It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
Quad-Screen Testing / YES OR NO? Advice

The triple screen has now been changed to a quad screen as my ob/gyn informed me. I did not have the triple screen w/ my daughter and I'm happy to say she's healthy and happy. Now with my 2nd the nurses and doctor seem to be pushing it more. I agreed to take it but have recently decided it may be best not to. God forbid I received a positive result, I know I'd be sent for an amnio. And amnio's are said to cause miscarriages. I'm not sure I want to risk all this for a false positive which is said to occur quite often.

Anyone else feel similar to myself? Anyone who feels the test is a good thing? I'd appreciate any and all advice on this subject.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

polbilly HB User
Re: Quad-Screen Testing / YES OR NO? Advice

i just gave birth and i decided against it there is a 90% false positive and if you going to keep the pregnancy regardless of the results what is the purpose of worring yourself? im thinking was to enjoy my pregnancy i would love the child any way it was born
Jackson James born March 8th 2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

marie81 HB User

I decided against it also. I am such a huge worrier so I really didn't want to risk getting a false positive. Don't let yourself be pushed into anything that you are not comfortable with. Good luck!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

I think you need to weigh your probabilities. Are you older, heavier, have a history of issues, etc. I went for a nuchal screening test (I'm over 35) first and liked the results. My odds without the test for Downs was HIGH, and also for Trisomy 18. Too close not to take the tests. So when my results came back good, I felt better. I still had to take the blood tests. Those didn't come back as well. Too close for me. So I stopped there and went for the amnio. I chose the same woman who did my nuchal. And expert in the field and someone who does about 15 amnio's a month! (you shouldn't go to anyone who doesn't do at least 30 a year. But the more, the better. Find out if they've ever had someone miscarry). I was petrified as I DID have an earlier miscarriage. But to know my baby is healthy (not just Downs, but several other factors!!!) was peace of mind I just couldn't pay enough for. The amnio was easy and I didn't have a single complication and had no discomfort after as described to me. I account that to my doc who did it! the probability of having a miscarriage from an amnio is very very low. But it is there.

ie. An amnio will discover nueral tube defects that affect the birth of your child. It can be corrected after birth, but you DON'T want to vaginally deliver a baby with it.

There are too many things that are determined with an amnio. But only if you are at a high enough risk to warrant having one. Again, for me it was my age. You may be completley different. Do some research before passing it all up. There are things that can be prepared for when you know ahead of time.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

After reading all of your responses I have decided to pass on the quad screen. I am 27 years old. I had my daughter in Jan. of 2005 and all went well besides for high blodd pressure during the pregnancy. I plan on keeping the child either way of course. So I am not going to worry myself.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

I got a huge packet of stuff in the mail yesterday from Blue Cross and one was a 2 page article about this test from the March of Dimes.

It says:

" Does an abnormal test result mean the baby has a birth defect?"

"No. This test cannot diagnose a birth defect, it can only indicate an increased risk. An abnormal test result simply means that additional testing is needed. Out of every 1,000 women who take the triple screen test, up to 100 will have an abnormal result. However, only 2 or 3 of those 100 will have a fetus with a birth defect.

For most of the rest, the abnormal test result simply indicates that the fetus is either a few weeks older or younger than originally thought. Because the range of normal results varies with the weeks of pregnancy, it is very important to know the accurate gestational age of the fetus. The gestational age of the fetus should be confirmed by ultrasound if there is any question about it. Another common cause for an abnormal test result is a multiple pregnancy (twins, triplets, etc.)

Pregnant wome who do not understand that most women with abnormal test results have healthy babies may experience much unnecessary anxiety."

"What are the benefits of the triple screen test?"

"For the great majority of women, the screening test provides reassurance that their fetus does not appear to have certain serious birth defects. Test results also can help a woman manager her pregnancy more effectively. For example, finding the correct gestational age helps determine whether the fetus is growing at a normal rate. And detecting a multiple pregnancy allows for special care.

When a neural tube defect or other problems are diagnosed or suspected, a couple can discuss all of their options with their health care provider. They can plan for delivery in a specially equipped medical center so that the baby can have any surgery or treatment required soon after the birth....

In some cases, there is no clear-cut explanation for an abnormal result. Abnormal results have been linked with pregnancy problems such as placental abruption (in which the placenta peels away from the uterine wall before delivering), preterm labor, low birthweight, and fetal or infant death. If a woman has an unexplained abnormal triple screen result, her health care provider may monitor her carefully in the last trimester of pregnancy. She may need more frequent prenatal visits and various tests of fetal well-being, such as ultrasound."

I personally think that this article makes a good case for having the test, mainly due to the need for increased monitoring and for making sure you are in an appropriate care center. For me, I live in a more rural area. While there are 2 hospitals here and 1 has an NICU, the nearest Level 1 NICU is 2 hours away in Pensacola. If there was something wrong I would want to make sure to be in Pensacola at the better-equiped hospital rather than have to air-lift the baby after birth to that hospital.

I think I'm going to have the test. It's not all about whether you would abort a baby with problems; it's more about how you handle it on the front end (appropriate pre-natal care, delivery care, pediatric care) as well as how you prepare yourself emotionally and your home for a child with special needs.

Just my thoughts.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bridget021182 HB User

I had mine drawn last week. My feelings on the issue was to go ahead and have it done because I would rather know if there was even a slight chance for anything to be there and the midwife and doctors would be better prepared at birth for any complications and treatment if need be. Im still waiting on the results.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
(female)

Faythey HB User

I choose to have the quad screen, despite the fact that i have no family history or anything that might suggest a birth defect.

My doctor told me the false positive rate was 8%, not 90%. I think if it were 90% they wouldnt even bother...thats as good as some condoms are. I think the false negative rate was like 2 or 3%.

The only reason i choose to have it is because there are things that can be done to prepare for any complications. It seems like invaluble information that could potentially save a life.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I'm such a worrier, that I opted to have the test, but had pretty much decided that I probably wouldn't have had the amnio if it had been positive. It wasn't -- test was negative, so I could breathe a sigh of relief and get on with my pregnancy.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User

I think I've changed my mind 25 times since yesterday. Part of me would like to have the test in hopes that i will have a negative result. But I know I'd be sick if I ended up w/ a positive result. The result of a false positive w/ the quad screen is lower than w/ the triple screen. I am still undecided I have the paper work and can go April 8-15.

Thanks again for your responses.

Closed Thread