It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

expectant HB User
to anyone who has a c section before

Hello i am scheduled for a c section as my little man is breech and HUGE and i am getting nervous now!!! I am booked in for the 10th april but want to know from anyone that has had one the following:

- do they dope you out a bit BEFORE they give you an epidural?As i will be very nervous going in
- What happens if you move a bit while they are doing the op???? I thought an epidural numbed you but you could still move?
- what is the diff between a spinal block and an epidural or are they the same?
- Also i am measuring 40 weeks NOW (according to wed scan) so does that mean they might bring the c section forward???I thought they did c sections earlier than your due date so you didnt go into labour?

Sorry i will ask my doc on tuesday but i am too nervous to wait till then

Thanks for any input

Old 03-24-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User
Re: to anyone who has a c section before

My c-section was an emergency one due to fetal distress so I only had about 10 minutes to think about it, I already had an epidural and they just changed the meds in it on the way back to the OR.

- do they dope you out a bit BEFORE they give you an epidural? They didn't with me, but I was in so much pain and had been for 3 days that I didn't care. It didn't hurt at all and DH was there holding me when they did it.
- What happens if you move a bit while they are doing the op? I couldn't move. I was numb from my boobs all the way down to my toes.
- what is the diff between a spinal block and an epidural or are they the same? Not quite sure, but my guess would be the meds.
- Also i am measuring 40 weeks NOW (according to wed scan) so does that mean they might bring the c section forward???I thought they did c sections earlier than your due date so you didnt go into labour? Not sure about this one, I was already in labour when they decided to do mine.Your Dr may change the date due to signs like dialation and such. If you go into labour they will just take you back for the c-section when you get there.

Good luck. I found that the c-section wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. My little one made it safe and sound and that was the only thing I cared about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

legirl HB User

Hi Gel2005,

There is a woman on the TTC board that has been trying to conceive for quite some time. She even recently posted that she is expecting her menstrual cycle on 3/30. You wouldn't happen to be that person would you? How can you be measuring 40 weeks now on this board and TTC on another board at the same time?

Keep it real.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

My C-section was an emergency section as well. My little one was in distress as she was too big, and never dropped at all, even at 9 cm dilated! The doctors later told me it was her positioning, she had her head sideways and would not turn.

They never doped me out before hand, but again, I was already in active labor, and I had the laughing gas and the pain shot in the hip (sorry I do not know to correct name for it ). It really isn't that bad though. IF you are going to be really nervous about it though, I can not see why they can not give you a slight sedative to relax you a bit. Just ask your doctor BEFORE you go in, as it can get to be quite hectic once in.

I could not move during the op. I was dead from the chest down, and the strapped my arms to the table and covered me in plastic to keep me warm. You are awake, but very dopey because of the meds they put in the IV. The only thing I felt was some pulling and pressure sensations, but again I could not move.

I do not know the difference between a spinal block and an epidural. I would think as the previous poster said, it is the meds used.

If you go into to labor before your scheduled section date, then they will perform the section when you arrive at the hospital. It will be a little more hectic, but should not be a problem.

It is a very nerve wrecking ordeal, but the thought and anticipation is the worst part. I actually jumped while the were doing the epidural, which you're not supposed to move for, but they didn't warn me of what they were doing. (as if I didn't know ). But it was super hectic, and I was at this point in alot of pain. The section itself is not as bad as it sounds. As I said, I did not feel anything but a little tugging and pressure, and before I knew it my daughter was out. Just ask that the anesthesiologist be close by, (and they usually are) as the IV meds made me super nauseous, so he had to quickly combat that so I didn't get sick.

Good Luck. And again, it is really not as bad as one would suspect. And the end result is more than worth it .

Congratualtions

Last edited by Angela22F; 03-24-2006 at 06:22 AM.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gel2005 HB User

lawyergirl - That was my first pregancy. I am TTC#2, in my 5th month actually.

