It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

marie81 HB User
Huge baby

I went in for a growth u/s yesterday. I am 32wks 3d. The baby was measuring over all 35wks 5d. His legs measured 36wks 4d. His estimated weight was 5lbs 11oz. The tech told us that the baby was really, really long. Now I'm freaking out. I have GD but it has been pretty well controlled. Could that be the cause? I know it can make the baby have more fat, but I wasn't sure about his length. I'm scared that he's gonna have to come before he is ready because of his size. I feel so guilty. Maybe if I had been better about the diet, he wouldn't be so big. I don't see my OB until Tuesday. I know he's gonna freak out because he was getting concerned when the baby was 2wks ahead.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: Huge baby

marie ~ oh boy, I think I will be joining you soon with this problem. It's not his length I don't think, it's just his overall size. I am going tomorrow for a growth u/s to see how big he is. I am 35wks today and measuring over 37 based on fundal height. I am hoping and praying he's not enormous because I really want to deliver vaginally again. My first was 9lbs 6ozs but I also went almost 2 weeks over!
Don't feel guilty!!! GD can cause an increase in weight but length is genetic! Are you and/or dh tall? Anyone else in your family born really long? Don't worry about length too much! It's the over all plumpness of the baby that makes it more difficult for them to come out!
I will let you know how big my beanie is appearing tomorrow and we can freak out together!
P.S. - my OB said babies measuring 2 wks behind or ahead (based on fundal height) is perfectly normal and healthy and nothing to worry about. It's when the numbers get higher or lower that they start to get concerned. I guess all OB's are different! Just thought I would give you a different medical opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

marie81 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I think my hormones have taken over today lol. DH and I were both really big babies. I'm really hoping that I can avoid a c-section. Good luck on your u/s tomorrow. Don't forget to let me know how it goes!!!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Sometimes you can control how big your baby is and if you have big babies on your mothers side you probably will too. Im in the same boat that you are and mine is measuring four weeks bigger and I dont have GD. We are just going to watch it and I will probably be induced april 5th during my 38th week to prevent a nine pounder, I really dont want to do that again.
meg

Old 03-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Rounsy - you are lucky your Doc is willing to do that! My OB refuses to induce until the 41st week because induction before that drastically increases the need for a C-section. He said there is no telling how big or small the baby really is until it's born! Also, he said I had a 9lb 6ozs baby the first time so he doesn't see a problem with me delivering an 11 lb baby! Ya, he's not the one that has to squeeze the watermelon out of a grape sized hole!!! lol.
I am only 5'3" and was 105lbs soaking wet when I met my dh 7 years ago. You can imagine the shock everyone was in when we announced the size of our "big" boy less than 2 years ago!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

Safc-Chick HB User

try not to worry about it, I've had 2 babys and both were supposed to be huge so they kept telling me they both came at 39+ wks normal deliverys no induction or anything and my first weighed 8lb and my 2nd weighed 8lb 10oz. I know they were'nt small but the way they were talking I was expecting 10lb ers . I am dreading having this one though cause I'm only 19 wks and I've gone up nearly 2 dress sizes already.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Hello. I see a high-risk doc who does really extensive u/s. My last one I was 29 weeks but my baby was measuring 32 weeks along, at about 3.9 pounds. He also said that she is really long too, I think the length was in the about 33 weeks (96th percentile!). I don't have gd but my husband and I are really tall (5' 10" and 6'). He said any measurement within the 3 week range is normal, not to worry, and to be happy she was long, that it is easier to deliver a tall, 8pounder as opposed to a short one. Dont worry.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Ditto here! I get an ultra sound on April 5th. I'm measuring big but don't know how big yet. My mom had smaller babies (we were all early) and none of my nieces or nephews were huge (just average), so this is a shock! I don't have GD but I was overweight before getting pregnant and only gained 5 lbs in my whole pregnancy. I eat healthy, but I also eat whatever I want to (cookies, etc... shame shame)..so I hope that's not the cause. I've just been following my cravings and also including fruits and veggies, of course!!! It might just be
her European genes from daddy. Maybe she's tall!

Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Ok, ladies. I just posted a thread regarding this but my not so little guy is measuring to be about 8lbs already! At 35 weeks with 5 or more to go, we're talking a good 11 lb baby or more......
I guess we'll have to wait and see how big he really is, and how he gets outta there!
Any birth plan I may have had is probably a no go for sure now....

Old 03-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
(female)

marie81 HB User

I don't feel so bad knowing that people without GD are having the same problem. Last time I seen my ob she was talking about inducing between 37 and 39wks depending on the size of the baby and my crazy bp.

baby - WOW!!! He is gonna be a big boy if that estimation is right.

Closed Thread