It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Question for those with dogs who have already delivered.

This is a question for those of you with dogs who have already delivered your babies....

Did you find your dog/s acted "differently" shortly before you went into labor? My female JRT, who is normally not very cuddly, is ALL over me! She will not leave me alone. She follows me from room to room, and seeks out every opportunity to snuggle right up against me. Furthermore, she is protective of me (which she normally isn't!) toward our male JRT.

This is new behavior for her, and I'm wondering if it's a sign, like she can sense something that I can't.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran

bullun HB User
Re: Question for those with dogs who have already delivered.

Well, I have heard of dogs doing this. Some believe they have a sixth sense and can tell, and will act differently when the environment is changing. Perhaps she can sense that things are going to be changing shortly. Just be glad she's cuddly with you and not gone the opposite route and gotten aggressive or jealous acting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User

Hi there. I have 2 dogs and both of them became more protective once i was pregnant. I have heard that dogs can sniff out cancer so i would guess they should be able to stiff the hormonal changes associated with pregnancy. In my case, my little one is 10 weeks old and our dogs are much more protective of the house since she has been home.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Thanx guys! I've heard of cancer dogs. I think it's amazing. Both of my dogs are therapy dogs. I'm also an obedience trainer, and have certified both of them myself through several different agencies utilizing therapy dogs. Jealousness or aggressiveness is not something they portray, being that they work with different types of people with different illnesses on a regular basis.

Ausomom2, that's really cool about your cats!! I know when I lived back home with my mom and her three cats that they'd snuggle with you when you were sick. They knew you needed the loving. Isn't it amazing how perceptive they are.

As for Jersey sensing my labor... well, I'm not sure. I've had a few sharp/intense crap type things, but they're on my right side. We'll see!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 PM   #5

theb1971 HB User

Glad to see this question posted. My german shepherd just in the last day or so has become VERY clingy with me and she is never like this. Lately she is always either been at my feet or her head in my lap. Hubby and I were wondering the same thing if they can smell something different and delivery is soon for me. This is why I love animals so much. I just love their sensitivity.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MJCota HB User

The morning I left to go to the dr to see if my blood pressure was still high and if I was going to be induced, my dog benny whinned the whole time I was waiting for my mil to pick me up. He didn't want to me leave at all. Also my cats were all over me and blocking the door way. The day before my sister's water broke, her cat was acting crazy (more then usual for him lol). He was all over her and would follow her everywhere. I believe dogs and cats have an idea. Maybe your time is right around the cornor!

Old 03-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Well folks, there is deffinitly some truth to this! I had my last OB appointment today, and I'm 2 centimeters dilated and 50% efaced, and, when I used the bathroom on the way out I have started to loose my mucus plug (big chunk of snotty brown stuff - GROSS).

They've scheduled my inducement for Sunday... if I go that long. I've also been really crampy today with a kinda sore back. My dog was right!!

Old 03-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Aww, just one more reason for me to LOVE animals !!

Closed Thread