It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User
Tear/epesiotomy stitches.

How long does it take for tear/epesiotomy stitches to start absorbing or coming out?

I was told they would be absorbed into the skin, but this morning I noticed a piece of stitch about a half inch long (two small knots) that came loose. I was wondering if, at 5 days post partum, my stitches are starting to come out? I did roll over in bed last night and it felt like I moved the wrong way, because YOWCH did it hurt.

I have to call in the morning to make my 4 week appointment so I'll ask if I need to go in sooner, but I'm wondering if I really did tear a piece out, or if this is normal. I thought that if they're the absorbing type that they wouldn't fall out.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User
Re: Tear/epesiotomy stitches.

Hi North ~ I had the absorbing kind as well and noticed fairly early on and for many days after that pieces of my stitches were falling off.
I'm willing to bet you are okay but if you start to feel ill you may want to call your Doctor and make sure it's not infected. I remember thinking the exact same thing!
What degree was your tear? Do you know how many stitches you needed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Not that I'm trying to compare you to my cat, but... when she was spade the vet gave her self-absorbing stictches. About a week later I noticed the same thing -- a few stiches hanging down. I called the vet and she told me not to worry about it, either leave 'em be or snip them off myself. She said it was totally normal. I assume that these are the same type of product...

Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Actually, yesterday I was 6 days post partum, not 5. It makes me a feel a little better. Almost a week with the stitches is pretty good.

I also go a mirror out this morning ( ) and tried to take a look. I can't even see stitches they're so good. My husband and my mother (a doctor and a nurse) said it's comon for the end stitch to come out first, and this did have two knots in it.... so who knows.

My tear was a third degree tear. I can't remember how many stitches were in there, but I tore up, down and sideways, and had a little bit on the inside. It was pretty bad. It took them over an hour to stitch me up.

But on the bright side, I'm not very sore today, and I'm finding that I don't need my tylenol 3's nearly as much as when I first came home.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
(female)

baby#1 HB User
Smile Re: Tear/epesiotomy stitches.

Hey - thought I would drop a line too. My first baby is now 6 weeks old. I had a rough time. 49 hrs labour and severe tear/epesiotomy. I had numerous stitches outside and inside. I didn't have any come out though. They got white bumps on them and then were gone. I just now am feeling like myself. It takes a while to get better! Wish you the best.

Closed Thread