It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
I have some questions about swelling

o.k. I have noticed that my face is a little puffy and my rings are snug, I went to the doc tues. My b.p was boarderline not high. I have checked it frequently and it pretty much stays at like 122/80 sometimes a tad higher or lower. My urine was fine. is it normal to have a little swelling, it isn't major. I would appreciate any input.
thanks
carly

Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: I have some questions about swelling

Yes, Yes, Yes. Swelling is so normal that most people just consider it a part of pregnancy!! I know a few girls who still can't get their rings on and they are a few months post-partem!!

Sometimes we are given TOO much information about these things. Pre-Eclampsia/Toxemia is not real common. I think it's like 10% of pregnant women. That means you have a 90% chance of not getting it. 90%!!!!

Your doctor will pick up on signs of it w/ the protein checks & BP checks. However, if you SUDDENLY swell up and gain like 5 pounds in a day or two and your face looks weird from all the swelling or your fingers SUDDENLY look like sausages, THEN you should run in for a check. The key is suddenly and often times the swelling associated w/ toxemia is called pitted (I think)... which means you can push on it and the indention your finger makes stays in your skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran

sickofit HB User

I just wanted to jump in here and let you know that I'm freakishly swollen and my midwife is not concerned at all! My bp and urine have been fine at every appointment, but I really am swollen. My face is very puffy and I had to use a ton of crisco to get my wedding rings off the other day and actually cut my knuckle in the process. My ankles look as though they belong to an elephant and behind my knees are puffy as well. I worry about preeclampsia as well, but I've been perfectly healthy throughout this whole pregnancy regarding bp, urine, gd, etc... I didn't swell at all with my first, so I guess it's true that every pregnancy is different. Also just wanted to mention that I can press on my ankles and legs and leave "holes" that will eventually fill back in with water and they still tell me that's normal. Hang in there. I suggest taking off your rings though!!! Don't want anyone to go through what I did!!!

Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

I am 37 weeks today and am super swollen too. I normally gain a pound a week but last week I gained 8. So Im assuming its pretty much all the water Ive been holding onto. My feet, hands and face are really puffy. I remember it happened with my daughter too and it took about a week after she was born for it to be back to normal.
Meg

Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I also have really bad swelling and it's just getting worse! I can see it all over my entire body. I noticed two days ago that my nose is starting to puff out as well. I can also press on my calves or ankles and leave deep trench like holes that eventually puff back up. I had this with my first as well so I am not alarmed. My b/p is always around 110/60 or something like that/ Doc always says it's perfect and I have had NO traces of protein in my urine at all. Oh, and I'm only 35.3wks along! Imagine how bad it'll be by the time I deliver!!! I've gained 32lbs so far and when I swell like this I put on like 3 or 4 lbs a week. Let's see.... hum..... that means my weight gain will be about 50lbs or more! Can't wait.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
I've gained 32lbs so far and when I swell like this I put on like 3 or 4 lbs a week. Let's see.... hum..... that means my weight gain will be about 50lbs or more! Can't wait.
Ive only gained 14 total which is crazy considering my daughter I gained 60 I had prepared myself for atleast 40. So Im doing good, isnt this your second pregnancy, how much did you gain your first?

Meg.......
ok anyday now little boy mommy is really sore and tired!!!! Due April 16th

Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sara20 HB User

I actually have a similar question, just in a different aspect i guess...i am 23 weeks pregnant, i had a doc. appt. tuesday and he asked if i had any swelling anywhere and i said no. he had a real confused look on his face like "thats not normal" he didnt say anything though..then he measured my stomach and said i was pretty much normal but for 23 weeks i wasnt that big...so i was wondering when did everyone experience swelling or when did your bellies get very noticable?? i can tell with mine pretty good, ive gained 15 lbs so far..am i on track with the weight gain??

Old 03-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Thanks ladies! I am a couple days away from 38 weeks, I have never really had the swelling so I was a little concerned. my b.p still gets a bit high but it is not in the BAD range, I see my doc tomorrow. My feet are o.k but I guess I should take my toe rings off huh? I just look puffy in my face and my hands/fingers are swollen. I am soooo ready. I have gained about 28 pounds so I guess that is good.
sara-my belly didn't really show till I was about 30 weeks, I was little before then, now I am big! don't worry it comes! I was worried my baby was small, I had a little sneak peak at a 3-d u/s yesterday(my friend does non diagnostic ones) she has belly rolls!! I didn't start to swell till now 37 1/2 weeks!
carly

Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Sara - you are doing just fine! I don't know why some Doctor's make such a big deal out of nothing while others just ignore the big, important stuff?? It kind of ticks me off. You are perfectly normal as some women don't swell at all and/or barely gain any weight at all. Don't worry about a thing!!
Rounsy - Yes, this is my second baby. I was doing really well with the weight up until about 4 weeks ago. I was sitting at 21lbs and only gaining a pound every two weeks and then suddenly with the swelling it was like... boom! Packing them on now!
By this time with my first I had gained about 55lbs and in total gained 70lbs approx. So I guess 32 as compared to 55 is much better. The thing is that once I had ds I lost 40lbs in the first few weeks (water retention). I hope I do the same with this one! I know I gained more FAT with my first than I have so far with this one but I still don't like watching the darn scale go up and up and up!

Old 03-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara20
I actually have a similar question, just in a different aspect i guess...i am 23 weeks pregnant, i had a doc. appt. tuesday and he asked if i had any swelling anywhere and i said no. he had a real confused look on his face like "thats not normal" he didnt say anything though..then he measured my stomach and said i was pretty much normal but for 23 weeks i wasnt that big...so i was wondering when did everyone experience swelling or when did your bellies get very noticable?? i can tell with mine pretty good, ive gained 15 lbs so far..am i on track with the weight gain??
Everyone is differant regarding weight gain and swelling, I just started my swelling issue and as for weight gain, I only started gaining weight at about 25 weeks. I dont know why he would say its not normal to not have any swelling, I wouldnt consider it normal to have it so early on.
On the tummy issue I really didnt get my big tummy till probably around 28 weeks I actually am measuring normal for my bellie but my little man is about four weeks ahead so I guess I can just pack them in there. On the weight issue its up to you and your doc what you should expect for a weight gain. My doc says 30 pounds for me but I doubt I will hit it. I wouldnt worry so much about weight gain just eat reasonably and healthy, enjoy your snacks too. Every woman is differant some will gain 60 and some will gain nothing. So far ive gained 14 pounds and only have three weeks left.
Meg

Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby#2
I've gained 32lbs so far and when I swell like this I put on like 3 or 4 lbs a week. Let's see.... hum..... that means my weight gain will be about 50lbs or more! Can't wait.
I think I'm due a day or two after you and I've gained 52lbs! I've been putting on 2-3lbs per week with this water retention!!!

Closed Thread