It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

ShanaLeigh HB User
Swollen fingers

First off, congrats to all the moms to be! I am 7 months pregnant with our first child (BOY!), and as of Friday my fingers have swelled up. Does anyone else have that? My feet and ankles are absolutley fine. The only information on swollen fingers I can find is pre-eclampsia, so now I'm stressed thinking that is what I have..I have an appt on Thursday, so I'll know for sure then if it's normal or if something else is going on. If anyone esle has this, or any ideas please let me know! Thanks !

Due date:
May 25 2006!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: Swollen fingers

Having some swelling is normal, especially in fingers. I see lots of pregnant women with their wedding rings hanging around their neck because they cant get them on anymore. Im lucky and mine comes and goes.
I wouldnt be to concerned, especially this late in pregnancy we all tend to swell up a bit.
meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi shana
congrats on your pg. i am 35+4 weeks and have had swolen fingers for about 3 weeks now i also have swollen feet and calves. yes this can be a sign of pre-eclampsia which is why it is important to let your doc/midwife know. you may want to call and they may want to see you before thursday, or they may just wait till your appointment then. what they will do is check your blood pressure and urine for signs of pre-eclampsia to rule it out. remember swelling is also a normal part of pg, my fingers are so swollen it hurts at the joints to bend them, i have man's hands now lol. good luck i am sure all is well but take it easy until you know for sure

Old 02-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

Swelling in the hands is normal I havent had my wedding rings on since I have been 28 weeks I know they say in some cases swelling is brought on because of preclampsia but some swelling in pregnancy is normal as long as your monitored..

Old 02-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

My rings are getting snug now too. They are officially getting hung around the neck. My feet only swell when I've been on them for a long time.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
(female)

wendyr HB User

My fingers are a little swollen now too, I am 33.5 weeks. No swelling anywhere else. It looks to be pretty normal in pregnancy.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

ShanaLeigh HB User

Thanks for all of the replies, I feel better now. I just wish I could get my wedding ring to come of now...Now that it won't come off, I really, really want it off

Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Lots of swelling here! I have chubby sausage fingers, swollen calves, ankles and feet. My husband commented the other day how little my toes look now because my feet are so swollen. I do not have pre-eclampsia either. I was just there today and there was no protein in my urine and my blood pressure is "perfect" - his words!
It is in most cases perfectly normal. Especially in the 3rd trimester. I just started my 8th month and have been swelling like this for several weeks. I haven't been able to wear my wedding rings for a good month and a half. The last time I had them on I forced them on and literally cried while trying to take them off. I had to completely soap up my hands and work at them for a good 15 minutes before they came off. I'll tell ya, they are not going anywhere near my fingers again until a few months after I have my baby!
Suggestions to get rings off: try in the morning, not at the end of the day when the swelling is the worst. Try soap, butter, oil or hand cream. Make sure the rings are all covered and that it's between the rings and your fingers. Little by little and if it starts to hurt really bad: STOP!
Keep us posted and congrats on your pregnancy!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
(female)

pearoye68 HB User

Hi, I too am swollen at 32 wks. Will be 33 wks on Thursday. I had to give up wearing my wedding rings just yesterday. My hands feel so swollen and hurt to bend also. My feet had been swelling some around the ankles over the last month. I am also a heavy girl but so far my blood pressure has been fine. I do seem more tired this week and swelling seems to be worse in legs, and hands. I just think this is part of it at this point but rest and put your legs up. Watch your salt intake also. Drinks lots of fluids. That is what I am doing.

Closed Thread