I am so excited to get this baby out of me and start my new life with this wonderful new little person but at the same time I am scared as hell as what will happen when they hand her to me and say "go home." lol. I'm not scared of the labor...not even as scared anymore to be induced (although that will probably change when I go in this week!!), just more scared of how I will handle all the responsibility and if I will be good at being a mother. I think doubting ourselves is normal and it would be weird if we didn't as pregnant women
Lin, you are going in Monday right? Just wanted to let you and BcChickie know I have faith in you and you will do great!! I will go in hopefully Friday (I'll be exactly a week over then) if I don't go on my own. I'll just try to be tough, I know I will get through it and everything will be fine.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

BsChickie HB User

Yeah, I go in Monday night. I was so hoping something would happen before then but no luck so far. Im kinda weird, but I was really hoping for the "going into labor" experience. I really wanted that to happen. It just seems so medical and like its a health condition when you are induced or get a c-sec. I just had this dream of waking up during the night and have my water break and have to wake up my husband and say, "its time!" You know?
I have had a couple people say that the suppository was enough for them to go into labor so I'm really hoping for that since I didn't get my dream labor!
Good luck to you girls going in this week also. I'll be thinking of everyone. I'd like to hear how everything goes for all of you! Take care. Thank you for all of your encouragement these nine months, you have helped me out tremendously. It is so comforting hearing I am not the only one who worries about things. Good luck Mommies!

Closed Thread