It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

PrasannaS HB User
Drinking Tea/Coffee?

I am due on 11/27, just got a BFP. Not sure if there is a list of common dos and don'ts during pregnancy, so I am posting this one.

I drink tea and coffee and I am feeling sleepy (now that I am not allowed to drink caffeine). Is it okay to drink one cup a day during pregnancy? There are different views expressed on the internet though. My interpreattion is that a cup or 2 is okay and cannot do any harm.

It'll be great to get additional inputs from you ladies

Old 03-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User
Re: Drinking Tea/Coffee?

I can say that I have drank caffiene throughout my entire pregnancy so far, and still am going to up until I deliver and it has not affected ds at all. I believe it's like 2cups of coffee that you can have. I guess I'm kinda one of them that didn't ever follow anything because I drank more than that and had at least 2 or more sodas a day. My caffiene intake is down though from when I first became pregnant. It's pretty much just something to keep in moderation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

\m/Slayer\m/ HB User

Hi. I am 7 weeks prego and I am also trying to figure all the do's and don'ts of pregnancy..i gotta tell you it's quite a process! But I may be able to help a little with your caffeine question. I ask my doc specifically about this and she allowed only one cup of caffeine a day. My cousin has a baby that will be one in May and she told me that she didn't know anything about the "no caffeine" rule during her pregnancy so she went about her caffeine rituals as normal and when her baby was born he had a bad case of acid reflux from the pop she drank. So i'm not sure if you just get that from pop (or soda..depending where your from because of all the carbon or what it was. But for all it's worth my doc says one cup a day.
Hope that helped and didn't make you have to wonder more..thats all we need

Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I am 35.4wks prego and have been drinking caffinated coffee pretty much every day or every other day since day one. I usually limit myself to 2 cups but I refused to give up my one vice that helped me through the day! Also, I have been told by my Doc it's fine and read many times on the net that even up to 4 or 5 cups is okay??? I wouldn't have that much, I guess the theory is all in moderation!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

Yep, 4 cups is what I heard this very evening when I went to my first birthing class. But she didn't say whether that was coffe, or soda, or a combination. Since a can (8 oz) of soda has roughly 35-45mg of caffeine, and a cup (roughly 6oz) has about 110mg - well, you can see the difference.

Me I've stayed away from caffeine for the first 6 months. I've only just introduced caffeine back into my diet. But it's out of necessity. Can't find non-caffienated drinks in take-out joints, and I can no longer have the juice or sugared sodas (I'm gestational diebetic). But I'm told it's okay. Moderation is the key to everything! Remember, a Big Gulp of diet coke has the same, if not more, caffiene as a small cup of coffee!

So many no-no's when we get pregnant.

Closed Thread