It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

LadyLaine HB User
Measuring small, Worried Baby is Not growing properly

Hi everone. I am 31 weeks on tuesday and when I went to get my checkup this week they measured my uterus and it was only measuring 27 weeks. I am schuduled to get a ultrasound on monday to get the baby measured. They are worried that he is not growing properly.
I went through this same problem with my first pregnancy and had an endless amount of stress tests and ultrasounds to keep tabs on how she was growing. At one point they considered inducing me early, bu waited until 38 weeks. The midwife told me I should probably expect to go through the same thing this time. The only thing that worries me is if he stops growing they may induce me early and I don't want it to be to early, so that he is a preemie.
Is there something wrong with me that I can't grow a baby properly? Is it my placenta? I don't know. I just thought I had small babies, because I am small (5'1) and my husband is small (5'5). I think I have been doing everything right I've gained 19 pounds so far. The only thing that comforts me is that my daughter came ou perfect, just small 5lbs 5 oz 18 inches. She is still very small now to at 3 years 34 inches and 24 pounds.
HAs anyone else been through this too?

Lainie
EDD MAY 9 2006
DD JAn 19 2003

Old 03-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
(female)

walnutsmom HB User
Re: Measuring small, Worried Baby is Not growing properly

I hear you. Same story here. DS was induced and then delivered by C-section 3 weeks early. He weighed 6lb1oz and he had stopped growing at week 36. He had a double knot in my umbilical cord. The placenta was giving out and it was very small. They don't know if the small placenta was caused by the cord problems or if it was weak on it's own.

Regardless, they will be watching this pregnancy very closely. I am already getting an ultrasound every other week and I REALLY don't want to be induced early. I know how you feel because I also am doing everything right and don't understand why my first baby and possibly this one don't have ideal growing conditions. I am also 5'1" and I know I was born small, about 6.5 lbs at full term, but there wasn't a bad placenta or anything.

Part of me also thinks they overanalyze everything in this day and age. I'll pray for both yours and my baby to stay in and grow for a full 40 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

a colleague of mine had the same issue her first child was very small and so was her second she was just monitored regularly and her babies were fine even if small

Old 03-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I realize this is no laughing matter but I had to put my 2 cents in and say, I am measuring 2 to 3 weeks larger at 32 wks. Therefore, it seems I have a 34 to 35 wk size baby in there. Needless to say I am HUGE and sick of being so big and in so much pain. I figure if your babies are healthy when they do come out just be glad you didn't have to worry about induction or C-section because you were going to have an enormous baby!
That said, I hope and pray everything goes well and that you and baby are healthy and happy! Your daughter's story was a very positive one. I'm sure it'll be the same outcome with your ds!

Old 03-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
(female)

bev1983 HB User

when i was 34 weeks the baby measured 27 weeks and i was sent for loads of scans as they said the baby was small and would probably go to special care but when he was born he weighed 8lb 9oz and i am only 5ft 3 and a size 8how wrong were they.
i am sure everything will be fine luv bev

Old 03-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

LadyLaine HB User

Thanks everone for your replies. I got my ultrasound today. The technician measured him and he seems to be growing fine. He is smaller, but has not stopped growing and is estimated at 3 lbs. I feel much better now. He is just going to be a smaller baby, but I don't think my frame could handle a baby much bigger anyway. Took me over two hours and an episiotimy to push out the first one. I am sure he is going to be fine now, but they will still keep an eye on him to make sure he keeps growing.
Walnut, I do think they can overanalyze things and cause moms more stress then we need. I hope this baby does not have the same problems as your first, though it is probably fairly rare to get knots in the cord.
I hope everyone has great pregnancies.

Lainie
edd 5/9/06
DD 1/19/03

Closed Thread