It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mommawannabee HB User
Smile When did everyone start taking preparation classes?

HI! I'm 19 weeks and 2 days today and was just wondering when everyone started taking educational classes for birth and labor, newborn care..etc.

I'm thinking that at my next OB appt next week, my OB will tell me that I should probably start looking into getting signed up!

Thanks for your feedback!
Lisa

Old 03-28-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
(female)

rounsy222 HB User
Re: When did everyone start taking preparation classes?

They usually want you to be done atleast six weeks before you due date. So call the hospital you will be delivering at and they should have all the info for you. I took mine alittle early because I didnt want to be really fat and pregnant at them, but that was just me.
Meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

I was 29 weeks when we started and finished when I was 34 wks. We took the 2 hours, once a week for 6 week classes. This was easier for us than the all day class. It gave us something to look forward to each week that focused on the baby and our new roles as parents. Some women there were 38 and 39 wks before it was over where as some of them weren't even showing yet. It all depends on your personal preference and class availability. We are almost 36 wks prego with our second now and we felt we didn't need a refresher since it hasn't even been 2 years since we took the prenatal classes!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mommawannabee HB User

LOL thanks Meg! I will ask my OB about it next week.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mommawannabee HB User

thanks baby#2!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Baby#2,
Since this is my second I wasnt thinking about taking them till my hubby asked when we were starting them. He was really excited, it was his first. And we all know my first was 11 years ago so I actually learned alot, I had thought oh what could really have changed. Boy was I in for a treat, You mean I can have no pain if I want!!! WHAT!!!
Well I kinda knew that but I truely recomend them for someone who has not giving birth for atleast five years.
Meg

Old 03-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We skipped classes. We talked to other people who went thru it and indicated it wasn't very worthwhile and I really wasn't all that thrilled about going either.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Dh and I are taking the 1-day class in April- I'll be 33 weeks along. I'm also taking the breastfeeding class a few days later. Hopefully, we'll get something out of these for $50.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

Mine was free due to my HMO insurance. I started last night and I'm 28 weeks along.
It's a six week class. And the info that we're getting is really great. In the first meeting we learned basic anatomy, what to expect during labor, what a Braxton Hicks contraction is and what it feels like. What the first signs of true labor are, what thinning (effacing) really is and how big 10cm is! All of it was great info. In the 6 weeks we'll get breastfeeding info (the why's, how's, why they don't latch, how to latch, etc), breathing and relaxing classes, tours of the hospital, preregistration at the hospital and more. So far I really happy I'm doing this. This is my first baby.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mommawannabee HB User

Thanks again everyone!

Closed Thread