Last edited by gel2005; 03-24-2006 at 06:20 AM.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

The spinal block is local and there is no needle or cather left in you whereas an epidural after the needles are inserted they will slide in a catheder so they can administer more medicine to you at any time.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
(female)

mrzshorty HB User

My first c-section was an emergency one, so at the point of delivery I just wanted my daughter out...18 hours of labor before hand. With my second daughter it was planned and I was really nervous, I even asked my doc if they gave you anything to calm you down and she said no. When the time came and I was in the operating room, I was a mess, high heartbeat, crying, etc. But after they gave me my spinal, I realized I was trippin, everything went fine and I was then relaxed and about 5 min later I saw my baby. I can try and say that this time around that I wont be scared but we will see when the time comes. I do know that I wont be as scared cause it really was not as bad as I had thought. I can try and tell you not to be scared, but that will be hard for you, I know. But once you get that spinal, you will say the same thing...good luck. Try not to sike yourself out, it was horrible and I amnot doing it this time when I have my c-section.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi expectant
i had an urgent c section and was bricking myself as it was a snap decision to do it and dh was stuck in traffic trying to reach me in time. the staff in theatre were great and were really supportive they even laughed at my humor i was trying to use so i would not focus on my worries about ds safety (he was very distressed). i honestly can say i sat still fine having the spinal block and it did not really hurt the worst bit was the cold stuff they wiped my back down with. the difference between a spinal block and an epidural i believe is the drugs go into a certain part of the sheath surrounding the spine with a spinal block which makes it work almost instantly which is why it is used in real emergencies but the epidural takes up to 30 minutes to work or so iunderstand is the case. i healed really well after the operation and had no pain at all and no problems from the spinal block at all and i had very little bleeding after the section either. plus as a bonus no tears pain or stitches required and i have already resumed my sex life tmi. wishing you the best of luck i hope this helps you out

Old 03-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
(female)

expectant HB User

Thank you ladies for your responses

I am still nervous but your comments have helped me relax a little.....

I will keep you all posted as to how it goes.

Laura

Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Hi Expectant.. I know I'm posting a little late but I also had an emergency section on the 16th of March. I was SO scared and I couldn't stop my body from shaking. The spinal wasn't bad, like someone else posted the worst part was the cold stuff they washed my back with. After that, I was nervous because I felt my legs go to sleep, but I thought I could still feel from my hips up. They layed me down because, no you can't move ANYTHING but your arms. At first that scared me, then it actually calmed me because I knew I couldn't jump or anything to ruin the surgery (stupid I know).. They gave me oxygen and strapped my arms down, then I felt them start rubbing my stomach. The feeling is very hard to describe. Almost like when you let your foot fall asleep and you get that slight numb tingling feeling. Then my dr asked if I was ok and felt any pain and I said no. Then one of the assisting dr's said I was going to feel alot of tugging. I didn't even know they had started yet! Maybe a minute later (he was pretty stuck in there, up very high and had the cord wrapped around his neck pretty good) I heard him cry and they showed him to me quick over the sheet. That I think was the worst part of everything. Laying there, hearing my baby and hearing my husband talking to the baby, and me stuck on the table while they were closing me up. I kicked myself in the butt after for how scared I made myself. It was so easy! That I think would be my biggest advice, try not to go into it scared (I know easier said that done..).. I would do it all again in a second.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
(female)

expectant HB User

Thanks soontobemummy - i didnt realise they strapped your arms to the table!!! ergghhhhh that bit sounds awful!!! So do they insert the catheter before or after the epidural??? and do you feel the catheter going in?????

Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

they strap your arms because you have iv's in them and you don't want to move them to cause you to turn the top part of you body. you will only by number from your belly down.
i was stressed out about the cath but the nurse did such a good job that i was still freaking out when she told me it was already it. and trust me... once it's over you will be sad to have them pull it out the next day - i was so scared to go to the bathroom on my own.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

DH- I also was scared to heck about the catheter being placed. But I honestly barely felt anything at all. And you are so right about not wanting it out. I begged my nurse to leave it in a little longer. She laughed at me LOL...

They don't tie your arms down tight. With my it just felt like they put a towel over my wrists. I was told my the person doing it that they tie them down because you don't want to be moving your arms around during the surgery. Seems like everything your body does uses a part of your ab muscles I know you can request that they do the catheter after the epi or spinal, but they couldn't for me since mine was an emergency section.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

they never touched my arms. or at least i don't recall that they did mind you my mind was in a crazy spin at how urgently things happened so who knows

Old 03-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Valo99 HB User

You could feel them sewing you back up!!

Ok now I am scared again.

Closed Thread