It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

81BABY HB User
Question Cheap Pregnancy Test

I have been trying to get pregnant since Feb. and been using pregnancy Test (the name brand ones). When I started using the test they were always negative. Today i bought a cheap p/t cause i was gettig bad cramps and had sore breast. I'm suppose to start my period tomorrow, but wanted to know if i was pregnant and bought a cheap one and within seconds it was positive. I just want to know if they are just as good as the name brand ones and if I really am pregnant .

Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Re: Cheap Pregnancy Test

I really don't think price has anything at all to do with it. Generic brands work just the same as the name brands. The important thing is at what levels they start detecting hcg. Some are more sensitive than others. Check the packaging and instructions; it should say somewhere at what levels it detects hcg. If you can't find it, there are a few websites that list brands (including generics) and what levels they detect at; you could also call the number provided for the company and ask. But I would say that you are pregnant; false positives are pretty darn rare. If it makes you feel better, wait a couple of days and buy one of the name brands and test again; since your hcg levels double every so often, even ones that only pick up higher levels should have no problem picking it up then.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #3
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

I would consider it a positive, what stace said about the levels is correct, it doesnt matter how much you pay just when it detects certain levels. Maybe call your doc and see if you can just go in for a blood test and have them call you with the results.
Meg

Old 03-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Price doesn't matter. The price is all in the marketing and packaging anyway. The only thing you get with more expensive tests is a more convenient method of collecting the urine (pee on a stick instead of in a cup).

As for the blood test -- I was so anxious that I called my OB, my family doc, the hospital's urgent care, the health dept. and several walk in clinics before I found one that would give the results the same day. Of course, it wasn't a quantitative test (one that tells you exactly how much HCG is in your blood) but was a qualitative (yes or no only) one, which was all I needed. So, make sure you know what you are getting when you go for a blood test -- who wants to wait 2 or 3 days for the results?? Not me!

And Congratulations!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
(female)

LABOR HB User

yes i agree the price does not matter.. when i found out i was preg it was with a $1.00 pregnancy test.. yeah so i bought three more and they all came back positive.. so you are pregnant

congratulations....

Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
(female)

sandra2005 HB User

i dont think price has anything to do with it, a positive is a positive! but you are obviousley unsure so i would just go out and buy one of the more known tests and see what it says.
then if you get another negative go to the doctor to have it confirmed and to take your vitimans and get advice..
good luck

Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle
Price doesn't matter. The price is all in the marketing and packaging anyway. The only thing you get with more expensive tests is a more convenient method of collecting the urine (pee on a stick instead of in a cup).

As for the blood test -- I was so anxious that I called my OB, my family doc, the hospital's urgent care, the health dept. and several walk in clinics before I found one that would give the results the same day. Of course, it wasn't a quantitative test (one that tells you exactly how much HCG is in your blood) but was a qualitative (yes or no only) one, which was all I needed. So, make sure you know what you are getting when you go for a blood test -- who wants to wait 2 or 3 days for the results?? Not me!

And Congratulations!!!
Thats wierd Ive never had to wait for more than 20 minutes for my blood tests....... I never knew anyone had to wait so long.
Meg

Closed Thread