It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

walnutsmom HB User
32 Weeks-Low Amniotic Fluid

Hey Guys

I went in for my pre-emptive ultrasound last week and it showed that for the first time in this pregnancy I did, in fact, have low amniotic fluid. My OB had been watching me as I had low fluid with my DS and ended up having to have an emergency c-section at 37 weeks when the fluid had gone down to a 3cm. It turned out that he also had a double knot in his umbilical cord and my placenta was giving out. So we all thought, and hoped, that the problems were unique to that pregnancy.

My OB had me scheduled for ultrasounds just to measure the fluid starting a month ago, and everything had looked good until last week. My fluid was at 8cm (normal is 14 - 20). Anything below 5cm and you are admitted to the hospital. So I am now on modified home bed rest and drinking lots of water. I desperately hope that I am able to stabilize the levels. By the end of the week last week, I had gone up to a 10cm just from decreasing activity and pounding water--which is great! But I know how quickly they can drop again so I am cautiously optimistic.

I want to take this baby to at least 38 weeks so please think good thoughts for me.

Anyone else gone through this? Anyone able to raise their levels and go full term? I was reading online that some midwives think that being in a deep pool of water for 20 minutes can help boost amniotic fluid levels so I asked my doc if that was okay and she said sure. I went in a pool for the first time today so I will see tomorrow if it had any effect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
(female)

MoralyChallengd HB User
Re: 32 Weeks-Low Amniotic Fluid

My friend recently had her firstchild and had a scheduled c section due to low amniotic fluid. The doctor said they were to prepare for an early birth and she was ordered to lay in bed as much as possible for the remainder of her pregnancy. She also took a sht of steroids every day to help the babys lungs develope faster in order to ready itself for the early birth. She was scheduled a month early c section from the due date but it ended up being two months early. My friend had a girl, Arianna, and she has been in an incubator for a week so far for difficulty breathing but they said everything was going to be fineonce she developes alittle more. Appearantly low amniotic fluid isnt THAT uncommon and I wish you luck with your baby and perhaps ask about the steroids, as a precaution to an early birth

Closed Thread