It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

superfowell HB User
Lightbulb Can you measure how far along baby is?

Just wondering if you can measure at home how far along baby is like the doctors do. Where do you measure from and to? Just sounds like fun!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Can you measure how far along baby is?

you could try but it probably would not be accurate. you can measure from 28 weeks you measure from the top of the fundus (so you would have to know what you were feeling for) and measure down to the pubic bone. a rough estimate is you should be approx the same numbers in centimetres as you are pg in weeks. hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: Can you measure how far along baby is?

I think my Dr has been accurately measuring me since about 16 wks. You have to be lying down perfectly flat on your back with your legs out straight. Then you take the end of the measuring tape and place it at the very top of your pubic bone. Run the measuring tape up and feel for the fundus (top of your uterus). That in cm's is how many weeks you should be approximately. For my first I always measured bang on for cm's verses weeks. For this pregnancy I am 2 cm's ahead. My OB said this is normal for consecutive pregnancies though.
Good luck, finding the fundus is sometimes really hard to do unless you are a Doctor or Midwife and know exactly what you are looking for!

Closed Thread