It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

Whoababy HB User
professional bikini wax at 38 weeks

Hello ladies,
I was wondering if any of you have given any thought to shaving or waxing down there?? I'm almost 39 weeks prego and have recently been thinking about getting a professional bikini wax for the big day. I don't want to shave because I'm afraid that when the hair grows back in it'll be ichy and I'm sure that i'll already have enough problems down there (sorry tmi). What did you all do or plan to do? Also, I've never had a bikini wax so what exactly will they do?

Is this a bad idea??

Thanks for reading.. take care

Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User
Re: professional bikini wax at 38 weeks

Ok, this is a good question! I wonder what I will do when the big day comes as well. I normally shave, but not sure I want to have lots of things going on down there after delivery. I would either say get a wax OR trim as close as possible without having to deal with the regrowth from the beginning.

I dunno.... any other suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 03:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jonanner HB User

I say if you're not shy, go for the wax. I normally shave, but I've done waxing and it's totally worth it, regrowthwise. However I have never gotten the full monty so that may be a bit painful. I found that waxing (I've only done professional) was a lot less painful than I had anticipated.

Anyway, I'm only 13 weeks and I already don't feel like shaving myself. I can't imagine what it will be like in 6 months when I can't even see or reach down there. I read that in Germany they still shave the patients at the hospital, but I don't know if it's true. I'd rather be ready when I get there.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I shaved until I gave birth, but it wasn't easy. Took some maneuvering. Honestly, it depends on what kind of birth you are having. I've never had a vaginal, but I would imagine it would be more comfortable cleaned up down their. I had a section and afterwards shaving wasn't on my mind, not that I could of done it anyway. I would like to do the wax now actually, I've never had one before. I'd say go for the wax if you can fit it in. Shaving is such a pain in the kisser.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

Laetitia HB User

How much hair are you talking about having removed? In my experience, a "bikini wax" will take care of anything that might stick out of a bathing suit, which still leaves a lot of hair on your pubic bone area and labia. If you want to be bare "down there," you'll need to go for a Brazilian wax. That will take off everything from front to back (yes, they will also wax your perineum and rectal area) and usually leave just a little bit up top.

Personally, I have hubby help out with the trimming. I used to keep myself shaved, but stopped once it got too difficult. Now, I can shave the binkini are to keep it all from getting too wild and wooly, and hubby uses the beard trimmer on everything to keep it short without being shaved. (I always leave the pubic bone area a little longer than the labia hair.)

A shave, enema, and episiotomy used to be standard procedure for many hospital deliveries, but not any more.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Trust me ladies... this will be the least of your concerns when you are on the table pushing and screaming! I always had dh keep me trimmed nice and short down there but I would never dare shave or wax. The risk of infection is increased drastically by doing this while delivering which is why they don't do it anymore. If I were you I'd keep it nice and short and maybe a bikini wax or shave to have it appear neat but leave the rest of it until after you've had babe and are recovered!
Just remember, they've seen everything so don't worry about that. Just think of your own comfort. I have tried the shaving and waxing when I'm not prego and it's brutal when growing back in! You don't need the added discomforts for really no reason at all!
Just my opinion.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I shaved through my pregnancy, I had no problems, it was hard sure, and I shaved at my 39th week and had my son at 40 wk +4days and all was well. good luck

Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User

good question
robin

Old 03-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Veteran

sickofit HB User

I've thought about both and my dh has offered to help since I can't see anything below my popped out bellybutton, but I've opted for the "screw it" option and kinda feel like jungle woman. I'll worry about it again once I'm all healed and I can see myself again.. and have the ability to lift my legs without pain. I'm kinda embarrassed to deliver now, but baby#2 is right that it will be the last thing on your mind during delivery, and I'm sure they've seen it all before!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
(female)

Laetitia HB User

I don't care whether or not they've "seen it all" - I prefer being shaved or trimmed. It just feels cleaner to me, and makes Aunt Flo (or just plain increased discharge) easier to deal with. If I'm going to be bleeding after this delivery and unable to use tampons, you can bet your @$$ that I'll be keeping myself trimmed up.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

[ REMOVED ]

My opinion is, keep it trimmed nice and short until delivery. I choose not to shave as I don't want to feel itchy and uncomfortable from that on top of having just squeezed a person out of my crotch..... just MHO.

Oh and to all the other ladies who haven't had a baby yet, for the first week or two you only have literally seconds between getting out of the shower and getting your underwear and a pad on before the flow starts going full force again so don't count on keeping anything down there shaved unless you really want a big bloody mess to have to clean up. I highly recomend the squirt bottle! It keeps you clean and it feels good on your perenium, especially if you've had an episiotomy or tear with stitches.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-29-2006 at 11:56 AM. Reason: take it to the moderators if you think someone is posting inappropriately

Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
I highly recomend the squirt bottle! It keeps you clean and it feels good on your perenium, especially if you've had an episiotomy or tear with stitches.
The squirt bottle was my best friend! I tore and had six stitches and it made the biggest difference going to the bathroom!!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Hi Ladies -- I was just tested this morning -- POSITIVE. Yay! So I figured I'd head over here from the TTC board and check it out. What an interesting conversation!

I usually use a beard trimmer set to the shortest setting. Shaving leaves too many bumps and is itchy, but with the beard trimmer it is short, easy to clean, and doesn't itch. I guess I'll probably have to have DH help me with that part as I grow bigger.

Just wanted to throw that out there... a different spin, if you will.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
(female)

LABOR HB User

i always shave and it does not itch.. i put cream on it they sell it in avon.. it really helps.. i dont get bumps either.. i read that you should use a new razor everytime you shave.. I totally agree with Laetitia when is shave is alot easier to clean and everything.. i hate having hair.. even now with all the discharge it is just not nice.. this is my first pregnancy so i really wouldnt be able to know how bad things get donw there after you have the baby..i have really never though about that i though its was like when you are in period just with stiches...

Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
Veteran

sickofit HB User

okay, so after all this talk, and a little looking around (with a mirror because I'm huge) I decided to change my "screw it" opinion to a definite "trim it" opinion. I used a chair, full length mirror and my husband's clippers and trimmed... and I definitely do feel better.

Closed Thread